GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The debate has raged on in different message boards, I just want to see what GMI has to say about it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
seeing that the ss has more horsepower and cost more i would say that it is the top trim level

·
Registered
418 Posts
what kind of wierd question is that? The z28 has never been a top trim model. At least not whenever the super sport was around. The z28 has been a should be an entry level v8, and the ss should be the all out v8.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think he's talking about the future Camaro. It has been said that the Z28 will be above the SS when the next Camaro comes out. The Z28 was orignally the highest performance model, with a unique 302 engine. More recently the SS was a slightly higher output version of the Z28, although I believe this conversion was carried out by SLP for Chevy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Top factory level: Z/28

Top SLP level: SS

·
Registered
520 Posts
In 1996 and 1997 SLP Engineering took the Z28 and created SS models that were sold through Chevrolet dealerships. In 1998, the SS was made along side other Camaros by Chevrolet. However, you could still add SLP options to an SS such as the exhaust system and "ZR-1" style wheels. So actually from 1998 to 2002, the top factory level was the SS. SLP simply offered to add onto the stock SS performance.

As far as what should be the top level....... I really don't care. I just want a RWD, V8 powered Camaro back.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is about the future Camaro..
And SLP will have ZERO to do with any type of SS.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Apr 16 2004, 01:38 PM
this is about the future Camaro..
And SLP will have ZERO to do with any type of SS.
We're refering to older models when talking about SLP.

Is anyone on the same page? :argue:

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started the thread.... get on my page.

This is about the future Camaro.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well for a future Camaro, SS should be top model, balls-to-the-walls performance, lots of shared tech with the Vette, aggressive styling and so on. Z/28 should be more race-ready, with fewer options and subtler, yet recognizable styling. Power wise, the SS should be on top, but the Z/28 should be available in a low-weight version for people that want it for racing, like I already mentioned. And, of course, a base model LS (not RS) w/ a I6 or V6.

If a vert is made, it should be available on all but Z/28, like first-gens. It would help emphasize the race-ready idea.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I like the 1st gen idea where neither is really the top dog. The SS should remain as the more traditional big V8 while the Z28 should get a much higher revving engine and should weigh less. As far as acceleration they should be pretty close, but the different engines should give them a different feel. Racier for the Z28, more muscle-car slash luxo-cruiser for the SS.

I would think the SS would be more similar to a GTO in feel, while the Z28 should be more Z06 like.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Gee why doesn't the future Camaro go IROC
It would be nice to see Camaros racing again.
For this debate the SS should go to the top but not approach the Z06
or the GTO
The Camaro needs to be affordable and something a guy in his twenties can afford to insure. In other words a Mustang competitor.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IROC is a racing series that Chevy no longer races in, but Pontiac does.

·
Registered
236 Posts
To some people IROC is more mullet-ridden than any third gen.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by sceltor@Apr 17 2004, 04:28 PM
if you have nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
they should use SS for the top gun and z28 for the entry level v8.
by SS I understand more than the mods on the 4th gen:
- the engine from the next z06;
- suspension, brakes, wheel improvements;
-chassis reinforcing;
- lighter weight by using lighter seats and fewer insonorisation materials or even titanium exhaust and carbon fiber hood/trunk, etc...

Unfortunately they can't really go wild, they have to limit the price difference between 4 and 8k probably among them...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Apr 17 2004, 11:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Apr 17 2004, 11:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sceltor@Apr 17 2004, 04:28 PM
if you have nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all. [/b][/quote]
No offense intended, just trying make an objective comment. Sorry if it came across as negative.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Originally posted by banzai79@Apr 17 2004, 03:50 AM
I would think the SS would be more similar to a GTO in feel, while the Z28 should be more Z06 like.
I think that this should be the total opposite. The SS should be the highest performing version, with the Z28 the lower version V8.

·
Registered
248 Posts
While I know that the 1st gens did use the Z/28 as the top-dog, I can't see anything but the SS being the high-performance V8. Use the Z28 as an entry-level V8 and put the SS as the super Camaro.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts