GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Cobalt LT Sedan 2006 with the 16 inch Pirelli P6 tires. I want to replace them and I would like a smoother ride but at Discount Tire they said I should stick with H Rated tires since thats what GM recommends.
However, doesnt the 2008 Cobalt come with 16 inch touring tires now?
H rated tires handle better but they are low profile so I assume they also ride rougher.
I'm trying to decide between Michelin Destiny touring tires, Pirelli P4 touring tires, or Michelin Exalto A/S H rated tires.
Any opinions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
35,874 Posts
I have always bought H rated or above tires.

Until now.

When I looked at overall characteristics, such as hydroplaning resistance, wet performance, winter performance, etc. my final list came down to the top five at Tire Rack in the Passenger All Season department. These are all S or T rated tires.
No big deal.

Goodyear Assurance TripleTread
Michelin HydroEdge
Michelin Harmony
Goodyear Assurance Comfortread
Dunlop SP60

At bang for the buck, I bought the Dunlops and so far am very satisfied with them.
They are great in snow and water, they are very stable on the highway including highway groove resistance, and solid in the corners.
I went to a 65 profile vs. the recommended 60, which will give a bit more highway stability and should cut through water and snow better.

I have bought many sets of tires over the years, and IMO perhaps 1 in 10 tire saleshomies know their arse from their elbow. Or maybe 1 in 20.

FWIW, I will not buy another Pirelli. That's an old bias dating back to numerous Pirelli Cinturatos that tended to be NFG. I haven't met a Pirelli yet that can make its way through snow.

Your Cobalt probably has a 108 or 118 MPH governor. Which makes an H rating superfluous.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I should have added that I live in San Diego so I just have to think about dry performance and rain (yep, it rains here sometimes!)
The Pirelli P6 thats on the car now are awful, and all I read review wise about them is bad. The Michelin Destiny is Discount Tires version of the Michelin Harmony. I am definitely leaning towards that one-great customer reviews. I will look into the Dunlop and see if i can dig up some reviews.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
I've got H-rated 185/65/14's on my little econobox that thinks it's a sportcar
Yokohama H4S - like them a lot
TireRack^link

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Evans Tire has a great deal on now-buy 3 tires and get the 4th free plus a free wheel alignment. I dont have a full choice of the tires Im interested in from Discount Tire, however they do have the Pirelli P4 and the Michelin Harmony. Both are touring tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts