GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm new to this site so I hope I'm posting on the right board.
I want to see what the opinion is about a UK company called Torotrak, who are developing an infinitely variable transmission.
Although they seem well known in the UK, I get the impression that they have not made an impact in the US. GM were involved with Torotrak directly, but bailed out just as Aisin replaced them. I'm told that Aisin are a big transmission supplier to GM, and the question is will Aisin/GM use Torotak's product.
The Torotak transmission offers something like a 20% improvement in fuel economy.
Does anybody know anything about it?

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Let's ask the question of continously variable transmissions in general. Are they reliable? arethey reliable for a period longer than the mfr's warranty?
Isn't Saturn recalling/ stopping production of their units?

For me-If you want mpg's, buy a stick. It'll last a lifetime.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
If they do offer 20% improvement and are reliable, you'd think GM would be all over them.

Of course, the price has to be right to justify the 20% improvement.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The Saturn Vue's presently offer CVT's. Could very well be from Torotrak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Torotrak have not yet secured any OEM deals - although they now work hard to persuade the Tier 1s to adopt their technology.
They badge it as IVT (Inifinitely Variable Transmission), not CVT - take a look at their site (www.torotrak.com) - to see how it works.
They use toroidal discs & rollers and a special "traction fluid" to transmit the drive, the ratio goes right down to zero - so no need for a clutch or torque converter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts