GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/09/news/companies/toyota_recall.ap/index.htm?postversion=2008040913

Toyota recalling 539,500 vehicles
Japanese automaker says a bolt problem in the doors of 2003-2004 Corolla and Matrix models could cause windows to shatter.
Last Updated: April 9, 2008: 1:17 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) --
Toyota Motor Corp. is recalling 539,500 Corolla and Matrix passenger cars in the United States because the bolts in the power window system can become loose and ultimately cause a window to shatter.

Toyota said Wednesday it had received reports of 143 cases in which the bolts at the bottom of the power window assembly became loose, caused the window to rattle or led to the window breaking.

Toyota spokesman Joe Tetherow said there had been one minor accident and 15 injuries reported. He said he did not know how many complaints Toyota had received of windows shattering.

The recall involves 2003-2004 model year Corolla and Matrix vehicles equipped with power windows. Vehicles with manual windows are not part of the recall.

The automaker said if the window bolts become loose, motorists may hear an abnormal noise from the driver or front passenger door while operating the power windows.

<continued at link>
http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/09/news/companies/toyota_recall.ap/index.htm?postversion=2008040913

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Good.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Probably because they can blame this one on a vendor, better yet, an American vendor.
Aren't they blaming it on the customer?

The press release makes it sound like the glass is only breaking if the customer doesn't bring the car in after hearing the noise getting worse and worse.

Probably didn't tell GM, so GM will be a day or two behind getting their paperwork in for a Vibe recall.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Well well well...looks like GM and Ford aren't the only one with recalls...who knew?
The bad news is that this will most likely affect the Vibe as well.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Maybe GM noticed the problem before they sold the car and has already fixed it? Or they noticed the complaints and fixed it before they sold the cars? It's a possibility.

·
Registered
190 Posts
wasnt there a post some weeks ago on the vibes and toys having the windows shatter
There was, though I think it was more like a few months ago. I responded to the thread, as my wife's vibe has this problem. At times it sounds like the glass is about to break when moving the window.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Welcome to the forum Lowsl2. It's nice to have someone that works at a GM plant making toyotas giving us good insite on both companies.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
just read in Automotive news....
Toyota and GM recalling 660,000 cars for window defect.
540,000 corollas and matrixes, and 123,000 Pontiac Vibes.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
For comparison sake, how many Cobalts and HHRs does Chevy sell a year?

5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Toyota and GM recalling 660,000 cars for window defect.
I still find it odd that GM still had this joint venture. I guess GM is following that old Mafia saying, "Keep you friends close, and your enemies closer".

My '72 C-10 pickup was made at Fremont. So I would like to see Fremont (NUMMI) either be a straightup GM plant again, or sell it to Toyota. Just my thoughts ...

Just something about sleeping with the enemy I don't like ...

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Good thing my brother's '04 Vibe has manual windows...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts