GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have approx a week and 1200 miles on my Z85 2wd Colorado (5 cyl, 5 spd, LS). Great truck but I am experiencing SIGNIFICANT side to side vehicular movement when driving on newly constructed concrete interstate highways and local (Colorado) roads that have the longitudinal rain grooves in them.

I picked the car up in Kansas City and drove it home over the weekend... my wife and I were like bobble head dolls anytime we were on concrete roads with the rain grooves... bad roads, just asphalt, etc, were fine. Truck tracks straight and true on them but not when roads have the grooves.

I called General, they say start with the dealer, fine, I'll do that. I also offerred to make myself and/or the truck available to any local General Tire product person for them to see/feel what I am talking about... General Tire person appreciated that but not sure anything will materialize out of it.

That said, any of you experiencing this?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Those grooves have done that to me with a variety of tires. That said, there aren't many roads around here like that for me to deal with.

If I were you, I'd spring for a new set of tires with a very different kind of tread.

Are they "Grabber" or "Ameritrak"?

The Grabbers are Mud and Snow rated, probably not ideal for highways with those grooves.

Here's an idea - buy some summer tires, like these: http://coopertire.com/us/en/ProductDetails...Type=SUV&id=198

Get some relatively inexpensive wheels to go with them, like these: http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/products/ma...&catName=WHEELS

And swap out your summer wheels/tires for the stock ones when winter rolls around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx Ming... they are GS60s... look like a very well constructed tire (520, A, B), not top of the line, but good tires. I spoke to the selling dealer and am going to have the front end aligned and then we'll go back to General. By the way, if that changes/fixes things I'll re-post here.

I have thought about different tires, but they'd probably be used year round. We just don't get the precip (snow) we used to so I'd prefer to just have a single set of good all around tires and not have to swap.

All that aside and with your comments if I was a tire manufacturer I certainly would not want to put out tires with those characteristics...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I assume you already checked the inflation of the tires?

Sounds like it cold even be a bad tire. I don't think I've experienced the type of road you are talking about, so maybe it is something the tire companies will have to look at in the design of the tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whoo hoo! I finally found someone else with this problem.

I bought my Colorado about 2 weeks ago, but it has been sitting at the dealership cause the dealer they got it from didn't receive the Monroney sticker from GM....so I was driving around a loaner Colorado...pretty much the exact same truck.

Anyway, I noticed this problem on both trucks where they sway from side to side....really strange feeling. The loaner truck wasn't that bad and drove great, plenty of power.

My truck however, has a BAD vibration around 40-60 mph and 1500-2000 rpms. These are 2 different problems I'm sure. But I was sitting in my driveway and revved the motor up a little abov 1000 rmps and the whole truck started vibrating. So I now have 500 miles on the truck and it may need a new motor. I am happy with it otherwise. But the sway is hopefully going to be fixed in a recall (we can only hope).

Anyone else have problems with the Colorado?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For anyone following this 'non-saga' or as equally bored on a Monday morning... I had the vehicle aligned Friday (toe was off) and I still get the side to side motion on new concrete highways w/ the rain grooves. Per General I need to refer this to the selling dealer and they'll work out "something" together.

"Details at 11"...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by mrh882@Jun 19 2004, 04:05 PM
My truck however, has a BAD vibration around 40-60 mph and 1500-2000 rpms. These are 2 different problems I'm sure. But I was sitting in my driveway and revved the motor up a little abov 1000 rmps and the whole truck started vibrating. So I now have 500 miles on the truck and it may need a new motor. I am happy with it otherwise. But the sway is hopefully going to be fixed in a recall (we can only hope).

Anyone else have problems with the Colorado?
Same here with the vibration, the dealer found two tires out of balance by 3 ounces. The re-balance did the trick for me, now if the brains in Warren could only give an educated (See #99-04-20-002B bulletin) reason for the drive line clunk I get in stop & go traffic and get the keyless system to work from farther than 10' from the truck I would be very grateful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts