GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had their tires siped?

I'm wondering if siping can make a silk purse out of my sow's ear Goodyear Eagle LS tires.

Otherwise, it's $230 for a set of General Altimax HP at Treadepot, plus mounting of about 50 bucks (TPI).

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Has anyone had their tires siped?

I'm wondering if siping can make a silk purse out of my sow's ear Goodyear Eagle LS tires.

Otherwise, it's $230 for a set of General Altimax HP at Treadepot, plus mounting of about 50 bucks (TPI).
I don't really like siping anything but M/T tires as most A/S tires have sipes designed into them and addtional siping could hurt handling and effect noise. I'm not usually a General fan, but those Altimax HPs seem to be a great tire so far.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Uhhh..no.
General's? I dunno..never been a fan. 300 bucks for a set of tires..sounds like a good deal, but still not a fan of Generals.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I wouldn't sipe old tires to get more life out of them. I have a friend who swears by siping on new tires.....but he use LT tires of the AT variety.

·
Premium Member
35,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't sipe old tires to get more life out of them. I have a friend who swears by siping on new tires.....but he use LT tires of the AT variety.
These are fairly new tires, 2000 miles on them. They are OK in the dry but useless in the snow.

I don't really like siping anything but M/T tires as most A/S tires have sipes designed into them and addtional siping could hurt handling and effect noise. I'm not usually a General fan, but those Altimax HPs seem to be a great tire so far.

Uhhh..no.
General's? I dunno..never been a fan. 300 bucks for a set of tires..sounds like a good deal, but still not a fan of Generals.
Generals were pretty mediocre. I guess someone woke up there and figured if they made a decent tire, they might sell some on other than OEM applications.

The Altimax tires get pretty good write ups from consumers and testers.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Well, Its possible...,but I have had so many problems with Conti/General tires, its almost a guarantee that Im gunna have problems.
I had 3 General G4S's tread sections just come off the tire after about 5 months on the car. Still held air...but no tire tread. Just steel belts holding pressure.
Belt shifting, tread falling apart, its just never good news. The only set of Conti/Generals thathave done well so far are theones on my GF's Escape, but they are wearing way to fast even with rotations/inflations, etc.

·
Premium Member
35,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, Its possible...,but I have had so many problems with Conti/General tires, its almost a guarantee that Im gunna have problems.
I had 3 General G4S's tread sections just come off the tire after about 5 months on the car. Still held air...but no tire tread. Just steel belts holding pressure.
Belt shifting, tread falling apart, its just never good news. The only set of Conti/Generals thathave done well so far are theones on my GF's Escape, but they are wearing way to fast even with rotations/inflations, etc.
Hmmm.

We've gotten great service out of the ContiExtremeContacts (205.55.16) we've used for years on my wife's PT Cruiser. Just put a new pair on the back, 190 bucks from TR.
They don't wear great, but they traction great and that's the main thing.

They are solid tires, they do well in the wet and have good snow traction and have been trouble free on the road.

They don't come in my size, I'd have to go to 205.55.15 (1.4% shorter) or 205.65.15 (5.3% taller). I would not hesitate to buy them, though.

What do you like in the 195.60.15 size? I need good rain and snow traction, as well as general (haha) quality and traction without an MPG loss.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
If you're leery of the Generals I'd recommend either Yokohama's AVID TRZ or Goodyear's Assurance TripleTred. The TripleTred is a bit more expensive than the Yoko.

You could always get a set of sweet looking white letter BFG Radial T/As. :D

·
Premium Member
35,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
195/60/15 I know that size... I prefer 195/65 gives a bit more meat... the best are the Hakkapeliitta, I had the Hakka Q in 185/65 and that works so incredibly good in snow. But for summer? maybe not.

Siping? you mean go with a chisel to the tire... I don't recommend...
The first I heard of siping was out here in the northwest. http://www.komonews.com/news/archive/4168146.html

Actually the 195.65 is taller and a tad narrower. I'd be tempted to go with the Dunlop SP60s in that size, I had some last winter and they were great in snow, ice, and hardtop wet or dry.

If you're leery of the Generals I'd recommend either Yokohama's AVID TRZ or Goodyear's Assurance TripleTred. The TripleTred is a bit more expensive than the Yoko.

You could always get a set of sweet looking white letter BFG Radial T/As. :D
I'm not leary of the Generals, just listening to BigAl. The best database I've seen for tire feedback is Tire Rack, and the Generals are at the top of the list there.

The GY TripleTread get good ratings, they cost about 40 bucks per tire more than the Generals. I can buy a spare at that price.
But that is probably the only GY tire I'd buy. The rest are overrated, overpriced, and underperforming IMO.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Am I the only one that had to look up what tire siping meant?

·
Premium Member
35,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
First I heard of it was in the northwest. See link at post #11.

I suppose it's done anywhere there's snow.

That would exclude you for the most part.

·
Registered
8,964 Posts
This thread is the first I have ever heard of it. The question I have is if it's so fantastic why don't the manufacturers produce the tire with these extra ridges to begin with?

·
Premium Member
35,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This thread is the first I have ever heard of it. The question I have is if it's so fantastic why don't the manufacturers produce the tire with these extra ridges to begin with?
It's the evil oil company-gas station complex-conspiracy, which wants you to die! :yup:

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
They actually do in winter specific tires. But they tend to be noisier and more expensive. They sure do the job though.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I had my tires 'sipped' new at les schwab. I've had them about 1 year now and I'll say I saw a marked improvement over my previous tires last winter & my dads roughly identical but non sipped tires on his truck. I'd say do it on new tires.

·
Premium Member
35,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I strongly discourage your pursuit of sipes. I once spent an entire night trying to pin down both sipes, and pertinent information regarding such. They are extremely difficult, if not impossible to find, and opinions on techniques to procure them vary to the extent of being useless. Looking back, it was a very frustrating and fruitless endeavor that left me with a vague sense of being ridiculed for some obscure reason.

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
My brother had a set of BFG MTs siped and all it did was cause the tread to fall apart. When he went back to the tire shop to complain they said that the tech had cut too deep and they replaced the tires for free. I wouldn't recommend siping for any tire.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts