GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota Will Pay $180 Million over Clean Air Act Violations
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35226937/toyota-fine-clean-air-act-violation/

BY ANNIE WHITE
JAN 15, 2021

The automaker has settled with the federal government over a decade-long emissions defect reporting violation.

- Between 2005 and 2015, Toyota failed to follow proper reporting procedures for emission-related issues with its vehicles in the U.S. market, according to a settlement it just reached with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

- Toyota employees in Japan knew about the issues but failed to correct them, the federal government said in a civil lawsuit against the automaker.

- Toyota has agreed to a record $180 million fine but says the issues resulted in "negligible" emissions impacts, "if any."

Toyota has agreed to pay a $180 million fine to the United States government over violations of Clean Air Act protocol that went on for a decade between 2005 and 2015. The violation was related to timely reporting of defects that interfered with some cars' tailpipe emission regulation systems. In a federal lawsuit, the EPA said that Toyota managers and other employees in Japan knew about the issues but systematically failed to report them as agreed between 2005 and 2015.

more at link

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Good thing Toyota cares so much about the environment and is so green! But, as with VW, no on will care (though I thin VW was worse).

Edit: Ed pointed out below that this appears to be more of an issue in filing paperwork vs. them actually having emission issues.... So not exactly VW-like diesel cheating.

·
Registered
20,222 Posts
Good thing Toyota cares so much about the environment and is so green! But, as with VW, no on will care (though I thin VW was worse).
Between 2005 and 2015, Toyota failed to follow proper reporting procedures for emission-related issues with its vehicles in the U.S. market.........................

............. Toyota has agreed to a record $180 million fine but says the issues resulted in "negligible" emissions impacts, "if any."

:unsure:

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Between 2005 and 2015, Toyota failed to follow proper reporting procedures for emission-related issues with its vehicles in the U.S. market.........................

............. Toyota has agreed to a record $180 million fine but says the issues resulted in "negligible" emissions impacts, "if any."

:unsure:
If Toyota says they didn't do anything but will pay the fine anyway, they must be telling the truth :D They aren't my drugs officer, I don't know who put them in my pants pocket! :fall:

Edit: Ed pointed out below that this appears to be more of an issue in filing paperwork vs. them actually having emission issues.... So not exactly VW-like diesel cheating.

·
Registered
20,222 Posts
If Toyota says they didn't do anything but will pay the fine anyway, they must be telling the truth :D They aren't my drugs officer, I don't know who put them in my pants pocket! :fall:
WUT!?

Where does it say; Toyota says they did nothing wrong?

:blink:

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
11,720 Posts
It sounds like to me that yes they did try to get away with something, but the all knowing Feds caught on. Seeing however that it is Toyota: Fine paid/all is good, and it'll be swept under the rug and forgotten by John and Jane Q. Buyer because we all know that Toyota is like a God and can do no wrong. ;)

·
Registered
20,222 Posts
It sounds like to me that yes they did try to get away with something, but the all knowing Feds caught on. Seeing however that it is Toyota: Fine paid/all is good, and it'll be swept under the rug and forgotten by John and Jane Q. Buyer because we all know that Toyota is like a God and can do no wrong. ;)
The entire 28 page document is there for your reading in the C&D article.

It's been on-going for years, what happened Thursday, was just the conclusion/settlement of the dispute, I doubt Toyota thought they were going to get away with it.

·
Registered
11,720 Posts
The entire 28 page document is there for your reading in the C&D article.

It's been on-going for years, what happened Thursday, was just the conclusion/settlement of the dispute, I doubt Toyota thought they were going to get away with it.
Initially like VW they probably did.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Or the "officer these are not my pants I have on, don't know who's they are"

Reactions: jzchev28

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Or the "officer these are not my pants I have on, don't know who's they are"
Hahahaa! Yes! Heard that one on Cops too!

I never once in my life had pants on that I didn't know where they came from, just sort of appeared on me!

·
Registered
16,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WUT!?

Where does it say; Toyota says they did nothing wrong?

:blink:
Toyota has agreed to a record $180 million fine but says the issues resulted in "negligible" emissions impacts, "if any."
They are saying "yeah, we didn't report the problems, but it's really ok, it's nothing, we didn't really do anything wrong."

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Anyone remember when GM agreed to pay hundreds of millions of dollars to the Federal Government, and to establish a victim’s compensation fund with hundreds of millions of dollars, for failing to report know defects in the ignition switches of numerous GM vehicles - which led to numerous documented injures and deaths?

The agreement and payments enabled GM to avoid criminal charges, which were deferred.

·
Registered
11,720 Posts
They are saying "yeah, we didn't report the problems, but it's really ok, it's nothing, we didn't really do anything wrong."
Their response is just that. There's nothing here so move along kind of a response to what happened.

·
Registered
20,222 Posts

"Clean Air Act regulations requires manufacturers to notify the EPA when twenty-five or more vehicles or engines in a given model year have the same defect in an emission control part or an element of design installed in order to comply with emission standards and other EPA regulations"

Not twenty-five percent, not twenty-five thousand, not twenty-five hundred, 25.

Reading through the case, it appears to be that their biggest crime was disrespecting and ignoring the EPA, for not crossing their "T's" and dotting their "I's" after they informed that they weren't doing so.

***Analogy*** You get pulled over, for going 2 MPH over (because the cop doesn't like you) and you lip-off to the cop and get thrown in jail and pay a big fine.

"Some reports were filed as late as eight years after they were due and only when Toyota finally disclosed its years of noncompliance to the EPA"

Sounds like someone new was in charge of this, and said, "we've got to make this right" they didn't get caught, as much as they turned themselves in.

***Analogy*** You've been driving drunk for years, and one day you finally come clean, go into the police station, throw your key on the counter and lock yourself in a jail cell.

·
Registered
11,720 Posts
"Clean Air Act regulations requires manufacturers to notify the EPA when twenty-five or more vehicles or engines in a given model year have the same defect in an emission control part or an element of design installed in order to comply with emission standards and other EPA regulations"

Not twenty-five percent, not twenty-five thousand, not twenty-five hundred, 25.

Reading through the case, it appears to be that their biggest crime was disrespecting and ignoring the EPA, for not crossing their "T's" and dotting their "I's" after they informed that they weren't doing so.

***Analogy*** You get pulled over, for going 2 MPH over (because the cop doesn't like you) and you lip-off to the cop and get thrown in jail and pay a big fine.

"Some reports were filed as late as eight years after they were due and only when Toyota finally disclosed its years of noncompliance to the EPA"

Sounds like someone new was in charge of this, and said, "we've got to make this right" they didn't get caught, as much as they turned themselves in.

***Analogy*** You've been driving drunk for years, and one day you finally come clean, go into the police station, throw your key on the counter and lock yourself in a jail cell.
That's what I gathered by reading the filing. They knew it and ignored procedure basically. I'm done spouting off because I don't want locked in my room. ;)

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
... Reading through the case, it appears to be that their biggest crime was disrespecting and ignoring the EPA, for not crossing their "T's" and dotting their "I's" after they informed that they weren't doing so. ...
Bingo!

This is all about reminding Toyota who's the boss and little else.

Reactions: 1958carnut
1 - 20 of 26 Posts