GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Here it is, folks. After a long and globally successful 14-year run, the LC200-series Toyota Land Cruiser is finally being replaced with an all-new model. The LC300 Land Cruiser may be a clear evolution of past models, with blocky styling and off-road specifications designed to reliably cope with the harshest conditions and climates the world has to offer, but it’s clearly been modernized to meet ever-changing market realities and regulations.

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
I like the look of the model on the far right with Toyota script on the grill

Looks way better than the bulbous look of the others

·
Premium Member
34,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The biggest news is the power bump, V6 and nothing else really, weight loss.. yes, means its quicker.. how much quicker.. don't know..
However, the value of the V8 Landcruiser just went through the roof, for GM, a HUGE opening to get the V8 customer with a more serious offroading option especially in the middle east. Just get that front rocking diff

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Interesting. So what’s happening with the Lexus LX twin for the USA if the Land Cruiser is dropped from here? Also, whatever happens to it, it would be sad to see the V8 leave from their flagship SUV. Then again, it’s gone from the LS flagship sedan so it wouldn’t be surprising. I just looked closer. Why does this new Land Cruiser have three different front ends? Should have spent that extra money on the interior. Doesn’t look bad but doesn’t look of this year either.

·
Registered
482 Posts
unfortunately I see in that front-end resemblance with new Escalade. I am not surprised, their mouths were awful. Especially the 2014 looked like it was designed by a 6-year old. Those LED lights...ugh.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Interesting. So what’s happening with the Lexus LX twin for the USA if the Land Cruiser is dropped from here? Also, whatever happens to it, it would be sad to see the V8 leave from their flagship SUV. Then again, it’s gone from the LS flagship sedan so it wouldn’t be surprising. I just looked closer. Why does this new Land Cruiser have three different front ends? Should have spent that extra money on the interior. Doesn’t look bad but doesn’t look of this year either.
We're (the US) going to get a new LX based off this Land cruiser...it's just that we won't get the Toyota version. In the grand scheme of things it's good that we get a no **** differentiation of the two now with Toyota's top dog the Sequoia and Lexus top with the LC based LX.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,348 Posts
It definitely looks a bit more modern but that front end though, jeez Toyota can't you guys make anything "completely" attractive?

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
We knew the new LC wasn't coming to the US. They wanted to take it back more towards its roots (mainstream offroader not lux/premium), so no way to make tha feasible with the chicken tax. They should have moved production to their Texas factory where they make the Tundra + Seqouia to avoid it, seems like a missed opportunity. Sequoia better up its game.....

Power + weight numbers look good, so it should be quicker and more fuel efficient (it was a gas pig). Looks like they finally fixed the 3rd row "jump seat" issue. I kind of like it. Interested to see what they do with the LX.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
We knew the new LC wasn't coming to the US. They wanted to take it back more towards its roots (mainstream offroader not lux/premium), so no way to make tha feasible with the chicken tax. They should have moved production to their Texas factory where they make the Tundra + Seqouia to avoid it, seems like a missed opportunity. Sequoia better up its game.....

Power + weight numbers look good, so it should be quicker and more fuel efficient (it was a gas pig). Looks like they finally fixed the 3rd row "jump seat" issue. I kind of like it. Interested to see what they do with the LX.
That 3rd row is hugely welcome...the LX will definitely see the benefit from that change. It's probably the main reason why so many people skipped the LX completely.

And before someone says styling, I actually like how the LX looked, this thing is gorgeous IMO:

And I can't wait to see the next Sequoia...it'll be on my list along w/ the Wagoneer for upgrading the Buick.

·
Premium Member
34,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
unfortunately I see in that front-end resemblance with new Escalade. I am not surprised, their mouths were awful. Especially the 2014 looked like it was designed by a 6-year old. Those LED lights...ugh.

This is the Prado which is a smaller version of the 4 Runner based on the Hilux. Its ugly and old tech, but People worship it next to Our Lord and Mohammed in the third world.. it’s the Tahoe.. you are either walking or driving one

·
Premium Member
34,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you told me that was a Toyota interior from a decade ago I would believe you.
It’s a step up from the current interior, and not that far removed from Chevrolet, Ford offerings at this time.. in the segment.
There is an opportunity for GM though in the Middle East with their more capable of road offerings here to get at the heart of the land cruiser buyer.. I however doubt anyone at GM is paying attention. It will be a completely missed opportunity yet it’s a simple beef up of an existing platform to just overtake this Now. Softer icon.

I hope their retailers over there are aggressive enough to ask for a beefier off-roading package

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
That 3rd row is hugely welcome...the LX will definitely see the benefit from that change. It's probably the main reason why so many people skipped the LX completely.

And I can't wait to see the next Sequoia...it'll be on my list along w/ the Wagoneer for upgrading the Buick.
Exactly the same situation. I had a LC as a rental in Florida a few years back and the internal packaging was horrendous for such a large vehicle. Kept the LC + LX off my list. Really looking forward to seeing the new LX, based on this and all of the improvements. Interested to see what they do to Sequoia as well, the current one is pretty homely to my eyes.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Tahoe Premier
1,266 Posts
I don't understand why Toyota can't just build a Sequoia-based LX for NA and ME.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts