GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week Virginia International Raceway held their annual Holiday Laps charity event. Pay $25 for 15 minutes on the track. It’s the easiest way to take your personal vehicle out on one of the most technical tracks in the country (world?) and see what you and your car are made of. I love this event so I showed up this year with my CTS Vsport. I have been dying to test the CTS on the track. I know by driving it everyday that the Alpha chassis, LF3 engine, and Brembo brakes are winners. But I wanted to see if the new CTS really is as good on the track as looks on paper.

The event at VIR doesn’t just turn you loose on the track. Cars head out in groups of 30 or so and there is a pace car. We were told repeatedly “It’s not a race. Just have fun”. Still, we got going up to 95 mph on the Climbing Esses, so we were moving!

I’ve driven my BMW 335i and a race-spec Ariel Atom on VIR, so I have a feel for what it’s like to be out there. I set the car in “Track” mode (naturally) and used the shift paddles. I was amazed by how composed the Cadillac remained on the course. My BMW was far less composed and was harder to drive well. I really beat on the Caddy once I realized it was responding well. Really ran the LF3 hard and put all 420 horses to work.

The tires only made noise and gave up grip once but that was because I got sloppy and totally botched turns 4 and 5. Otherwise, I was keeping pace and following the same lines as an experienced driver in a 2001 M3 and later a new Porsche Boxster.

Most of the cars out there were what you would expect to see at a track day: Corvettes, BMWs, Miatas, and Porsches. I had a couple people come up and ask how the car behaved out there. I told them all the same thing: you would not believe how well it handles for a car this size. It drives a lot smaller than it is, feels light, and puts up with everything I threw at it. Hard to believe for a luxury sedan. I felt in control and confident in the car all day. Took a couple curves harder and faster than I thought the car was capable of, but it took it all in stride.

I’m really excited to see what Cadillac did to improve Alpha for the ATS-V and CTS-V. These cars are going to be incredible. They’ll clearly address the one complaint I had about my Vsport at VIR: needs more power. I didn’t like it when I ate the dust of the ZL1 in front of me on the front straight during one session (he modded the car to 620 rwhp, but still!).

Maybe I’ll upgrade next year….

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Where was the go pro lol Ive been meaning to test drive a CTS VSport. Thats definitely a cool track to be on.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks like it was a great time with an even greater car!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts