GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although Toyota has recently claimed the title of the World's Largest Automaker in terms of global sales, the Japanese-giant is finding out that life at the top isn't all it's cracked-up to be. While the Camry, Corolla, Yaris and Prius sedans are reportedly brisk movers, the same thing cannot be said about Toyota's line of trucks and sport utility vehicles. Toyota has cut Tundra and Sequoia production already

continue at the link

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Although Toyota has recently claimed the title of the World's Largest Automaker in terms of global sales, the Japanese-giant is finding out that life at the top isn't all it's cracked-up to be. While the Camry, Corolla, Yaris and Prius sedans are reportedly brisk movers, the same thing cannot be said about Toyota's line of trucks and sport utility vehicles. Toyota has cut Tundra and Sequoia production already

continue at the link
Gee, AN and AB musta' revised the definition of brisk mover - for the Corolla.

MARCH 2008 / MARCH 2007/ %CH // 2008YTD / 2007YTD / %CH
25,109......../
34,355....../ -21.3 //. 67,047.../. 88,195.../ -23.0

Oh, I know, it must refer to February data.
21,202...... / 28,321..... / -28.1 //. 41,938.../. 53,840.../ -23.7

Oops that ain't it - well, maybe 'brisk mover' refers to how fast they're moving them (around) on the lots to make room for other product ????

·
Registered
906 Posts
The comments below the article are awesome. Nothing but Toyota fanboys crying about how no other manufacturer was mentioned in the article. To them I say "Welcome to being #1 fellas, us GM fanboys have been living in that world for far too long."

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts
Gee, AN and AB musta' revised the definition of brisk mover - for the Corolla.

MARCH 2008 MARCH 2007 %CH / 2008YTD 2007YTD %CH
34,355...... -21.3 .. 67,047... 88,195.. -23.0
"brisk" is not relative, it depends on the numbers regardless of comparisons with previous months/years. In other words they may be selling less, but they an still be brisk.

There is no surprise though why toyota's larger trucks are rotting on the lots, ugly and inefficient monstrosities that shouldn't have been conceived in the first place.

·
Premium Member
34,352 Posts
you think they have trouble, you wait until you see how the cheapened dollar hits their profitability. Some of their success has come directly from Japanese currency manipulation

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
There are still over a dozen '07 Tundras sitting on lots in the New Orleans area...

And $6000 on the hood of any '08 at one particular dealer.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
The US economy is sinking slowly and the market that is generally first hit by a slow down in the economy is the auto market. Sales have been down for many auto makers for about the past 8 months now and we are seeing in the second 1/4 of 2008 the slow down in the economy effecting the work force.

An obvious probably with our economy is the housing market however this may be a bad thing as it covers up the real problem with our market. After the second 1/4 of 2008 is over and companies look at where they stand and where they are heading for the 3rd 1/4 of 2008 and how many people are now jobless things are only going to get worse and possibly much worse before it gets better. At a time like this being big can actually be a bad thing.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
...we're nowhere near ready to count Toyota out, and we're sure that they are well aware that they are in the middle of an uphill battle where consumers will have more quality pickups to choose from than ever before.
I agree. It's way premature to cut Toyota out of this race. I'd rather see Detroit adopt a circle-the-wagons approach to Toyota, even though there are signs of [mild?] trouble at TMC. Between the relatively new Silverado and Sierra and the imminent 2009 F-Series and Ram, I'd like to see Detroit surround the Tundra and snuff it out. Ain't gonna happen, I know, but how 'bout making Toyota work for market share for once?

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
The 4 runners are selling like hotcakes...they are all over the place everywhere I go.

Nice trucks, too. The Tacoma and 4runner are the best Toyota products out there.

That being said, gas is expensive and people are waiting to see if they get laid off this quarter, so all car and truck sales are tight.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Like every other maker of Big BOF vehicles Toyota is at the mercy of the market right now. Like every other maker they are cutting production of the Tundra and Sequoia and bringing in fewer and fewer 4Runners/FJs. None of these are moving in any signigicant numbers.

The Corolla is a special issue because last month was the 'changeover' month from the old 08s to the new 09s. I think that this month might be much different. But....the Prius' are flying off the lots. $3.50 and $4.20 fuel costs will do that.

But again there's no surprises here. The market speaks its mind and every maker has to pay attention.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
you think they have trouble, you wait until you see how the cheapened dollar hits their profitability. Some of their success has come directly from Japanese currency manipulation
I too have wondered the exact same thing. Since North America is Toyota's number one market for revenue, the down turn of the US dollar is sure to hit financial results. Time will tell the story.

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
I too have wondered the exact same thing. Since North America is Toyota's number one market for revenue, the down turn of the US dollar is sure to hit financial results. Time will tell the story.

OTOH the RAV and the Highlander which til now were only made in Japan soon will be built in NA with cheaper NA materials and cheaper NA labor.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
The 4 runners are selling like hotcakes...they are all over the place everywhere I go.
You can't judge the market by what you see in your area. If that were true, the Saturn Aura would outsell the Malibu and Camry combined...according to Windsor/Essex County. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
The comments below the article are awesome. Nothing but Toyota fanboys crying about how no other manufacturer was mentioned in the article. To them I say "Welcome to being #1 fellas, us GM fanboys have been living in that world for far too long."
I taught of the same thing but I sing to the tune of Simple Plan's song "Welcome to my life"

I agree. It's way premature to cut Toyota out of this race. I'd rather see Detroit adopt a circle-the-wagons approach to Toyota, even though there are signs of [mild?] trouble at TMC. Between the relatively new Silverado and Sierra and the imminent 2009 F-Series and Ram, I'd like to see Detroit surround the Tundra and snuff it out. Ain't gonna happen, I know, but how 'bout making Toyota work for market share for once?
we could add the next-gen Nissan Titan (if it still bear the name Titan) to the list who'll use the Dodge Ram chassis and components. A pipe-dream scenario who could happen for the next-gen Tundra will be the beancounters at Toyota (if they have beancounters?:confused:) is to follow an approach similar to what Nissan did with the Titan resulting of a new "NUMMI".

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I thought GM had claimed number one in global sales?
They are. Toyo has higher production...which just means they made more then they sold.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I was under the impression that Toyota only scheduled production for vehicles that dealers have ordered. I thought I read Toyota representatives saying this when Chrysler was having its latest round of sales bank problems. Apparently Toyota does build cars and trucks without dealer orders.

One quote I found curious was, "Regardless of your viewpoint, we expect that Toyota will align itself with market realitites in order to bring production in line with actual sales sooner rather than later." It seems like later has already occurred.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
The article also mentioned that cars were sitting at ports or at sea. Funny thing to read about a car company that loves to mention how they "build 'em here."

Vehicles imported from Japan has increased because the Japanese Government also subsidizes products built there and exported. Not kidding.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts