GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TOKYO -- Toyota Motor Co.p.’s fourth-quarter net income more than doubled, propelling annual profit to a record 1.16 trillion yen ($10.2 billion), twice the combined earnings of General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. The company targets similar results this year.

The world’s biggest automaker by market value said profit for the three months ended March 31 rose to 351.2 billion yen, from 145.8 billion yen in the year-earlier quarter, on rising demand for its most profitable models including the Lexus luxury car. Fourth-quarter sales rose 22 percent to 4.68 trillion yen.

Executive Vice President Ryuji Araki said profit this year will be driven by cost cuts and further gains in its U.S. market share, which was 11.7 percent in April. The Toyota City, Japan- based company was rated as the maker of the most reliable cars by J.D. Power & Associates for a seventh year and started selling a full-sized version of its Tundra pickup truck in the U.S.

“Everyone expects Toyota to raise profit by more than 10 percent this year,” said Ichiro Takamatsu, who helps manage the equivalent of $564 million in Japanese equities at Cigna International Investment Advisors K.K. in Tokyo. “There’s not a single black spot at Toyota.”

Full Story HERE

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
From the viewpoint of an accountant, there are no black spots. From the viewpoint of the average consumer, the styling still isn't very impressive, but "Toyota reliability" is a phrase that still means something to a lot of people. And let's face it - Toyota's are pretty reliable, although they're not the only ones who make reliable cars.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
toyota's got a formula, and it works. they've never been very stylish, but they also see steady, long-term growth. perhaps if GM, ford and chrysler had focused on quality 2 decades ago, they might be where toyota is now. which is earning record profits.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@May 12 2004, 10:06 AM
toyota's got a formula, and it works. they've never been very stylish, but they also see steady, long-term growth. perhaps if GM, ford and chrysler had focused on quality 2 decades ago, they might be where toyota is now. which is earning record profits.
I agree.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by ilaoc77+May 12 2004, 11:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ilaoc77 @ May 12 2004, 11:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 12 2004, 04:07 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-paul8488
@May 12 2004, 10:06 AM

I agree.
Agree...

I also agree that toyotas have never been all that stylish.. maybe the MR2 Spyder, and possibly a few models here and there.. but Toyos are more bland than stylish.

More than twice the COMBINED earnings at GM and Ford! *DROPS JAW*

Holy Cream-filled Crap!

I always remember the Twinkies and Ho-Ho's to be sweet.. not bittersweet...

HUGE progress at GM, and Ford, and still... THIS!!... with that $100,000 Lexus commin' along.. HOLY CRAP~! [/b][/quote]
Yea, Toyotas are not stylish but they're just great cars for most families. I think that in most ways, that works out the best. Better be safe than sorry!

·
Registered
633 Posts
"twice the combined earnings of General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. The company targets similar results this year." <---- That is just crazy... toyota style is very simple. Though they can make some of the most timeless designs when they want to. Supra... still fresh today, oh please bring us another Supra....

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by geronimo66@May 13 2004, 03:10 PM
"twice the combined earnings of General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. The company targets similar results this year." <---- That is just crazy... toyota style is very simple. Though they can make some of the most timeless designs when they want to. Supra... still fresh today, oh please bring us another Supra....
Man, I hope you aren't talking about the last generation Supra - that thing was an overwrought toad.

The Supra's introduced in '82 and '86 were very nice looking cars, but then they unfortunately reverted back to Toyota styling with the last one.

·
Registered
633 Posts
You surely are stoned The last gen Supra is one of the most sought after cars. Classic styling, insane power potentional, builit proof drivetrain. Look at what they are still selling for. Whats the price of a 94 Vette... :rolleyes:

It was as fast as if not fastear than Vette in its day... so go figure. The styling of the MKIV Supra is as better than the C6.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by geronimo66@May 13 2004, 04:40 PM
You surely are stoned  The last gen Supra is one of the most sought after cars.  Classic styling, insane power potentional, builit proof drivetrain.  Look at what they are still selling for.  Whats the price of a 94 Vette...  :rolleyes: 

It was as fast as if not fastear than Vette in its day... so go figure.  The styling of the MKIV Supra is as better than the C6.
I think the resale prices have a lot to do with production. Chevy sold almost twice as many Corvettes in 1994 alone than Toyota sold Supras for all of the years of the last generation, 1993-1998, combined (which is why the Supra is long dead and the Corvette lives on). The fast and furious crowd seems to have taken a liking to them (probably because that huge factory ricer wing saves them a trip to Pep Boys :D ), and with so few out there, demand outstrips supply.

And no, I'm never stoned.

·
Registered
785 Posts
The Toyota Camry killed the competition in refinement back in the early 90s. When I bought a used 91 LE back in 96, it changed my entire outlook on what a car was supposed to be in the realm of refinement and reliability. After that experience, any car with a 4 speed without overdrive, without an RPM gauge, locking fuel tank and a speedometer that didn’t go over a hundred was just substandard. Remember this is an LE I am talking about not the abused base models you see around. Sure, those are arbitrary in many ways but for someone who experienced the execution of those features together in such a refined interior, it was eye opening. I’ve witnessed interiors and mechanicals on an 89 Pontiac Sunbird (called “The Tank” because of engine noise), 93 Buick LeSabre (Great Car but it didn’t make it), 93 Chevy Lumina (F- interior) and an Oldsmobile Achieva (self destructed and couldnt even be resold- bad car period) go to crap that you can’t blame me for being so impressed. Of all these, only the Buick was what I would deem a great car. The Toyota Camry LE was not the fastest car around, it was not the most luxurious and it wasn’t the coolest but I got such a great used car value that Toyota was able to gain the respect of not only the original owner but the second and third owners. Now that is spreading the word around! I can't speak for the 92 and later models but I know the 91 extensively. Will I ever buy another Toyota? Probably not, Americans are making the cars that I want (V8 RWD) and I should add with acceptable quality but I would never stop someone who thinks a Toyota is what they want. I could offer alternatives with more power and say it’s not the best styling around but I can’t tell them they are making a mistake. I can tell them to buy a used Toyota and save some money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts