GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Equal, equator, equation, equinox. I'm not an English teacher, but I think the "e" at the beginning of these words is a syllable by itself, so there wouldn't be "eek" or "eck" anyhow. I've always said it with the long "e". Howard Dean would pronounce it ,"Yeeaaagh!!!!"

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
ECK-winox is the correct pronunciation (looked it up in a dictionary)... though i prefer the sound of EEK-winox. that's how i've always pronounced the word. but i'm canadian too (like rex)... so apparently we canucks can't even get it together!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Eck-win-ox - Es-qu-lax - Do-co-lax :p

Damnit GM! I'll call it the way I see it! Just don't make up nameplates with "1337".

·
Registered
922 Posts
Dont know what dictionary you were looking in but my copy says its EEk-win-ox, and thats how I have always said it, and to me it rolls off the tongue and sounds better. I dont think I have heard anyone say ECK... Speeking of Equinox we had some at our plant, some engineers were driving them, so I took a look. Man GM is getting the hint, I love it even more. The only issue I had was you could see the painted door frame when it was shut, might not bother most people but I am not a fan of that look. But I would not let that stop me from buying one.

·
Registered
576 Posts
According to Merriam-Webster, either is proper. Like "Clit-er-is" or "Cli-tor-is". ;)

I prefer EEK myself. Eck sounds wrong.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I tend to make fun of imports by calling
Nissan: Nisson, Toyota: Tye-ota, Subaru: Subanuu,
and the best of them all Hyundai: Hunduwee

·
Registered
576 Posts

Those aren't imports, they are foreign brands. Many of Toyota's and Nissan's cars are made right here in the states.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Rabbit@Mar 26 2004, 09:56 AM

Those aren't imports, they are foreign brands. Many of Toyota's and Nissan's cars are made right here in the states.
Yes, That Toyota Toyota is made right here in the US...

Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, and Subaru are all foreign cars and how you figure they are not just because a few models are made here is beyond me.
The Chevy Aveo is from Korea.. does that make Chevy a korean car company? :rolleyes: Seriously, think about it.

anyway, I opt for none of the above; I say it ee-kwin-ox, but I guess eek-win-ox.

eat-the-box.... ee-kwin-ox... :type:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts