GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 trailblazer. It cost $35,000 new. The transmission went out at 45,000 miles. It cost $2800 to fix. The warranty expired at 36,000 miles. Chevy dealer fixed it and would not help pay for any of it. Why would I buy another chevy. I am an engineer and understand mechanical failure but I also understand customer satisfaction and loyalty. If they would've paid for half I wouldn't be angry.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
First of all, I feel your pain. Major mechanical problems are difficult to swallow, especially so short after the warranty expires. My Silverado's tranny messed up on me while we were driving for thanksgiving this past year at 17k. I'm glad mine was still under warranty though.

Secondly, you paid that much for a Trailblazer? I would think that you could've and would've negotiated a better deal than that- even for a fully loaded one.

I'm buying an extended warranty on mine and was something I definitely would have advised you to purchase. They are absolutely worth the money and peace of mind. Mechanical failures are going to happen regardless of brand. Don't blame Chevy until you research how many of these vehicles have failures vs the competition.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Shouldn't happen at 45,000 miles. Sorry that happened to you. But I don't care what brand of vehicle you have. If the tranny goes out after the warrenty expires, I dought any car mfg/dealer will pay for it.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I don't own a Trailblazer but I know a friend that swears by them. The last 3 vehicles he owned were Trailblazers and he never had problem with them. In fact his current Trailblazer is a 2002 model year. His only issue with it was the On Star which had to be upgraded to Digital. You probably got a lemon but I would be just as upset as you are.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
I got screwed on a Camry several years ago. (I actually got a Trailblazer afterward and couldn't have been more happy....120,000trouble free miles and I traded it for a Silverado b/c I needed a pickup).

There is no excuse for anything breaking on any Chevrolet before 100,000 miles unless there is severe abuse. I totally understand your frustration. Every Chevrolet should be able to go 200,000 miles on the factory powertrain, power equipment, and electronics.

We all need to hold Chevy to a different standard than any other car.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I have a 2002 trailblazer. It cost $35,000 new. The transmission went out at 45,000 miles. It cost $2800 to fix. The warranty expired at 36,000 miles. Chevy dealer fixed it and would not help pay for any of it. Why would I buy another chevy. I am an engineer and understand mechanical failure but I also understand customer satisfaction and loyalty. If they would've paid for half I wouldn't be angry.
GM actually encourages us to goodwill repairs for this reason. However, the decision is left up to the dealer, no matter who you talk to. The other problem is that although the mileage is low, its almost 7 model years old, and that is more than likely why they didnt help.

I have said time and time again, customers know at the time of sale what the terms of the warranty are, and are always offered extended warranties. Things happen, and GM lived up to their end of the deal by protecting it up to 3yr/36k (and now 5yr/100k). I still agree with you that the trans shouldnt have failed, but they can, and do, and you had your chance to protect yourself and didnt take it. Sorry....

·
Registered
902 Posts
I can just imagine all the future threads that will be on here.You know the people who buy a new GM product with the 5/100k powertrain warranty.The minute something fails after their warranty goes out they will be on here crying the warranty blues.I understand everyones frustration when something goes wrong and they have to pay for it.No offense,but if this guy would have purchased an extended warranty he would never have come on here to complain.There has to be a limit on what every car manufactor will cover beyond a stated warranty.If not they would all be out of business.I would also bet he could of received some sort of goodwill help with enough phone calls.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just because you payed $35,000 doesnt mean you got a better transmission and nothing should go wrong because the money you payed for it, I understand your mad about it but come on. He doesnt say how the Blazer was treated like towing beyond its max weight, abused, etc. His first post and comes off with something like that.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Our '03 Envoy has 40000 miles on it...no transmission problems, no engine problems, just some interior panels on the doors that are rattling and something's up with the suspension.
Are you getting what I call popping noises? My TB needed swaybar links. They are pretty easy to install.

·
Super Moderator
21,022 Posts
Are you getting what I call popping noises? My TB needed swaybar links. They are pretty easy to install.
I think it is a swaybar link problem. It sorta sounds like the sound you get when you stretch and compress a spring over and over again. It only happens when you hit a bump or something. Somebody told me it was the sway bar links...but I can't tell.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I think it is a swaybar link problem. It sorta sounds like the sound you get when you stretch and compress a spring over and over again. It only happens when you hit a bump or something. Somebody told me it was the sway bar links...but I can't tell.
That would be the problem. I bought mine from Rockauto, and installed them myself. Very easy to do, and save some money. Soak the old nuts in PB Blaster a couple days before.

·
Super Moderator
21,022 Posts
That would be the problem. I bought mine from Rockauto, and installed them myself. Very easy to do, and save some money. Soak the old nuts in PB Blaster a couple days before.
Well the thing is, I had that repaired by the dealer a few years ago. In fact, I think it was a year or two after we bought it. Not sure if they didn't do the job right or the part just wears out easily.

·
Registered
734 Posts
'02 and only 45,000 miles, I had that on my '06 Trailblazer within 2 years. Sorry to hear about your tranny problems. On my '00 Cavalier I was a little over 40,000 miles when I had some trouble with it and they took care of it, But then again that was back in '02.

·
Super Moderator
21,022 Posts
Just realized that I never actually replied to the original post...Like everyone else has said, this is in no way Chevy's fault. Your tranny was probably a lemon, everyone comes across one or two in their lifetime. I don't know why you're complaining, once the warranty expires, there's nothing more you can do. GM held its part of the bargain by selling you the car and maintaining it for 3 years/36,000 miles. Now it's up to you to make sure that the car is well cared for and properly maintained. I understand your frustration, but you can't blame Chevy for these problems. A car is full of moving parts, and eventually, they'll wear down. Just because your transmission wore out early doesn't mean that you should ditch the entire brand. If your camshaft had broken, tranny worn out, doors fell off, axles snapped, then maybe you shouldn't buy another Chevy.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Well the thing is, I had that repaired by the dealer a few years ago. In fact, I think it was a year or two after we bought it. Not sure if they didn't do the job right or the part just wears out easily.

You might go back to the dealer. They might replace them for free. Who knows.

I doubt hammer1 applies back. I hope you 199,999 trouble free miles, and you feel like you can take another look at GM when the time comes to replace it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
were you doing your maintenance at the store that sold the trailblazer to you? if so the service manager in most cases has the authority to good will problems like you had, in most cases they would have been able to get gm to pick up at least 1/2 of the repair cost if not all of it. if you are a loyal service customer they should have been willing to go the extra mile for you, if not that is one good reason you should have been using your local dealer especially if he sold it to you.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts