GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Found this on www.pickuptruck.com. Hope its not a repost.

New TRD Supercharger Reportedly Rated at 504-Horsepower for 5.7-Liter V8 By: Mike Levine Posted: 04-09-08 22:19 PT
© 2008 PickupTruck.com
Page: [1]
Dealers continue to reveal secrets about future products.
A forum member ('jkchang') at Tundra Solutions, who apparently works for Longo Toyota in El Monte, California, was visited by reps from Toyota Racing Development (TRD) interested in discussing future product with sales staff on the frontlines. After the pipeline talk ended the TRD folks revealed a new Toyota Sequoia equipped with TRD's long anticipated supercharger bolted on its 5.7-liter iForce V8 - the same eight cylinder engine shared with the Tundra - sitting outside in the parking lot. jkchang says TRD claims it's rated at 504-horsepower. That's 123-horsepower more than the naturally aspirated 5.7-liter V8. No word on torque.
A story like this could be taken with a huge grain of salt, except jkchang also took pictures of what looks to be a legit TRD compressor on top of a 5.7-liter V8. And Toyota has previously stated its 5.7-liter TRD supercharger was rated at "around 500-hp" on its project trucks, like last year's Toyota Tundra Double Cab TRD Off-Road Concept.
PickupTruck.com sources at Toyota have told us the 5.7-liter supercharged Tundra has been clocked running the 1/4-mile in the mid-13s. They also say it will be the fastest vehicle in the Toyota lineup, excluding Lexus and, ahem, Scion.
Check out jkchang's first drive impression of a supercharged 5.7-liter iForce V8 at Tundra Solutions.
Page: [1]

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hmmm............Lets take a truck that gets 13 mpg combined and add a supercharger.

Who cares if it has 500 hp, if it gets 10 mpg no one will be able to afford to drive it.

Good job toyota, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Let the unrelenting Toyo bashing begin! If Chevy debuted the new Silverado SS with 500hp people would be going crazy over how awesome it was, regardless of fuel mileage. (these kind of trucks are not for the masses, and only people with sufficiant funds will buy and drive them). But since its Toyota, oh geez people cant handle that! Give it up. 500hp is cool wheather in a Chevy or Toyota. I've always thought Toyota was kinda cool in the way they offer Toyota "TRD" Supercharger for their trucks, for those who can afford it. I think it would be cool if Chevy offered a GM Performance Parts Supercharger for the Vortec engines.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
there seems to be a very limited market for such a vehicle to the point of they will probably only sell a TRD Tundra for a few years. However things might change in the coming years so who knows, will be interesting to see though.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Awesome. A dealer installed supercharger.
GM could easily put the LSA into a reg cab- short bed Silvy making 550hp.
GM wins.

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts
I still hate performance full size trucks and SUVs. It makes no sense, if you want speed and power, get a sports car, not a behemoth tundra/sequoia.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I thought supercharger improves mpg. Or at least, mpg should be the same.

Hmmm............Lets take a truck that gets 13 mpg combined and add a supercharger.

Who cares if it has 500 hp, if it gets 10 mpg no one will be able to afford to drive it.

Good job toyota, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Let the unrelenting Toyo bashing begin! If Chevy debuted the new Silverado SS with 500hp people would be going crazy over how awesome it was, regardless of fuel mileage. (these kind of trucks are not for the masses, and only people with sufficiant funds will buy and drive them). But since its Toyota, oh geez people cant handle that! Give it up. 500hp is cool wheather in a Chevy or Toyota. I've always thought Toyota was kinda cool in the way they offer Toyota "TRD" Supercharger for their trucks, for those who can afford it.
There wouldn't be nearly as much bashing if Toyota hadn't ****ed up the Tundra in the first place and actually gotten it right the first time......

Toyota should've learned from Dodge too......the SRT-10 wasn't exactly a hot seller, but hey at least this seems to be an option and not part of a full fledged model (right?)

Ford should have a field day with this.......I see Chevy being more cautious and Dodge being the ever-present follower....

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
"Toyota Uping the Ante? Where Are you Chevy?"

Is this a joke? Chevrolet is selling a Tahoe that gets 21 mpg. It gets great media review and is giving GM a great reputation. Toyota's response is a 504hp Sequoia? What an absolute, utter joke. Other than 3-4 NBA players, rap stars and pimps, who is going to buy it? Toyota is completely alienating the enviro-greenies just as GM is ramping up 2 mode production.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Just cause one manufacturer has something doesn't mean everyone else needs it. I'd much rather see GM investing in a diesel or hybrid Silverado then a supercharged one. I don't think super-fast trucks are high on peoples minds, maybe 10yrs ago with the Lightning and SRT10 but not now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Toyota should've learned from Dodge too......the SRT-10 wasn't exactly a hot seller, but hey at least this seems to be an option and not part of a full fledged model (right?)
Correct. If and when the TRD Supercharger comes out you can get it on any 5.7 Tundra, irregardless of trim or model.

I thought supercharger improves mpg. Or at least, mpg should be the same.
Supposedly, but more than likely you will have to run 91 octane and take it easy to keep the mileage the same. But with 500hp+ it would be hard to take it easy and then what would the point of the supercharger be?

there seems to be a very limited market for such a vehicle to the point of they will probably only sell a TRD Tundra for a few years. However things might change in the coming years so who knows, will be interesting to see though.
Not all TRD Tundra's will have a SC from the factory (or a dealer installed option), in fact very few will. The Tundra has always had a TRD option, it is an Off-Road package similar to a Z71 package (minus the locker).

TRD used to make a supercharger for the 4.7V8 (prev gen Tundra) until the 05 model year came out. The 4.7 went to VVT and the supercharger was no longer compatable.

If the 5.7 Supercharger costs anything close to the TRD supercharger for the 4.0 V6 found in the Tacoma and FJ than it will be really high. That SC costs about $4000 WITHOUT installation. All trucks are expensive now, adding 4-5k on a sticker is qutie a jump.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It'll destroy the engine! The camshaft was already under enough pressure to snap.....

What would you do with this? Throw a piston through the block?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
There wouldn't be nearly as much bashing if Toyota hadn't ****ed up the Tundra in the first place and actually gotten it right the first time......
You really think that??

The Tundra bashing began when the truck was shown or seen in the sheet metal for the first time. Whether nor not the issues regarding the camshafts and the tailgate happened or not would not have changed anything.

Damn near everyone on this site believed the Japanese couldnt create a "real" truck and they never and still dont respect the Tundra.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
You really think that??

The Tundra bashing began when the truck was shown or seen in the sheet metal for the first time. Whether nor not the issues regarding the camshafts and the tailgate happened or not would not have changed anything.

Damn near everyone on this site believed the Japanese couldnt create a "real" truck and they never and still dont respect the Tundra.
I have nothing against the last-gen Tundra.....that seemed to be a decent F150 competitor Toyota should've improved upon within the cab (interiors) and under the skin (powertrain/suspension etc).

With this Tundra, what I'm saying is there would still be people bashing it & this supercharger option.......but not nearly as many as if the truck hadn't had so many major problems surface in such a short period after it's introduction. Anyone who says the camshafts, tailgates and other problems are 'non-issues' is blindly ignorant.

Did Nissan screw the Titan up in the same short period after it was launched?? :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
I can't help but think of a turd everytime I read/see TRD.
My, I move quick around here.
About 1.5 years ago, I coined that ("TRD is an acronym for TuRD") on the Car and Driver message boards before they banned me for asking if the Honda Accord comes with a standard or optional ouiji board with the standard "telepathic steering" rack they tested.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
My, I move quick around here.
About 1.5 years ago, I coined that ("TRD is an acronym for TuRD") on the Car and Driver message boards before they banned me for asking if the Honda Accord comes with a standard or optional ouiji board with the standard "telepathic steering" rack they tested.
People on certain Toyota forums started using that term over 6 years ago, and many people even before that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts