GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43,795 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Feb 13 2004, 12:42 PM
It's nice that Toyota's being honest about comparisons...remember the Cadillac vs Lincoln fiasco of 1999?

Toyota will pass Ford in 2004, it's just a matter of time.
<_< Noo... That was the Cadillac GM's own fault. He got fired.
But yea.... Toyota will surpass Ford this year.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by giagastormer@Feb 13 2004, 02:19 PM
I read an article somewhere, that Toyota plans to take over GM by the end of the decade. That would suck if that happened.
If you read THIS article it states toyota's intentions to have 15% market share, which is 1% over GM's current share (world market that is).

And I don't know if Toyota will take over Ford this year... The number still show a fairly large gap. But I'm certainly not an expert and am not very good at guessing what people like to buy to my opinion is pretty much null and void.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Currently Toyota's profits are sky rocketing. I dont think they will ever take over GM. Isn't GM's world market share about 32%?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since nobody reads these articles:

"Toyota, which plans to raise its global market share to 15 percent within a decade from more than 10 percent now, has said it has no specific goal of beating Ford or General Motors Corp., the world’s largest automaker, by sales. Still, 15 percent market share would push the Toyota City, Japan-based company’s sales beyond that of General Motors, which now makes more than 14 percent of vehicles purchased worldwide"

so for everyone that puts GM's world share at... 14.x%

·
Registered
43,795 Posts
Originally posted by giagastormer@Feb 13 2004, 04:30 PM
Currently Toyota's profits are sky rocketing. I dont think they will ever take over GM. Isn't GM's world market share about 32%?
GM's US market share is about 30% or so. Their US goal is to achieve 35%.
GM's global share is about 14.2% or so. I don't know if that value counts all the alliance partners or not. If you add the US brands to the Asia brands (Daewoo, Suzuki, Subaru, Isuzu, Holden) and the Euro brnads (Saab, Opel/Vauxhall, Fiat, Alfa Romeo), you've got quite a product portfolio.

Thing is... if Toyota can make inroads into countries where GM's presences is minimal, they can gain a foothold there and be able to fend of any competition from GM down the road, making it harder for GM to make inroads and gain market share.

Toyota has the money and the patience to overthrow GM on a global scale. It's just a matter of "when this will happen" and "will GM let this happen?"

:(

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
:D Those damn Japanese cant build a car any better than GM. What I personally think is the main problem is that over the years GM has lost so many customers to the Japanese because GM's quality was horrific about a decade or so ago. GM loyasts got fed up with it and left, GM should focus on getting those consumers back to actually take a look at GM and say "hey, they build a pretty nice vehicle." Cadillac is in the process of doing this already, to get Japanese loyalists who are in the market for a Luxury Sedan to take a look at Cadillac, which I am sure is happening. The General is now at work on Chevrolet and Buick, which is nice. :D

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
GM has soo much market share, it would take years for Toyota to be number 1. GM is pumping out 8 million or so vehicles a year isnt it, Toyota is like 6.4 Million.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro@Feb 13 2004, 07:41 PM
GM's US market share is about 30% or so. Their US goal is to achieve 35%.
GM's global share is about 14.2% or so. I don't know if that value counts all the alliance partners or not. If you add the US brands to the Asia brands (Daewoo, Suzuki, Subaru, Isuzu, Holden) and the Euro brnads (Saab, Opel/Vauxhall, Fiat, Alfa Romeo), you've got quite a product portfolio.

Thing is... if Toyota can make inroads into countries where GM's presences is minimal, they can gain a foothold there and be able to fend of any competition from GM down the road, making it harder for GM to make inroads and gain market share.

Toyota has the money and the patience to overthrow GM on a global scale. It's just a matter of "when this will happen" and "will GM let this happen?"

:(
GM's US market share is just under 28% and they're trying to get to 30%, which doesn't look very likely. GM can't count Suzuki or Subaru or Isuzu because they hold relatively little in those brands. Since they have owned Holden for many years, it is counted among their products. Daewoo is a tough one since GM only holds about 42%.

I really don't think GM has much to say about Toyota reaching 15% global market share. Toyota has increased its global market share by leaps and bounds over the past 10-20 years. They have plenty of the world yet to conquer, and WHEN (not if) that happens, they will rival GM in size. North America is underway. Europe is falling. South America and China are coming.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts