GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,978 Posts
Toyota seems to have better long term relationships with their suppliers, including chip suppliers, than GM and Ford.
Yeah. I had that figured, just by the local dealers here and the available product to sell vs. what Ford and gm had and how quickly it was depleted vs, Toyota and it wasn't the same vehicles just sitting at Toyota FWIW. Nissan and Honda/Mazda also faired better than Detroit too.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
My local Chevy and Ford dealerships have a handful of new trucks, the Toyota lot is completely empty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Most Toyota models (SUVs and trucks) are sold out. Dealers ask up to $4k markup over MSRP for a 4Runner. If you go and check inventory status on a Toyota dealer web site, most vehicles listed as "in stock" are actually "in transit", and people are willing to wait weeks until they actually arrive.
Credit is cheap, so many people can finally afford "the car of their dreams", even if it implies 84 months term. It will be interesting to see July numbers tomorrow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Toyota seems to have better long term relationships with their suppliers, including chip suppliers, than GM and Ford.
Toyota invests a lot of time and effort into building relationship with suppliers. One day I visited a stamping company in Turkey who makes door and hood stampings for most of car manufacturers in Europe. We talked who has the stringiest quality requirements. They thought that after meeting quality requirements and gaining a contract from BMW, everybody else would be easy. It turned out that BMW-level quality wasn't enough for Toyota - they wanted better dimensional tolerances and surface finish. But instead of going somewhere else, Toyota made them an offer. Toyota will bring two engineers from Japan, fully paid by Toyota, to work for one year at the supplier's factory to help them develop the right quality. If the "experiment" was successful, the supplier had to respect the original price. If the Toyota engineers didn't succeed in helping the supplier to reach quality in one year, Toyota will look for another supplier. It was a win-win for both sides. Toyota also frequently helps suppliers that struggle economically to get through hardship and survive during economic downturns. They believe that it's much better to prop-up a supplier with money during crisis, rather than let it fail and try to develop a new supplier.

Toyota always approaches suppliers with the intent of building a partnership, rather than an antagonistic approach of "give me the lowest price or I will go elsewhere". It builds a lot of loyalty among suppliers, who in turn are willing to "go the extra mile" for Toyota, at the expense of other automotive customers.

·
Premium Member
34,626 Posts
The answer is simple, Toyota is selling low tech cars on old platforms with, ‘insert radio here’ technology from the 1980’s.

Does Toyota offer a single direct injection motor? Still pushing 6 speeds and CVT’s.. etc…

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
3,865 Posts
Does Toyota offer a single direct injection motor?
Several Toyota gasoline engines for U.S. market cars use the D-4S setup which combines port and direct injection:
  • All Dynamic Force engines (2.0L M20A, 2.4L T24A, 2.5L A25A, 3.5L V35A)
  • Latest versions of the 2GR 3.5L engine (2GR-FKS and 2GR-FXS)
Also, the Subaru designed FA20D and FA24D in the Toyota 86 use D-4S port + direct injection as well.

The 2GR-FSE, predecessor to 2GR-FKS, was the first production car engine in the world to combine port and direct injection when it was introduced in 2005.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Several Toyota gasoline engines for U.S. market cars use the D-4S setup which combines port and direct injection:
  • All Dynamic Force engines (2.0L M20A, 2.4L T24A, 2.5L A25A, 3.5L V35A)
  • Latest versions of the 2GR 3.5L engine (2GR-FKS and 2GR-FXS)
Also, the Subaru designed FA20D and FA24D in the Toyota 86 use D-4S port + direct injection as well.

The 2GR-FSE, predecessor to 2GR-FKS, was the first production car engine in the world to combine port and direct injection when it was introduced in 2005.
It was a troll post, I wasn't going to pay it any attention...Toyota had DI back in 2005, he just says **** to say it, regardless of its basis in reality

1 - 11 of 11 Posts