GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I was thinking about why manufactures didn't use solar panels to power the a/c after reading up on the Aptera. Seems like it could work well on GM's BAS system to power a/c when the car is in auto-stop.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I have been thinking about this for a while , why dont GM design a solar panel for the Volt so lets say when you are at work and for the people that let their cars outside in the sun for 6 to 8 hours this could help recharge the batteries maybe not a 100% recharge but half would be damn good since that way save half of what you would had spended plug in the car

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
Solar panels on the volt would be awesome

How about also adding some airinlets that turn windmills that can recharge the batteries as well.
That would slow the car down if you used it while driving. Now, if you're proposing while stopped - it would be largely ineffective, but might add a tiny bit of power.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I have been thinking about this for a while , why dont GM design a solar panel for the Volt so lets say when you are at work and for the people that let their cars outside in the sun for 6 to 8 hours this could help recharge the batteries maybe not a 100% recharge but half would be damn good since that way save half of what you would had spended plug in the car
That is an excellent idea! I also like Honda's creation of solar parking garages where you charge up while parked.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I was thinking about why manufactures didn't use solar panels to power the a/c after reading up on the Aptera. Seems like it could work well on GM's BAS system to power a/c when the car is in auto-stop.
I read somewhere several years ago that Buick was supposed to offer that as an option on the Park Ave. I guess it didn't happen the, did it? It was supposed to run a little fan or A/C unit to keep the cabin temps down a bit when the car was parked.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
I read somewhere several years ago that Buick was supposed to offer that as an option on the Park Ave. I guess it didn't happen the, did it? It was supposed to run a little fan or A/C unit to keep the cabin temps down a bit when the car was parked.
I too remember something about that....what an elegantly simple effective solution to getting into an oven on a summer day...so of COURSE GM did not impliment it...best to leave it to a competitor to offer.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I've been saying forever that the HUGE roofs on Hummer's need Solar Panels.........

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
That's great if it never gets dark or cloudy where you live.
They're not used as a primary source of power, just as a supplement whenever possible.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Solar panels on the volt would be awesome

How about also adding some airinlets that turn windmills that can recharge the batteries as well.
Well, GM needs to one-up Toyota by making a car that runs on pessimism. These cars driven by us Americans would get AMAZING gas mileage.

·
Registered
620 Posts
"Air inlets for little windmills?"
Not to be rude, but did you ever take basic physics? Unless you have a perpetual motion machine? Law of Conservation of Energy - might want to check it out!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Why would anyone on earth COMPLAIN about a car having solar power for certain amenities? Some of you people are ridiculous.
Because its a Toyota, duh.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts