GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had an interesting couple of days in the Middle Kingdom (China's name Zhong Guo means this).
Saw the torch relay yesterday -all of three seconds as it flashed past. I think we got the fastest runner near us.
Today i have been looking at some product ready to be exported. Real good quality it was. I looked at twenty and found one small fault. Mighty impressed i am.
It was very hot while i was at the factory (35C and high humdity. Now I am on a bus from Shunde to Zhuhai (the area just south west of Guangzhou towards Macao) and the weather is foul.The clouds are black as the Ace of spades and it has started to bucket down and lightning is flashing all around.
Real tropical weather. I hope its not raining in Zhuhai as I dont have an umbrella with me and might not be able to buy one before I get wet. Having the laptop to protect doesn't help either.
Still the weekend is here. Next week its back to Shunde on monday for more QC chekcs then off to Hangzhou on tuesday and wednesday for more of the same.
All good fun.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I am stuffed. Just got home. The trip from Shunde to Zhuhai took 3:15 (usually ) waited 10 minutes for a bus from Zhuhai to Pingsha and it went a bit slow. It took me from 5:45 to 10:30 to go less than 250K. Still 7 hours in busses today is a new personal best for me (ecept for interstaters of course)

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not Tibetan monks in evidence but there are a lot of Buddhist monks of all origins around Shenzhen most of the time. There are heaps of pagodas around China as a lot of people are Buddhists. In fact the area I was in yesteday (Shinde is part of a city calle FoShna which means Buddha's mountain. If it wasnt for an urgent task on monday i would have had a day relaing for the Budha's birthday (actually a Hong Kong Public Holiday).But I did here their were a couple of training officers from Philidelphia are coming here. seriously though that news item has been shown here but I havent been able to talk to anyone who can tell me what they have been saying about it. I hope they did a better job than CNN did with their "mis-captioned" photo.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I took a few crowd photos but I couldnt actually get a shot of the flame. There were so many hands etc in the way and went past so quickly.
hers some photos from the local English language newspaper -the Shenzhen Daily. have a browse through it -we get a pretty good service from the paper and its fairly informative even though most stories are lifted from other services.
Actually 18 expats carried the torch during the Shenzhen leg.

http://szdaily.sznews.com/html/2008-05/09/content_166970.htm

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
I took a few crowd photos but I couldnt actually get a shot of the flame. There were so many hands etc in the way and went past so quickly.
hers some photos from the local English language newspaper -the Shenzhen Daily. have a browse through it -we get a pretty good service from the paper and its fairly informative even though most stories are lifted from other services.
Actually 18 expats carried the torch during the Shenzhen leg.

http://szdaily.sznews.com/html/2008-05/09/content_166970.htm
Wow.
That must have been thrilling to participate in.

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow.
That must have been thrilling to participate in.
It was. Though like everywhere the police were exercising their control because they could. They stopped people from being in some places that had good views (but were above the route) instead of just checking everyone out they told us to move so we did.
i am glad they did actually because I ended up with some colleagues and a group of young people who were so in to the occassion. They really like that I had brought my Australian flag along (not many recognized it)and was waving it vigourously. Ten or so of them insisted on photos with me which was cool. Fortunately I am starting to talk and understand a lot more Chinese so i was able to tell the ones that spoke no English at all that I was from AoDaLiA which is how they say Australia (America is MeiGuo by the way -which means beautiful land).
The amazing thing was fifteen minutes after it had passed you could hardly tell it had been there. I have never seen a crowd so large disperse so quick.

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
I found the same thing when the torch went through Sydney. We were waiting for what seemed like hours though was probably 45 mins. Fortunately, I had filled a Sprite bottle with Tequila and Red bull (just to keep us cool of course).

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Are you going to any/many events?

I went to Tae Kwondo (much more brutal in real life!), Hockey ( you could smell them when they did their victory lap), 1 day of track and field (which was awesome) and something else that I missed because I got caught up on the Wine tent (also highly recommended) :D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.