GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pontiac has chosen the name Torrent for a new sport wagon coming next year, industry sources say.

The 2006 model-year vehicle will be based on General Motors' Theta platform, which is shared by the Chevrolet Equinox and Saturn Vue. Front- and all-wheel-drive models are expected.

GM North America President Gary Cowger said the Pontiac vehicle will not be a rebadged Vue or Equinox.

CLick Here

**How many tiems have we said that!**

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's a better name than aztec!

I'm thinking this new SUV will be what the aztec was supposed to be...an attractive, youthful, multi-capable and inexpensive SUV for a performance brand that is in dire need for a good SUV.

oh yeah...I'm back bitches! :zippy:

·
Super Moderator
10,872 Posts
Sounds like a decent name and it's much better than Aztek -- now I only hope it looks and drives uniquely enough that it stands out as a Pontiac and not another GM clone!

Though I kind of question what direction Pontiac is going with their naming scheme here? Before Pontiac-GMC ManagerLynn Meyers decided to step down recently, I would have thought that Pontiac was going to go with AlphaNumeric names -- at least for their cars. G4, G6, G8 topped off by the GTO --- not a bad sounding car range, right? Then the Montana SV6 would eventually become just the SV6 (remember how the Transport became the Transport Montana, which became just the Montana, etc?...made sense). Of course there would be abnormalities in this scheme like the Solstice and, if they ever decided to resurrect the Firebird nameplate sometime later. But now I'm not sure what they're trying to do with these names. Has the new brand manager changed the gameplan? Will the SUVs/Crossovers/CSV/niche products (Solstice) all have normal names, while the car range goes AlphaNumeric? Or will they abandon the AlphaNumeric idea before it even really gets started and this will be the one and only generation of the "G6"?

Just looking to see if there will be some consistency to the lineup to promote an image for the brand -- which can be just as important in the end for marketing reasons as the good products are to attract customers.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
3900+3rd row seat+AWD+no friggin 4-speed tranny or console shifter = I might be interested.

I think the grille of the SV6 is somewhat tasteful - that kind of look could work for me.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
As far as weather patterns on cars is concerned, Pontiac's use of names like "Tempest" and "Torrent" sound alot more aggressive & assertive than "Stratus", "Cirrus", or "Breeze". ("Breeze"? Who the hell thought that was a good name for a car? I can just hear the dealer now, "Don't drive this car over 20, it'll blow off the road. And be sure to use the factory installed tie-downs when you park, the car might not be there when you get back.")

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a question about this. GM keeps describing this car as a "Sport Wagon" and yet it seems that many of us keep talking like it's going to be an SUV. Perhaps I missed something, but aren't those two different animals? I'm not at all worried about getting a rebadged VUE or Equinox, because those are SUVs and the Torrent will be a Sport Wagon. Am I right?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
"It has good differentiation in styling, ride, handling and interior." Gary Cowger on how the Pontiac Torrent will not be a rebadged Vue or Equinox.

All I know is that if they put a Honda engine or a hoary, old-generation 3.4L V6 in that engine bay, and don't use the 3.5L and/or 3.9L , I'm boycotting Pontiac...!)

My dream setup, that shouldn't be that hard:

Optional 3900 VVT V6 - with a base 3500.

5-speed auto transmission

Interior similar to the Equinox, but with less gray, more black and dark brown.

Versatrak AWD

-----------

Nightmare setup:

Just an Equinox with Pontiac lipstick, and a different suspension setup.

http://www.autosite.com/Previews/2005-chev...let-equinox.asp

Making 185 horsepower at 5,200 rpm and 210 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,800 rpm, the Equinox's V6 is the venerable overhead-cam Vortec 3400 engine that has been deployed in everything from the Chevrolet Venture to the Pontiac Grand Am. We haven't driven the Equinox; in other GM products this motor offers decent power off the line but becomes winded at mid- to high-rpm driving. Power delivery is somewhat unrefined, with plenty of engine racket accompanying forward velocity. Why GM didn't design the Chevy Equinox to use the Malibu sedan's more powerful 3500 V6 is anyone's guess.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by CaveTroll15@Apr 26 2004, 07:25 PM
I have a question about this. GM keeps describing this car as a "Sport Wagon" and yet it seems that many of us keep talking like it's going to be an SUV. Perhaps I missed something, but aren't those two different animals? I'm not at all worried about getting a rebadged VUE or Equinox, because those are SUVs and the Torrent will be a Sport Wagon. Am I right?
I guess we are assuming that because it's based on the same platform as two other SUVs. Maybe they will make it more car-like, but "sport wagon" can cover a lot of ground these days.

·
Registered
790 Posts
it will be cool to see it. a performance equinox? sure why not?

anyway i thought the azteck was a cool name, i just didnt like what they gave it to. and no never again will a car/truck be able to use that name for it is ruined...

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Originally posted by thatoneguy@Apr 26 2004, 03:22 PM
Torrent= Equinox with re-done front

When this baby comes out.. i ll be sayin i told you sooo
If that is all it ends up being, I'd much rather have a "sport wagon" G6 with the Malibu MAXX hatch - similar to the MAX SS concept.

That would kick the tippy 3.4L powered Equinox clone's butt in the "sport wagon" department.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I really hope this thing isn't an SUV at all. IMO, Pontiac doesn't need trucks. That's what Chevy and GMC are for. Sport Wagon (Audi/Mercedes style) GREAT, another rebadged SUV, BAD. Hopefully, when they say "sport wagon" they mean five-door sedan with car-like ride-height and a good dose of Pontiac "excitement."

Of course, since it shares a platform with a couple of SUVs, we're all a littled frightened of getting a good dose of GM rebadging. . . :zap:

I'm gonna remain hopeful, no matter how retarded that may be.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
well, just because it is based on something doesnt mean its going to be a rebadged version of it. I dont think the Vue and the Equinox look anything alike other than both being SUV's. It will be interesting to see how versitile theta is.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts