GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/18/toyota-lays-off-200-temp-workers-at-tundra-plant/

The full-size pickup truck woes continue to worsen, leaving even mighty Toyota little choice but to slow production of its Tundra model. In fact, Toyota's brand new plant in San Antonio that was built just for the Tundra will be shutting down a total of 14 days between now and October. Full-time workers at the plant will be able to use vacation days, take the time off unpaid or find something else at the plant to do while the assembly line is halted.

Unfortunately, temp-to-hire workers aren't so lucky. Two-hundred employees who were hoping to land full-time positions at the plant will be laid off this summer. Toyota spokesman Mike Goss says, "We have a very long-term view of that factory in Texas. We're trying not to overreact. We're trying not to shut it down." Whoa... back up. Shut it down? We hadn't heard any such thing until it was spoken by Goss. Sounds like things are just as bad for Toyotas with beds as they are for pickups from Detroit.
Pssst...Lordstown Assembly is hiring...come to the good side, temp workers.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Good, less Turds on the road :)
I feel sorry for the temps, or that what they were, TEMPS!

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
Sorry to hear see that even more Americans are losing jobs because of the economy and oil crisis. Hopefully they'll find something soon.

Toyota really screwed the pooch on the new Tundra. It just goes to show you how quickly times can change with our economy!

·
Banned
110 Posts
wow no strike!!! come on gm/ford cant even shut down for a break without the union wantting some sort of compensation. yes i understand at one point in time the union was needed--not anymore. If you cant secure a consumer u cant secure jobs.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Let's see this posted in some major newspapers.
It might, and probably will.......but it's not exactly front page material. With no disrespect to those who were laid off.....200 people is a long way off of 1,000's that some factories have had to let go. It's sad though really.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow no strike!!! come on gm/ford cant even shut down for a break without the union wantting some sort of compensation. yes i understand at one point in time the union was needed--not anymore. If you cant secure a consumer u cant secure jobs.
Does that crapyota plant even have a union?

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
They were temporary....not that big of a deal. It wouldn't make the news if GM did the same thing.

They are lucky that they live in Texas. I'm not worried about those 200 people not finding jobs...there's plenty around that region. Even during this slowdown, Texas's economy is doing pretty well.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Sorry to hear see that even more Americans are losing jobs because of the economy and oil crisis. Hopefully they'll find something soon.

Toyota really screwed the pooch on the new Tundra. It just goes to show you how quickly times can change with our economy!
What oil crisis? During the 70's we had an oil crisis when gas was rationed, what we have now is just the reality of paying what it's worth.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
It might, and probably will.......but it's not exactly front page material. With no disrespect to those who were laid off.....200 people is a long way off of 1,000's that some factories have had to let go. It's sad though really.
I bet those 200 people vehemently disagree with you. Toyota's raking in billions in profit, yet they're losing their jobs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bet those 200 people vehemently disagree with you. Toyota's raking in billions in profit, yet they're losing their jobs.
Good point, but most Americans are used to living in a real world of downsizing, outsourcing, job eliminations, pay-based-on-performance, and all kinds of rough treatment in the name of efficiency and profit making. The new day in the workforce dawned yesterday. The big three and the UAW seem to be living in the distant past. A company that cannot evolve into a sleek, efficient machine will ultimately find itself extinct. Toyota is just doing what makes business sense. Other companies seem to have their hands tied.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I stand by what I said......"With no disrespect to those who were laid off...". Anyway temp work is just that, "temporary" work. Do I wish those guys could keep their jobs? Of course....don't try to paint me as the devil. Why don't you buy a Tundra and help those guys keep their jobs?

:lmao:lol :fall:

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
What oil crisis? During the 70's we had an oil crisis when gas was rationed, what we have now is just the reality of paying what it's worth.
correction.. what gas is worth to speculators coupled with rampant rumors that help spin the story you are supposed to believe....

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
correction.. what gas is worth to speculators coupled with rampant rumors that help spin the story you are supposed to believe....

Sorry that a HUGE error of misperception. What Saturn69 said was exactly correct because you and I validated the risk that the speculators and others took. When you went to the pump this week and filled up you told the producers and speculators that 'Yep, you were right I will pay the higher price at the pump. It is worth it to me to keep my vehicle filled.'

In fact you did pay what it was worth to you. For others now they are not paying the price. They are doing something different like not buying any fuel at all or walking or taking mass transit or biking or staying at home. For them the price today is not worth it. As long as there are buyers willing to pay whatever the pump price is then by definition that is the correct market price. No one held a gun to your head ( or mine ) and said 'BUY!!'. That was your free choice, because it was worth it to you ( and to me ).

That's basic economics. A product is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Did these workers work directly for Toyota, or for a temp agency? They should be placed at new jobs in no time if it was a temp agency.

·
Registered
250 Posts
They were temporary....not that big of a deal. It wouldn't make the news if GM did the same thing.

They are lucky that they live in Texas. I'm not worried about those 200 people not finding jobs...there's plenty around that region. Even during this slowdown, Texas's economy is doing pretty well.
Yeah there are lots of jobs around here. Call centers ($8/hr) workers at Sea World and Six Flags (similar pay) and employment in all our new retail/restaurant malls.

This was big news on our local NBC affiliate here, they have been pimping the "Toy" folks since the decision was made to build here. According to their report, they are shutting down the line, yet still want the full time workers to report to work for other "unspecified" duties, such as painting and landscaping? Are you kidding me?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Are some of you really trying to compare closing multiple plants to 200 TEMP job losses?

This board hates the UAW because they make GM keep too many employees, yet Toyota is the devil for letting 200 TEMPS go?

Some of you are just so eager to make Toyota the sole evil force in all this, you miss the big picture. Remember those sayings about minding your own business or getting your own house in order first? Some good strides aside, GM's sill got a long, long way to go in fixing its own problems before GM backers can afford to blame or point fingers at other manufacturers.

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
For all the great press Toyota gets about its ability to see the future, make sound strategic product decisions, and invest money wisely - the current Tundra was a huge mistake.

Imagine where they'd be if they continued the 7/8ths tradition, put the extra money into diesels, hybrids, and an interior that doesn't look like it came out of a Fischer Price car.

·
Registered
185 Posts
A) I'm surprised this wasn't on the news... or I missed it.
B) If they were temp workers then wouldn't they have known they wouldn't stay permanently?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts