GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well no, not really... it's just an aux-in jack... but don't tell me the installation isn't slick! I always hate all those dummy / blank covers in a dash... they just remind me of all the options I DON'T have. I used one to allow me to connect my iPod... the other end is a little less slick, but it's still better than having a cord dangling down the dash.

Sorry for the pics... too much flash, but I didn't feel like waiting until morning!

On a semi-related note, I love my car!

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
lol, you're crazy! ;)

I see with the money you saved on the DIY, you splurged on the quartz clock! :D

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm... upon looking at the pictures, what I might do next is find a way to use that green rectangular plug under the right side of the radio to install the radio-in end of the cord. If there's some way I can make that cover swing to let the plug out when I use it and hide it when I don't... I smell a project!

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha thanks guys! I think the clock was a euro fifty. I was going to get the temperature / date / clock combo, but it was around 11 euros, which is a bit excessive. Plus, it would have been hard to integrate properly. The radio itself was only 39 euros... but it wasn't until I got it home that I realised that it has a digital display but analog tuner!!! I didn't even know that such a thing existed! Ah well, it's nice and plain, and suits the dash well.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Hope there wasn't too much swearing involved in getting everything hooked up...... ;)

I know when I had my Mark VII, getting that A/V Cable plugged in right and strung behind the dash/glovebox was a pain.....(now all I gotta do is plunk down $20 or so for one I can hook up to the Malibu's stereo)

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Looks nice and good idea on the clock, looks like it belongs there. Here's my "integration"

You can see where it leads into the console here:

Purely just an aux input for any MP3 player with provisions in the centre console for the input jack and a phone charger. Pretty nifty, haha. And the cord is just long enough to reach any seat in the car so if a passenger who doesn't have horrible taste in music wants to take over radio duty, they're more than welcome to.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OProps for your installation... it's basically a non-remote remote control! That's slick! I'm a big fan of hiding cords when I can, but you have a good set-up there.

However, why on earth are we talking about your radio input cord when you have what is apparently a finished rebuild of a Monte on your hands?!? Did I miss the pictures somewhere?!?

Oh, and next time you take a pic of your mp3 player, make sure it doesn't show "Hillary Duff" on the playlist! :p

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
However, why on earth are we talking about your radio input cord when you have what is apparently a finished rebuild of a Monte on your hands?!? Did I miss the pictures somewhere?!?

Oh, and next time you take a pic of your mp3 player, make sure it doesn't show "Hillary Duff" on the playlist! :p
LOL the 17 page thread about the car is here:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...grade-9-1-08-a-51458/index17.html#post1506904

and it's The Hand That Held Me Down by Two Gallants :p

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Nice intergration! Two things - 1) Interiors have come a long way. 2) Is that a choke lever above the temperature control dial or is it to control the vents???

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, good eye Bravada... it's the 'rally' steering wheel from the 104 ZS, which is a sweet little sport model. I have some info at home on it... I'll add it tonight.

I was bidding on eBay for an almost identical car a while back... one that had the ZS alloy wheels. I found another set of rims but didn't get them... I will at some point get the ZS rims, since it's getting very hard to find a ZS.

·
Super Moderator
18,180 Posts
You could actually mount that on your sport wheel Paul and run a pair of slip rings behind the horn and off your boss (one of the benfits of no airbag :D). For a neater finish on your aux cable, get a right angle plug and then run it through the plastic directly below it. Next, whittle a block of wood in the appropriate shape you want the cover over the plug to look. Cover the piece of wood (dusted in talc) in a putty and let it harden. Pull the piece of wood out of the hard putty and you have a mold. Fill the mold with resin and allow to set. Remove the set resin cover and hollow out the necessary amount to accomodate your right angle aux plug. Spray your cover in the appropriate matching grey of your dash (either of the three)Ensure you use a matt finish and do a few coats. Next, apply some greasy finger prints (not too much) and rub with a cloth. This will give a weathered look to blend in with the environment. Then try to get a similar amount of sheen to the other plastic, by adding small amounts of baby oil. Once you have a good match, stick it on and you're good to go.
Now run the Aux behind the day and up the steering column. Mounting the slip rings though, I will leave up to you.

Now that's a project to keep you busy in the those cold French nights. :D

P.S. I love your car too;)

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Theres something thats just cool about seeing a manual choke and and Ipod in the same car, it's like finding an IBM Selectric on the Space Station.

Ohhh, and on what to do with other blank switch, 2 words.....ejector seat.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Takes up half of the first photo you posted... Anyway, congratulations and good luck ZSing your vehicle!
No, I mean the fact that you noticed that it wasn't stock!

I did a little more work on the radio integration... have to go out and get some picstures later... even more slick than before!

As for the house, still waiting for the paperwork from the bank. I have the approval, just need to egt the documents and then meet with the real estate agent and lawyer. It should be mine byu Hallowe'en!

Hmmm... wonder if it's too late to go to Fannie Ray or Maggie Fae or Betty Crocker or whatever that banking place is called and lie about my income and only pay interest!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts