GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
A Toyota with a Boxer engine will be weirder than a Subaro 9-2, or Saab Imprezza, or whatever you wanted to call it! I think its cool that Toyota is going to make a affordable sporty car, but why wouldnt they use their corporate V6? Their V6 is good for close to 300hp, seems like the perfect engine. And although I like Subaru (and dont mind Toyota), they seems like a miss matched couple. I always wished GM did something with their Subaru relationship. I would have loved to see GM with a brand line similar to Subarus, but alas, Subaru just wasnt boring enuf for GM:D!
well a 6 is gonna be heavier than a 4 (im assuming its heavier than the boxer flat4) and if they wanted a mall cheap affordable car they'd also want to keep it relatively light.
Another thing i can think of is that Toyota just doesnt have a very powerful 4 cylinder available. The best thing they got either goes into the Tacomas or the 2.4 2AZ-FE 160ish hp engine. Its likely they dont want to screw up the new RWD performance car and castrate it with a weak 4 banger like they did with the MR2 spyder. But then again with that Venza crossover Camry wagon thing they have coming, theres gonna be a rumor 180ish hp 2.7L 4 banger coming out...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Guys, I hate to tell ya but GM did get a lot out of its partnership with subaru. The whole reason GM bought into the company was to learn more about subaru AWD system, which back then was the best in the business. Why would GM want to throw a 2.5 flat 4 engine in a car? GM has better motors than that unholy, unworkable piece of crap. Don't get me wrong, that motor is fast as hell and puts down some serious hp, but my roommate drives one and it is impossible to work on it without running into problems. GM got what it needed from subaru and it sure as hell didnt need a car from them.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I think the Pontiac Vibe should have an AWD model that would compete head to head w/the Subaru WRX/STi model as well as the Mitsubishi Evo! This model would be a notch higher than a "GXP" model.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
well a 6 is gonna be heavier than a 4 (im assuming its heavier than the boxer flat4) and if they wanted a mall cheap affordable car they'd also want to keep it relatively light.
Another thing i can think of is that Toyota just doesnt have a very powerful 4 cylinder available. The best thing they got either goes into the Tacomas or the 2.4 2AZ-FE 160ish hp engine. Its likely they dont want to screw up the new RWD performance car and castrate it with a weak 4 banger like they did with the MR2 spyder. But then again with that Venza crossover Camry wagon thing they have coming, theres gonna be a rumor 180ish hp 2.7L 4 banger coming out...
Thats true, Toyota dosent really have a high-output 4 anymore. They need to take a page out of their own book and redo the turbo AWD Celica GT-Four engine. The 3S-GTE engine was sweet, and produced anywhere from 220hp to 250hp if I remember rite! A girl I knew in high school had one, sweet car and fast as hell(especially for early 90's)!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Guys, I hate to tell ya but GM did get a lot out of its partnership with subaru. The whole reason GM bought into the company was to learn more about subaru AWD system, which back then was the best in the business. Why would GM want to throw a 2.5 flat 4 engine in a car? GM has better motors than that unholy, unworkable piece of crap. Don't get me wrong, that motor is fast as hell and puts down some serious hp, but my roommate drives one and it is impossible to work on it without running into problems. GM got what it needed from subaru and it sure as hell didnt need a car from them.
I've never heard anything quite like that about GM & Subaru...

But think of it this way, GM needed low cost engineering and manufacturing capabilities in Asia that it wasn't getting from Isuzu or Subaru (or Toyota).

So they end up purchasing Daewoo. (Which is now GMDAT) Engineering and manufacturing in Asia without having to develop your own facilities?

Priceless.

Hey what do we do with Isuzu and Subaru?

See ya!

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the Subaru flat-four, but GM would have to redesign vehicles completely to use it. The boxer engine doesn't work so well in transverse layouts. GM's FWD four-cylinder cars are set up for inline-fours while all of Subaru's four-cylinder vehicles have longitudinally-mounted engines.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts