·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
www.autoblog.com

Toyota responds to Ford's new initial quality ads

Posted May 12th 2008 9:27AM by Chris Shunk
Filed under: Etc., Marketing/Advertising, Ford, Toyota

Anybody who has watched more than 30 minutes of television the past couple weeks has likely seen Ford's new ads claiming that the automaker has caught up to Toyota and Honda with regards to initial quality. Toyota certainly has, and it apparently doesn't like the Blue Oval's boastful tone.On Toyota's Open Road blog, Mike Michels seems taken aback at the claim, stating that the initial quality survey Ford cites was commissioned by the automaker and performed by a third-party company not affiliated with the well-known J.D. Power & Associates. He then spends a few paragraphs discrediting initial quality in the first place, citing J.D. Power figures that show the difference between the best and worst vehicles during the first few months of ownership were a mere .8 problems per vehicle. Of those problems, most of them were customer preferences and not actual issues that needed repair.

While we agree that initial quality is far from the complete quality story, it's incredible that Toyota would discredit a stat that has been a pillar of its own high quality image. The Toyota and Lexus brands have been among the leaders in initial quality for ages, which anyone would say is a result of great design, engineering and manufacturing. But now that other automakers are catching up, it seems Toyota wants to label initial quality as insignificant. Either way, we'll just have to wait another 3-5 years to find out if a Ford Fusion built today holds up as well as a Toyota Camry.

[Source: Toyota]

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still think the escape looks better than the Rav4 but thats just me.

I would have to agree.. but then I also think the Vue looks better then the Escape.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Toyota being childish as always.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I try to be unbiased against Toyota (and other japanese automakers; not korean, lol), but sometimes they come off so disingenuous. This reminds me of all the propaganda they spewed after the Volt unveiling. Series hybrids are stupid...li-ion are unsafe...blah blah blah...we'll see...

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Hmm...I do not really think much of it. I would expect a response like this from any carmaker. Maybe they should have thought their response through a little more before they made it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Personally, I do not buy a car or any major purchased because of good initial quality. Most products now a day (even the Chinese knock-off) will last a good 6 months to a year before something major happened (Esp. the original Kia and Hyundai). However, there is some rare time when the knock-off was actually better than the original. Therefore, I do not shop car or any major products base on initial quality.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
What he's saying is exactly the same as what most of you are quick to say when people point out Toyota is beating Chevy in IQ.

So who's being childish?
Well, the difference is that we're a bunch of guys goofing off online, and that is the official response from Toyota. We are anonymous, not representives of one of the largest coprorations in the world, we can be childish if we want to.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Well, the difference is that we're a bunch of guys goofing off online, and that is the official response from Toyota. We are anonymous, not representives of one of the largest coprorations in the world, we can be childish if we want to.
It also follow their pattern - anytime of of their competitors gets something over them, Toyota does it best to belittle that competition.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Great post! Best one so far regarding the Toyota-defenders.

·
Registered
292 Posts
So if .8 problems per vehicle is now insignificant for new car quality, then it must certainly be so for the JD Power three year dependability study.

So that brings every one from number twenty Chevrolet (2.26) on down to the number one Buick (1.45) as equal for top quality.

And if it is more important what the customers say, then the numers of problems, how would he explain Toyota and Scion poor showing in the JD Power Satisfaction surveys? Sales Satisfaction found them below industry average at #27 (with Scion #29) and Service Satisfaction found them at #27 again and Scion at #32.

·
Premium Member
12,557 Posts
So calling someone or something childish when you too are in fact childish isn't much of an insult is it?

I believe it's called hypocrisy.

Great post! Best one so far regarding the Toyota-defenders.
you sound like you're afraid to think.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Wow, initially I though the Ford commercials were a bit funny, then I started to think about all the issues that have been popping up with the Camry and the Tundra and at the very least made me start to wonder what is really going on at Toyota... And now they respond like this, interesting to say the least... Combine that and all the recent Toyota Executive defections and maybe the glasses are starting to not look so rosy over in Toyota land....

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
So calling someone or something childish when you too are in fact childish isn't much of an insult is it?

I believe it's called hypocrisy.
It's called holding them to a higher standard. They shouldn't have to sink to our level (our level being the snarky-commenting, hiding-behind-a-keyboard, work-avoiding, cubicle-drone).

you sound like you're afraid to think.
So if someone agrees with you, would you say that they can't think on their own?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.