·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trucks, Texas, and Toyota
Motley Fool
Monday April 19, 1:30 pm ET
By Rich Smith

In 1985, my father decided to replace our baby blue, 1969 General Motors pickup ("Babe"). We wanted something a little less rusty, something with a real muffler on it rather than the sawed-off coffee can that Babe sported. A decade-long fan of Datsun -- now Nissan -- cars, Dad was looking at Nissan and Toyota pickups. But I dissuaded him: "Dad, buying a Japanese truck is like buying an Italian tractor -- it just isn't right. Only Americans can make real trucks."

Jingoistic argument or no, I ultimately won out and we got ourselves a Ford Ranger.

Fast-forward two decades and that argument no longer holds water. Half the Japanese car companies are partly owned by U.S. and European automakers, and it's anyone's guess how much of any given "American" truck was actually produced in the U.S. of A. Drive around the nation's capital, for example, and you can see the results of the globalization of the auto industry. It seems half the trucks on the road are sporty little Toyota Tacomas.

According to yesterday's Washington Post, the domestic/import truck battle, which is already fast being lost to Japan by GM, Ford and DaimlerChrysler's Dodge on the East Coast, is now heating up down in the heart of American truck country. In Texas, where barely 3.5% of registered trucks are foreign brands, that percentage is predicted to rise by half in 2004. Toyota's market share is only going to increase when it completes construction of its new San Antonio factory in 2006, where it plans to produce 150,000 Tundra pickups annually.

Texans already buy about 15% of all full-size pickups in the U.S. Given a choice between buying a Chevy truck from Detroit and a Toyota truck from San Antonio, Texan buyers are going to be hard-pressed to decide where their loyalties lie.

Full Article Here

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ever notice how Nissan and Toyota are always "on the verge" of stealing the truck market away from the Big 3? If you look you can find dire predictions from back to 1995.

Until Toyota moves its headquarters to Texas (yeah, like that will happen), you aren't going to see all Texans eagerly buying Toyotas. San Antonio will have its share of factory workers and community beneficiaries driving them with big grins, but don't expect Toyota fandom to radiate outward naturally.

The use of "jingoistic" in this article is also a telltale sign of someone who sees patriotism as a bad thing. I know a few people who yearn to convert me to Import brands --- they think only stubbord ******** and Union workers drive domestics, and I break the rules for them. The fact that the guy drives the outdated S-10 platform and is surrounded by "sporty Tacomas" probably leads to further bias. :p

"Must...join...the...herd!"

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by IMPALAon20s@Apr 19 2004, 03:13 PM
wonder if yao ming being asian had something to do with toyotas discission to buy the naming rights?
It did. The "Toy Box" was bought by Toyota because they knew it would be a good marketing tool for games shown even in China. Yep - the Chinese watch Yao Ming play on TV, too. The other thing they didn't tell the Houston taxpayer who helped fund it was that the Rockets picked up Toyota as their sponsor precisely because it is an "internationally recognized brand".

And a trip to Houston's Chinatown will tell you that 75% of the cars there are Toyohonda, so that might have had something to do with it, too.

I think Yao bought his mother a Lexus as well.

This also plays in to Toyota's desire to have a presence in every major city in Texas. San Antonio, and Houston first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.