GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toyota Motor Corp., which is competing strongly with GM for market share, has three brands (Toyota, Lexus and Scion) and roughly 1,200 dealers, compared with 7,000 for GM.

Did you know that? Toyota can outsell GM in America with 1200 dealers. Can anyone see the issues with this?

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
One thing I'm unclear on is if that's 7000 stores or if that counts multiple brands per store. Most GM dealers seem to have some combination of brands (rarely according to the "channels").

Either way it is ridiculous, there's probably a ton of dealers competing with the GM store across the street.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
One thing I'm unclear on is if that's 7000 stores or if that counts multiple brands per store. Most GM dealers seem to have some combination of brands (rarely according to the "channels").

Either way it is ridiculous, there's probably a ton of dealers competing with the GM store across the street.
Good question. Like, there's never just a "Pontiac" dealership, it's usually a GMC and Buick dealership too.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Good question.
Yeah, it is a good question. I think it must be 7000 stores because I remember reading there were around 4300 chevy franchises 2800 pontiac franchises and that is already over 7000. Then there is Saturn (430), Buick (3000), Hummer (167), and Cadillac (1600). I never found a dealer count for GMC and Saab.

That was about 2 years ago, though, and GM has been consolidating since then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.