GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toyota Motor Corp. engaged in unfair labor practices to sway workers at an Ontario plant where a representation election may be held this week, the Machinists union said in a complaint to the provincial government.
Communications sent to workers at the Cambridge, Ontario, factory "crossed the line set by the law, which prevents employers from intimidating and unduly influencing employees to vote against a union," the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers said in a statement Monday.
The complaint was filed with Ontario's Labour Relations Board, union spokesman Bill Trbovich said. The vote is tentatively set for Thursday, union organizer Ian Morland said in a Friday interview.

---

The Machinists union filed last Thursday for a vote for 3,100 of the plant's workers with Ontario's Labour Ministry. The factory employs 5,059 people, according to the company's Web site.
Machinists organizers began collecting cards from Cambridge workers in November indicating whether they supported union representation. More than 40 percent of cards turned in were in favor, Morland said.
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080318/AUTO01/803180341/1148
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that's overwhelming- 40% in favour. Oh wait, no it's not.

You do realize that is 40% even though some of the employee's are worried that Toyota will find out who they are and eventually be fired because of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
I think workers should be MORE affraid of what the Union will do if they get approved - Only lazy workers will reap the benefits, if there are any benefits.:mad:

But here is to hoping that they are wise in voting, and reject the 'labor movent'.:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
You do realize that is 40% even though some of the employee's are worried that Toyota will find out who they are and eventually be fired because of it.
Yes, the evil corporation will fire them.

You do realize it's 40% of 61% of the workforce at the plant right? Which is actually only 24% of the workforce at the plant turned in cards in favor of a union vote- 1214 yes votes out of 5059 in other words. I'm sure the other 76% of the workforce are thrilled with the fact that the union has decided to muff around in business they're not needed in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,633 Posts
I think workers should be MORE affraid of what the Union will do if they get approved - Only lazy workers will reap the benefits, if there are any benefits.:mad:

But here is to hoping that they are wise in voting, and reject the 'labor movent'.:eek:
Is that right? Wow, I guess that explains Toyotas official 'union' 'position' in Japan - which includes mandatory membership by many full time lower level Management positions as well as the rank and file line worker.

So is a just some sort of physicality or purely a cultural phenomena or perhaps a mercantile colonial export trade system exposed for what it really is that has Toyota requiring union membership in Japan for full - 'lifetime' workers - while fighting the union here and there ????
You say its a matter of what kind of union? - fine, where's Toyotas company union for their North American workers - like many Toyota Chinese workers have in modified form ???

I hope you're not suggesting and supporting that kind of double standard - you know unions are ok for a JAPANESE Company in Japan or THE SAME COMPANY IN CHINA but, oOOh hello noOOO that same company shouldn't have to deal with it here - or in Canada.

BTW, you notice the labor accident rate in their Japanese plants while still high is substantially lower than here ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep they have unions at the home land but don't like them over here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,105 Posts
Yes, the evil corporation will fire them.

You do realize it's 40% of 61% of the workforce at the plant right? Which is actually only 24% of the workforce at the plant turned in cards in favor of a union vote- 1214 yes votes out of 5059 in other words. I'm sure the other 76% of the workforce are thrilled with the fact that the union has decided to muff around in business they're not needed in.
you cant think of it that way, cause thats saying the other 39% will be a guaranteed vote no- which wont be the case.

unions are a double edged sword for sure, but theyre not all bad. i like the union im in in that i have great benefits, but its definitely a PITA when i see my coworker doing nothing and getting the same pay as me whose working his arse off. ive since toned it down because of it (theres no reason to keep it up if i get nothing out of it).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
I believe the plant has 3100 permanent Toyota workers and the rest are temps or contract workers. Toyota is reported to be trying to have the temps allowed to vote. Too bad for Toyota, they don't treat the temps the same as Toyota workers or give them the same benefits or pay. They consider them disposable, until now. Maybe they will hire them all to give them the votes. Good for the temps. (it takes over 30 months to become a full time employee at Toyota, if ever)

Toyota has been watching the CAW so closely, they must have missed this union organizing quietly. Classic head fake by the two unions.

No union would ever have a chance to sign any members, if Toyota fulfilled their "promises" for pay, benefits and working conditions. Their problem is that it is all Toyota rhetoric painting a public picture of bliss and harmony. People want a union there because they must feel they need one, given their treatment in the plant.

The sister Woodstock plant is still under construction (opening delayed until the late fall) and may be part of the organizing drive. The plant has been in hiring mode, but after going through 60,000 applications, they are having a difficult time finding 700 "appropriate" applicants. Everyone I know who has taken time off work and gone through a series of 6 or 7 interviews has received a letter in the mail saying they don't fit the Toyota profile, whatever that is. No one seems to know, and Toyota isn't saying. These people come from all walks of life, all shapes and sizes, and all education backgrounds, and still they get "no thanks" letters in the mail.

Good luck to Toyota as they burn all the residual good feelings they have left in this area. Taxes are going up to support their infrastructure, traffic will increase dramatically, additional freight rail lines will cause more noise, and very few local jobs will materialize. Locals aren't impressed so far. Oh, they also dumped a mansion, which was located on their property to the taxpayers. They "donated" it to a local hospice. Now it needs millions of dollars to renovate it to standards. I wonder if Toyota got a nice tax refund with that deal. Smart people, those Toyota guys.

Most people in this area, think they have been conned by Toyota.

The local mayor, who was pumping the deal, will likely lose his job.

I only know a few people who work in the Cambridge plant and they all hate the place. They say they are saving up their money and getting out as soon as possible. Alas, they will probably fall into the house and kids trap and have to stay there forever.

Toyota talks the talk but they don't walk the walk.

Just the way I, and a lot of fellow citizens, see it.

I worked at GM for a career and despite their faults, GM was a good place to work. We could argue endlessly about the pay and benefits, but it still would have been a good job at half the wages.

I doubt anyone could say the same at Toyota.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top