GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toyota executives, in an article published in Wednesday's Wall Street Journal, said they are thinking about moving the production of the Tundra out of its Princeton, Ind., plant and concentrating it in San Antonio, where some of the trucks are now made.
But Kelly Dillon, a Toyota spokeswoman at the Princeton plant, said she knows of no such plan.
The report comes as the Japanese automaker continues to report declining year-to-year sales since July. The bad news continued Tuesday, when Toyota said its March sales had fallen 3.4 percent below those of March 2007.
In February, the company said disappointing sales were prompting it to slow its production at the Princeton plant, where it makes Tundra trucks, Sequoia sport utility vehicles and Sienna minivans. Even so, Toyota has no plans to layoff any of the 4,500 full-time workers now employed there.
It has instead taken smaller steps, such as parting ways with the nearly 400 temporary employees who had worked at the plant since last May.

More at:
http://www.courierpress.com/news/2008/apr/03/paper-reports-toyota-moving/

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
It's kinda crazy- you want the competition to do bad but feel horrible for the American employees that lose thier job. I think Toyota is doing a good job keeping as many jobs around as possible without having to slash them. I fear that will come soon enough though.....

·
Banned
6,653 Posts
It's kinda crazy- you want the competition to do bad but feel horrible for the American employees that lose thier job. I think Toyota is doing a good job keeping as many jobs around as possible without having to slash them. I fear that will come soon enough though.....
7 counties away, Honda is in the process of building a new factory. I wonder if Honda would hire non-union ex-Toyota employees.

·
Registered
181 Posts
7 counties away, Honda is in the process of building a new factory. I wonder if Honda would hire non-union ex-Toyota employees.
Toyota also builds Sequoia and Siennas at the Indiana plant. I doubt they layoff any employees. The PR would be too negative and Toyota has the money to pay the employees regardless of the volume of the plant.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The plant is not that old, and I don't think they will close it anytime soon. Sounds like truck production may go down, and they will build something else there.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Toyota also builds Sequoia and Siennas at the Indiana plant. I doubt they layoff any employees. The Page Ranking would be too negative and Toyota has the money to pay the employees regardless of the volume of the plant.
"Page Ranking" got ya. :D PR P R P.R. PR

So GM has hadrly built a truck onver a month and Toyota hasn't capitalized on that...no surprise. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
410 Posts
I\'m not surprised the tundra is selling horribly. Looks like everyone got the message about tailgates, camshafts, the works.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Toyota Tundra sales have actually gone up in March 08 compared to March 07, and YTD compared to YTD 07.

At the same time, both Silverado and Sierra sales are down in the same measure.

Here are the numbers:

Toyota Tundra

March08..... 14,311
March07..... 13,196
Change: +8.5%

YTD March08..... 40,784
YTD March07..... 29,186
Change: +39.7%

Chevrolet Silverado
March08..... 46,063
March07..... 61,122
Change: -24.6%

YTD March08..... 132,648
YTD March07..... 168,010
Change: -21%

GMC Sierra
March08..... 15,919
March07..... 16,503
Change: -3.5%

YTD March08..... 44,207
YTD March07..... 47,790
Change: -7.5%

Sources:
Toyota: http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?id=TYT2008040198482
GM: http://media.gm.com/servlet/Gateway...monthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=74&docid=44734

So, based on your assumption, more people must have found about "the works" for Silverado/Sierra, right?

Last year, people here were crying how the March07 sales had many 06 Tundras, because the new Tundras by itself couldn't achieve the sales number. Well, looking at the March 08 numbers, it is evident that Toyota is secretly producing the old Tundras so that their sales numbers would increase:rolleyes:

·
Registered
410 Posts
So GM has hadrly built a truck onver a month and Toyota hasn't capitalized on that...no surprise. :rolleyes:
It's not like not building a truck over a month resulted in a countrywide shortage of GM trucks. GM truck sales actually went down, you know?

By the way Uzzy, thanks for all your help at the Saturn forum. I was able to replace/repair a bunch of things in my superPOS 97 SC2. It's someone else's problem now. A month after I sold it, the new buyer called and told me that it burns 3 quarts of oil every 200 miles.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
By the way Uzzy, thanks for all your help at the Saturn forum. I was able to replace/repair a bunch of things in my superPOS 97 SC2. It's someone else's problem now. A month after I sold it, the new buyer called and told me that it burns 3 quarts of oil every 200 miles.
Any time. Suggest that they check out the forum, sounds like an "MMO Piston Soak" or two would be in order. They're great little cars when the simple stuff is taken care of. It usually doesn't take too much to save the neglected ones.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'll believe the man in the moon before I believe anything that comes out of that lying organization.
Last I heard, it was GM who wrote off $30B+ as a onetime "accounting adjustment", not Toyota. If there's any kind of shady practice going on, it's more likely inside GM than Toyota.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts