GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question in the Saturn forum, but did not get much resposne so i thought I would let you boys take a stab at it:

Does anyone know what type of tire pressure monitor is in my Aura?

I have read that there are two types: Indirect and Direct; and that Direct is much more accurate.

Can someone please explain the type found in an Aura and how it works? :)

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Its' direct. A pressure sensor in the valve stem of each tire sends the info remotely to the DIC.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Each tire has it's own valve stem/sensor.Each sensor produces radio signals.The remote control door lock receiver receives the signal from each sensor.The system is designed to turn on the low tire light when it senses a 25% drop of air pressure in any tire.The new system is very accurate.Ck your pressure at least once a month,and good luck with the new ride.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
How do you like your XR? I see it's an 07. So you don't have the direct tire pressure system that was made standard on the 08. Yours is simply the warning message on the DIC. This message does not indicate the pressure, just that tire pressure is low.

However different from the 08 which shows pressure for each individual tire to the driver in the DIC, it is still the direct system.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you like your XR? I see it's an 07. So you don't have the direct tire pressure system that was made standard on the 08. Yours is simply the warning message on the DIC. This message does not indicate the pressure, just that tire pressure is low.

However different from the 08 which shows pressure for each individual tire to the driver in the DIC, it is still the direct system.
I like my XR just fine. It has much more HP than I am used to and the mpg has been great (27 mpg) to and from work. I am currently having a problem with my speedo. Occassionally it malfunctions and will tell me I am going 85 mph when I am really going 35 mph. The dealer has ordered a cluster(??)
Besides the great performance, I get a lot of compliments on the exterior look and the high end options and when I tell them the price I paid for it - they are blown away!

Also, thanks for the info on the TPMS. I also get an email from Onstar each month with the exact pressure measured for each tire, so that helps me monitor also, because I like to keep each tire slightly over the recommended pressure (32 psi instead of 30)

Thanks again.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts