GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DARLINGTON, S.C. -- Toyota officials weren't pleased to be the only manufacturer not invited to the Goodyear tire test on Monday at Darlington Speedway.

Goodyear officials said only two to three manufacturers typically are invited to test on a rotating basis, and that for this test the rotation was Chevrolet [Jeff Gordon] and Ford [Greg Biffle] for the tires and Dodge [Ryan Newman] for data acquisition.

They stood by this plan even though four teams have attended several previous tests and despite a request by Toyota to attend.

"It's not going to put us at an advantage by any means," said Andy Graves, an official for Toyota Racing Development.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=3286676

·
Registered
773 Posts
Looks like Jack Roush is even more "immature":

After what Biffle called "kicking and screaming" by Roush Fenway Racing owner Jack Roush, Roush was allowed to test a Ford on the second day.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Well if you pay attention to who is getting tests....

But personally I hate the fact that Toyota can buy their way to winning. And with NASCAR the way it...is...I suspect Mr. France might be inclined to keep a few rules in their favor. But of course, that's just my opinion. And we all know having an opinion that differs from NA$CAR$ results in a fine and 25 points....

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I thought only wrestling had this much drama in it?? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Tires were crap and couldnt believe how stupid Goodyear was to bring tires that bad to the track. He was right though. He's the only one left not afraid to call em how he sees em.
Tires were mandated by NASCAR themselves. Teams were setting up the cars where a lot of stress was being placed on the outside rear tire. NASCAR didn't want the tire being the cause of a lot of wrecks and mandated a harder compound.

Tony was just pissed that he wasn't the first to bring a win to Toyota.

Plus, Toyota is probably trying to get a Japanese Tire into the series.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Tires were mandated by NASCAR themselves. Teams were setting up the cars where a lot of stress was being placed on the outside rear tire. NASCAR didn't want the tire being the cause of a lot of wrecks and mandated a harder compound.

Tony was just pissed that he wasn't the first to bring a win to Toyota.

Plus, Toyota is probably trying to get a Japanese Tire into the series.
How about a thicker, stiffer sidewall and a thicker, soft tread. Therefore, you would have the softer compound meeting the track, and a thicker sidewall to hold up the high pressures that the car puts on it in the turns. I think I heard that the thickness of the sidewall is only 3/16th of an inch. I just think that it should be a little thicker then that. With the downforce the front of the car produces, there is an unbelievable amount of wieght put on the front tires.

And I think a Firestone or Hoosier would come in before a Japanese tire company. I'm not sure even Toyota, as much as people would love to believe, has that much power. All I have to say about Toyota throwing money around to "buy" a win or championship, is look at F1. What is $30-$40 million a year doing for them.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
Come on! Every track has a test rotation! This is some bull. I hope all the other teams cry whenever there is a test. We could have a pre-race "practice" for everyone so they all can give their imput on the tires on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
How about a thicker, stiffer sidewall and a thicker, soft tread. Therefore, you would have the softer compound meeting the track, and a thicker sidewall to hold up the high pressures that the car puts on it in the turns. I think I heard that the thickness of the sidewall is only 3/16th of an inch. I just think that it should be a little thicker then that. With the downforce the front of the car produces, there is an unbelievable amount of wieght put on the front tires.

And I think a Firestone or Hoosier would come in before a Japanese tire company. I'm not sure even Toyota, as much as people would love to believe, has that much power. All I have to say about Toyota throwing money around to "buy" a win or championship, is look at F1. What is $30-$40 million a year doing for them.
Last Paragraph first. Firestone is owned by Bridgestone, a Japanese company. Hoosier is privately owned and is a true American Company. All Japanese companies operate in very close relationships suppliers. It is looked upon as a win for everyone if a supplier gets a contract because of maneuvering of the group. So Toyota trying to get a Japanese Tire into NASCAR is not far fetched. It is how Japanese companies do business.

As far as making the sidewall thicker, that brings its own issues in handling and heating. There is no easy fix and we will all have to bear the brunt of hearing Tony cry.

Toyota has the money to spend so I am fine with that. It is less money they can spend on R&D or purchasing of new Technology to drive our manufacturing into the ground....

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is after Stewart ran a continuous line of **** all over Goodyear yesterday after the race. I don't know when the 'invitations' were sent out but Stewart's quotes all over ESPN for hour upon hour couldn't have made GY very happy.

That's all I heard. :D

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well I wonder what Goodyear will to with the tire for Darlington after having all three drivers hit 200 mph on the new surface. Thats 18 mph faster then last year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts