GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
45,355 Posts
Somebody wrote that this may be a better way to go environmentally/logistically because not as many rare earth minerals are required
Plug-In Hybrids were always the best option as a bridge between ICE and BEV.
The California mandate takes PHEV into account. They can still be sold, so long as it has a 50 mile EV-only range. Most PHEVs already have that today, though some are 30-40 miles. An extra 10 mile range shouldn't be too much of a problem to overcome.
Heck... Range Rover PHEV goes 51 miles EV.

The question really is a business decision.
Does it make business sense to build PHEVs, if the customer base is clamoring for BEVs? And if it does, which models would most appeal to the customer base? And can the company get an adequate ROI?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
It looks better than the current incredibly hideous Prius, but a couple of changes could have made it look so much better. The A and C pillars are just so damn lazy and messy. The front door should have been designed to eliminate the black plastic window fake-out ahead of the front door. If they did it right, they could have also eliminated the quarter window. They should have eliminated the C-pillar black plastic window fake-out as well. Just leaving it sheetmetal would have been an improvement. Of course, the front overhang is terrible, but that's pretty much the case in any FWD car. From what I've see of the interior, however, it appears well done.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wow, as much as it pains me to say this, I like it.

Interesting that they are repositioning the Prius. I'll be following to see if the repositioning from the "I'm green" image to a youthful sporty vehicle works. I'm taking this as Toyota signaling that hybrids are yesterday's news and no longer the "I'm green" vehicle of choice.
It's odd the plug-in isn't with the low hp engine, with the highest hp in a lighter, quicker, not-plug-in. It's potentially a nicer choice than the Civic Si.

It could keep the green image, if-when massive EV mining projects get railroaded through.
Plug-In Hybrids were always the best option as a bridge between ICE and BEV.
The California mandate takes PHEV into account. They can still be sold, so long as it has a 50 mile EV-only range. Most PHEVs already have that today, though some are 30-40 miles. An extra 10 mile range shouldn't be too much of a problem to overcome.
Heck... Range Rover PHEV goes 51 miles EV.

Does it make business sense to build PHEVs, if the customer base is clamoring for BEVs? And if it does, which models would most appeal to the customer base? And can the company get an adequate ROI?
Crossovers. But their aero hurts range. What if a business model that works is (some existing) CUV's, with 25-49 mile EV range, that charge with a plain extension cord - and they're regulated out?

·
Registered
45,355 Posts
Crossovers. But their aero hurts range. What if a business model that works is (some existing) CUV's, with 25-49 mile EV range, that charge with a plain extension cord - and they're regulated out?
Then sell those PHEVs in regions where they’re capable of being sold.
OR…. Make PHEVs that go 50+ mile pure EV and sell them everywhere.

Range Rover PHEV is a big hulking SUV that manages to go 51 miles pure EV today, a big improvement over the original 19 mile range it used to have. So, there’s no reason why sleeker PHEVs like Prius couldn’t do 50+ miles. Then Toyota could continue to sell Prius beyond 2035.
But Toyota needs to evaluate whether it makes sense to continue with their PHEVs, if their BEVs gain treaction.

·
Registered
551 Posts
It looks better than the current incredibly hideous Prius, but a couple of changes could have made it look so much better. The A and C pillars are just so damn lazy and messy. The front door should have been designed to eliminate the black plastic window fake-out ahead of the front door. If they did it right, they could have also eliminated the quarter window. They should have eliminated the C-pillar black plastic window fake-out as well. Just leaving it sheetmetal would have been an improvement. Of course, the front overhang is terrible, but that's pretty much the case in any FWD car. From what I've see of the interior, however, it appears well done.
Same descriptor - different perceptions.
For try as I might, I can’t hate their previous (indeed hideous!) absurdity - such a purely Japanese celebration of outre.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
I am curious as to whether they really are or if it is incentive driven on multiple levels. I have no idea, the market has been so skewed over the last few years, I am not sure anybody has a clean read on it.

I do think a 50 mile PHEV is kind of a no brainer and probably is the perfect bridge product moving forward.

BTW, this is the first Prius I don't hate. :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Over the next few years we will go from two cars to one. Our needs have changed.

A Prius Prime would allow us to drive close to home for the rare times we drive to work and do our shopping.

To go see the distant family the thermal engine would be useful. Especially in winter when the heat from the petrol engine limits the consumption of electrical energy needed to heat the passenger compartment.

I would have liked the AWD version to be available with the plug-in engine.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 2014 Cadillac Saks 5th Ave ELR, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
12,149 Posts
A Prius that looks good. The world is officially spinning backwards.

The current one is the ugliest thing there is for sale.
It would've continued to hold that crown until Cybertruck arrives.
If Cybertruck ever gets here, that is...

·
Registered
45,355 Posts
I am curious as to whether they really are or if it is incentive driven on multiple levels. I have no idea, the market has been so skewed over the last few years, I am not sure anybody has a clean read on it.

I do think a 50 mile PHEV is kind of a no brainer and probably is the perfect bridge product moving forward.

BTW, this is the first Prius I don't hate. :)
I think the time and investment into a PHEV, assuming it hasn't already been done at a company, is a significant expense. And as we're seeing, it's taking 10s and billions to ramp up on EV, so companies need to pick and choose their strategic battles. And pretty much all of them have now chosen BEVs.
A few have chosen PHEV only, but they're boutique/exotic manufacturers.

I do think 50 mile PHEV is a no brainer, especially for work trucks or vans, where a 300-400 mile range may not be sufficient for a day's travel.
But I think the market's decision is to focus on getting EV's to the 400-500 mile level by 2035, instead of creating that bridge product. And that has high risks.... and high rewards.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the time and investment into a PHEV, assuming it hasn't already been done at a company, is a significant expense. And as we're seeing, it's taking 10s and billions to ramp up on EV, so companies need to pick and choose their strategic battles. And pretty much all of them have now chosen BEVs.
A few have chosen PHEV only, but they're boutique/exotic manufacturers.

I do think 50 mile PHEV is a no brainer, especially for work trucks or vans, where a 300-400 mile range may not be sufficient for a day's travel.
But I think the market's decision is to focus on getting EV's to the 400-500 mile level by 2035, instead of creating that bridge product. And that has high risks.... and high rewards.
Toyota is the typical Japanese company. It is run by old men who are too conservative to see what is happening in the market. It reminds me of another Japanese company, Sony. Sony who invented the walkman should have been the company to invent the IPod. It didn’t and the rest is history. Sony made the best televisions. Now they buy their Oled displays from LG.

Toyota builds the best hybrid cars. Certainly not everyone will buy a BEV car, range issues being the primary reason. Ford has already said it will require only 40% of its current workforce to build all electric cars. Yes right now batteries are expensive, but the price is rapidly declining just as technology always does. Building hybrids means Toyota will be stuck with too many workers and installing two engines in each car. That does not sound like a very good plan long term. Plus hybrids still emit greenhouse gases. Yes EVs will require significantly more electricity generation, but over time mankind will produce the electricity needed in a more carbon neutral way.

Love him or hate him but Tesla showed the way to the future.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
^ I consulted at Sony Pictures. I associate them with show biz now. Maybe they saw the writing on the wall and thought they would not be able to compete, and so they went into content instead of hardware. They seem to have succeeded

21 - 40 of 50 Posts