GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mrt: GRRRRRR

I pitty the foo who wants a camaro without its stable mate, I love the Trans Am in very generation except the third and no one is talking about it's return !
a 98 through 02 trans am still has cutting edge style and are still selling used for between 15 and 25 thousand. WHY is the camaro getting all the tears, I miss my Screaming Chickens and SD/ RAM AIR Engines, more WS6, and "over the top" styling. Mix heritage and classic (not retro) lines, a whole lot of engine, and interiors that rival the GTO and what you have got is a seller and anther shot across the bow of Chrysler and Ford. WE NEED MORE MUSCLE CARS and for LUTZ sake we need a sport compact to beat the SRT-4 in price and muscle.
TURBO ECOTECH would look awesome one a valve cover. WHY DON"T PEOPLE UNDERSTAND: CHEAP + FAST = SELLER

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Get over it, there won't be a Firebird

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If you want a Firebird go ahead and buy one, you've got 35 years of models to choose from.

Moving to Pontiac Discussion......

·
Registered
114 Posts
I hope they just kill both the nameplates. It's not right to bring the Camaro back alone. **** that. Out with the old, in with the new then.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I hear you brother!
I love all gens Firebirds, especially the thirdgens!!
Altough I like a lot the camaros, I always thought they look kinda cheap, especially the interior (read seats). Why has actually sold better all that time, only because of the slightly lower price, or because of the way it looked from the exterior? So maybe that's why the stupid rustang sold better, just because it was cheaper? If that's the anatomy of the succes, and if the camaro will be reborn as a cheaper mustang, then is better to leave it dead!
For some reason or another, I can't really imagine one without the other, it would be pointless, because I'm sure no Firebird diehard will settle for a camaro!
Don't complain, by not buying a brand new exciting car from the Pontiac lineup, only GM loses! The problem is that if you aren't $$ready$$ to buy a new f-body, no one cares what you would like...

/end rant

truth be told, I think I would put a down payment for whatever ls2 4 seater will be around, but not as reffined (read $$$$) as the gto: I want a brute, and I want it convertible!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
AMEN!!! The Camaro has always been the ugly stepchild of the Firebird/Trans Am. I don't even look at the stretched out Camaros anymore, they are so ugly. If thewy make the Camaro on the same platform as the GTO, I'm gonna throw up. The Camaro is no wheres near the car that the GTO has always been. The GTO (and Firebird) have always been upscale of the Camaro. I'm so sick of Chevy this, Chevy that. Forget Chevrolet, people! Chevy has one nice looking car, the Vette, and not a whole lot coming on the horizon. People clamor for performance cars for Chevrolet, but Chevrolet is not a "performance"division, they are a sales volume division with bland styling to match.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Originally posted by LakeMichigan@Jun 11 2004, 09:44 AM
with all the renaming going on at GM, the chances of Trans Am, Firebird, Formula, Camaro, Z/28 and R/S nameplates coming back seems slim to none......
Really? What about the GTO?

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
If GM doesnt name the next Chevy coupe the Camaro, it will be just as bad in some peoples minds as naming the Monaro, GTO. You think there is uproar now about that? Wait till the Chevy Panther is released instead of Camaro.

You are not going to see a firebird or trans am again or at least within the next 10 years. Its no longer the Fbody that they are on... its Zeta. I could care less about the Bird coming back. I want my Camaro. Without the Camaro, the only Firebird would be the 3 gas turbine cars in GM's toy box.

and I bet half of you missed the "turbo ecotec" comment in the original posters thread. Yeah, a turbo 4cyl in a Bird... good luck with that one. I could just imagine the scene outside Pontiac HQ.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
In the chevrolet lineup, if you except the vette, only the camaro used to stand out because of his racing heritage. The problem is that lately the cars are styled like they would be made only for fleet sales. It's in a way like ford, something as basic as posible, but what bothers me, they are hardly styled, like they don't have the right for their own identity.
Add to this base, cheap mix sportiness=pontiac
add luxury=buick,
etc

Again, the camaro is a unique case, pretty much like the vette: the 81 was probably among the most aggresive cars, more than the t/a...

If we agree that no pontiac guy can see itself into a camaro and vice-versa, my only gripe is that when the performance 4 seats coupe/convertible will return, if it will be alone, it won't be the same. I do think that the gto won't survive more than 4 years, and when the camaro will be here, the bird will be too:
Face it, a firebird will sell much better than a gto, the gto, because of the -only v8- requirement will never acheive the volume sales of a v6 and v8 firebird lineup.
Maybe the gto is here only as a last minute low$$ solution untill the camaro/bird duo comes back, so that it won't leave all the sales to the rustang...
/ end wishfull thinking-ehhe-

·
Registered
372 Posts
All of the people that think the Camaro is in any way better than the firebird are sorely mistaken. every single year the firebird was faster, even when they were supposed to be the same vehicle, due to Pontiac-specific Ram-Air and aerodynamics. You guys need to realize this. The ONLY reason that the Camaro has as large a following as it does is the marketing of it over the years. I think that the Camaro should come back, and if it is to share the platoform of the GTO then it should have to use the LS2 as it's top engine when the GTO will get the LS7. I also think that Pontiac hinted long ago about it's wishes to make the Trans Am a mid-engine car with the 89 fiero concepts front emblems. I think that The Camaro should come back as a slightly less powerful platform mate of the GTO in 07 on Zeta, and that Pontiac should come out with a similarly proportioned mid-engine car with a rotary engine being the renamed Trans Am.

·
Registered
554 Posts
A rotary engine...?

Didn't they have a Corvette twin rotary concept in the 80's??

I don't think that would fly very well, especially if they do keep the Camaro name. How about a Rear-engined RWD platform?

i would go for that.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I think they should bring the Firebird back in 2008 on the sigma platform with a chevy counterpart. It could be smaller then the zeta cars but bigger then the kappas. The Chevy counterpart could be something like NOVA or VEGA. They could have smaller HP numbers like the 3.9 S/C V6 as a base model and the Caddy 4.6 V8 as an option. Maybe even throw in an LS1 or LS2.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
well, I really don't know about the t/a beeing faster...
maybe because it had sometimes different engine options (455SD; 6.6 at the end of the second gen, tta, etc). but the thirdgen tpi for instance had a more restrictive air cleaner assembly, and alwys made a couple of hp less than the camaro. I also suspect that in some years it was heavier, while sharing the same engines!

Don't ask me why it never existed a 454 camaro second gen or a turbo camaro third gen...

On the other hand, a mid or rear engine firebird is out of question: that is called a fiero! If that car would get real power, it would murder the vette, and that's not the point!

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Originally posted by Maetrix66@Jun 11 2004, 01:40 PM
AMEN!!! The Camaro has always been the ugly stepchild of the Firebird/Trans Am. I don't even look at the stretched out Camaros anymore, they are so ugly. If thewy make the Camaro on the same platform as the GTO, I'm gonna throw up. The Camaro is no wheres near the car that the GTO has always been. The GTO (and Firebird) have always been upscale of the Camaro. I'm so sick of Chevy this, Chevy that. Forget Chevrolet, people! Chevy has one nice looking car, the Vette, and not a whole lot coming on the horizon. People clamor for performance cars for Chevrolet, but Chevrolet is not a "performance"division, they are a sales volume division with bland styling to match.
First, the firebird is dead. Get over it.

Second, If it wasn't for Chevy and the Camaro there wouldn't have been a Firebird. GM gave the fbody to Pontiac after Pontiac wanted to use the upcoming Vette platform. GM rightfully said no to that. The firebird never out sold the Camaro, even with the Smokey and the bandit movies. So I guess people like the "ugly stepchild" better. Whichever is better looking is a matter of opinion.

Should the firebird come back, I don't think so. Pontiac has their upscale GTO and the solstice, they don't need a Firebird too. Evidently, the Camaro and the GTO will share the Zeta platform. I don't know if I like that or not, but it's not up to me.

Please let the Firebird RIP.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Originally posted by Maetrix66@Jun 11 2004, 01:44 PM
All of the people that think the Camaro is in any way better than the firebird are sorely mistaken. every single year the firebird was faster, even when they were supposed to be the same vehicle, due to Pontiac-specific Ram-Air and aerodynamics. You guys need to realize this.
Oh give me a break :rolleyes: Do some research.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Originally posted by Maetrix66@Jun 11 2004, 01:44 PM
I also think that Pontiac hinted long ago about it's wishes to make the Trans Am a mid-engine car with the 89 fiero concepts front emblems.
The tooling for this car was built, it would just need airbags to pass todays crash ratings. (C5 Corvette is built on a space frame similar to what the 84-88 fiero was built on) Dont discount this idea. I would be ready to buy it with a v8. :D :D :D

·
Registered
768 Posts
The Camaro may be faster in terms of 1/4 mile. When Pontiac introduced the second gen Trans Am they had better handling. I know I have owned both. The 78-79 Trans Am could out handle the Corvette. I still have the magazine article on the shoot out.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Having been employed the last 27 years selling GM products. I can tell you that near the end of the F-Body, the Trans Ams were out selling chevy. If GM didn't have its head you know were, and allowed for more Pontiac production, they would have really sold! Yes I have sold Chevoret products for over 10 years. I have noticed an unfair bias towards chey. From the top to the bottom, they have an attitude. Unfortunitly GM's other divisions have produced better products over the years.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Originally posted by 88Fiero@Jul 5 2004, 10:47 AM
I have noticed an unfair bias towards chey. From the top to the bottom, they have an attitude. Unfortunitly GM's other divisions have produced better products over the years.
I'm glad at least someone else is able to see this. They've been whining and crying and f'ing over other corporate brands back into the 60's when Chevy sabotaged the Buick Gran Sport program, and even in the 80's when they cried about the Grand National opening up a can of whoopass on the corvette in every aspect.

They give the brand way too much credit and power.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts