GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel kind of bad making a thread like this......given how CobaltSS has polluted this section with all of his rants (j/k man...:D)......but DuSpinnst got me thinking (and excited..haha)......

Anyways though.....after looking and looking throughout the local scene here, I don't think the Eldorado is going to happen for me.....mainly because the prices of the ones that are for sale are just too high (same w/insurance)

Not only that......but with the price of gas shooting up, I'm kind of thinking twice about buying a V8. So what instead?

A Toronado ;)

Either this '91 (my top choice)

or this '87 Brougham

For one thing, they're relatively rare.....esp. good examples like these. Also, they're powered by the tried and true 3800 V6 (the LN3-"Pre Series I")....170HP/220lb-ft in the '91 (top) 150HP/200-lb ft for the '87 (bottom).

For that era, Toros were the best mix of sport/luxury you could get from an American manufacturer (though no, neither of these has the 'Trofeo' pkg).

Late May/June is my purchase target and as for any future mods? Probably just audio-related stuff (have an audio setup all put together already) along with window tint......though a paintjob might still be on the table.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could probably count on the fingers of one hand all the non-Trofeo "stretch" Toros I've seen in my life...
Which is exactly why I'm considering one.......looks like nothing else on the road :cool:

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Which is exactly why I'm considering one.......looks like nothing else on the road :cool:
The short version looks very similar to numerous other GM models from the same period (which GM acknowledged and fixed with the next generation). I like the stretch version, last of the era.

You also might want to consider a Buick Riviera -- the late 90s models were very attractive IMO.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That 1991 model is actually pretty cool looking, got any more angles of that thing?
See the price?? That's why my cheap *** is so interested! :D :D

The short version looks very similar to numerous other GM models from the same period (which GM acknowledged and fixed with the next generation). I like the stretch version, last of the era.

You also might want to consider a Buick Riviera -- the late 90s models were very attractive IMO.
I did look for Rivieras......however, I couldn't find one from the same era....there is an '84 out there with 84K on the odometer, but that thing will turn into a money pit eventually......besides that, there is a '95 and '96 out there.....but I don't want to have to pony up for either of those unless these Toros are gone by the time I'm ready.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
See the price?? That's why my cheap *** is so interested! :D :D
Haha, wow it IS cheap! And wooo radio with equalizer!

I completely gave up on trying to get a cheap fuel-efficient vehicle.. I'm just gonna charge people to car pool with me if they live on the way home from school.

1986 Monte Carlo SS > 1997 School Bus

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
I had one of those (it was a Trofeo) Blue on Blue.

They are a 3.8 but don't kid yourself on the mileage... These are big heavy cars. My 2002 STS gets only slightly less mileage.

Expect not much more then 17mpg in the city.

They do drive very nice though. And the are very unique and very rare... another great car GM forgot to market.

I remember driving it through Montana in the mid 90's... stopped in the middle of nowhere to get gas... Some good old boys in a GMC pickup with a gun rack on the other side of the pump informed me that they didn't like Japanese cars in their town... I said ya, I hate Japanese cars too, This is a Toronado.. They said... "Ya... well... we don't like Ford's either..." I smiled and got the heck out of there...

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Dude, you have to get the 91! It comes complete with Olds style "Barkalounger" seats, and the factory 1LZ rusty hood dent package! 2 highly sought after options!

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dude, you have to get the 91! It comes complete with Olds style "Barkalounger" seats, and the factory 1LZ rusty hood dent package! 2 highly sought after options!
If you saw how bad the rusty dents were on my Taurus....you wouldn't even say anything..... :lmao:

I had one of those (it was a Trofeo) Blue on Blue.

They are a 3.8 but don't kid yourself on the mileage... These are big heavy cars. My 2002 STS gets only slightly less mileage.

Expect not much more then 17mpg in the city.

They do drive very nice though. And the are very unique and very rare... another great car GM forgot to market.
I'm not expecting anything great.....with as conservative as I drive, I don't think the economy is really going to be a pain in my ass....it's not quite the deciding factor it is for other people, but with pump prices rising, I thought the 3800 would help out just a lil bit.....:)

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
I love the '90-'92 Toronados. I thought it was a great-looking coupe.

MT did a comparison (kind of an odd one) between it and the BMW 5-Series. They basically called it a draw and didn't have much bad to say about the Toro, not bad for a heavy FWD Oldsmobile.

My '90 Reatta weighed a similar amount and had the 3.8 engine. I'd get over 30 on the highway, and pretty decent mileage around town.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
The '86 to '89 Toro was a nice car too. In it's day, it did look kind of similar to the N-body cars and that hurt it (hence the "stretched" '90-'92), but when you see it now, the styling is rather nice.

Does the '91 have the color CRT? That actually worked rather well.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
For what it's worth, my '88 Sedan DeVille (4.5 TBI V8) got basically the same mileage as my '89 Olds Eight Eight with the first-gen 3800, around 25-26 highway (didn't do much city driving back then). But the Toronado is way cool, though they did have lots of tranny probs with pre-3800 3.8 V6 cars.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Does the '91 have the color CRT? That actually worked rather well.
They could have been optioned that way. The one in the picture is the base HVAC/Radio... AKA no touch screen.

Very few were built with the touch screen... It was expensive, "different" to use and some claimed not very "reliable"

My trofeo had buttons and not a single knob... with all of the seat buttons i think there were well over 50 of them.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
They could have been optioned that way. The one in the picture is the base HVAC/Radio... AKA no touch screen.

Very few were built with the touch screen... It was expensive, "different" to use and some claimed not very "reliable"

My trofeo had buttons and not a single knob... with all of the seat buttons i think there were well over 50 of them.
My Reatta was post-touch-screen, unfortunately. But it had digital instrumentation and there wasn't a knob in sight. But, everything was really easy to use.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts

'93 Allante ≥ Allante ≥ Reatta > Trofeo > Toronado > Eldo > Rivi:)eek:)

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
With the Trofeo, I know depending on the year and options you could get:

Digital speedo cluster, analog radio etc

Analog cluster, analog radio

Analog cluster, color touch screen (VIC)

And for '89 only, digital cluster and VIC

·
Registered
7,172 Posts

'93 Allante ≥ Allante ≥ Reatta > Trofeo > Toronado > Eldo > Rivi:)eek:)

Still such an beautiful car. Just a true classic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts