GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local Discount Tire mounted one of the Pirellis P7s inside out on my wife's PT. We ran them 226 miles before I noticed today and got the car over there.
My bad for not checking their work.

Their bad for doing half-assed work in the first place. Interestingly, there was a gal in there when I was there who'd also had a tire mounted backwards.

Sounds like someone needs some adult supervision.

Any damage running the tire backwards for 226 miles?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I wouldn't worry about damage, but that's just ridiculous to have happened.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
This has happened to me three times now. Twice at a Firestone, and quite recently at my Cadillac dealer. I think a lot of service garages need to hang a big sign that says "LOOK FOR THE LITTLE ARROW WHEN YOU MOUNT TIRES!"

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
This has happened to me three times now. Twice at a Firestone, and quite recently at my Cadillac dealer. I think a lot of service garages need to hang a big sign that says "LOOK FOR THE LITTLE ARROW WHEN YOU MOUNT TIRES!"
That's probably not the issue (by itself). What they need is to be sure to mark the wheels as to what position on the car that wheel goes on.

Sometimes the tire mounting machine isn't right there handy to the hoist, or it could even be a different guy mounting tires. Sometimes the wheels get moved around the shop a couple of times between taking it off the car, and putting it back on. The little arrow on the tire doesn't tell you how to mount it if you don't know which side of the car that wheel/tire goes on.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
That's probably not the issue (by itself). What they need is to be sure to mark the wheels as to what position on the car that wheel goes on.

Sometimes the tire mounting machine isn't right there handy to the hoist, or it could even be a different guy mounting tires. Sometimes the wheels get moved around the shop a couple of times between taking it off the car, and putting it back on. The little arrow on the tire doesn't tell you how to mount it if you don't know which side of the car that wheel/tire goes on.
All true, but at the end of the day, it's not the customers responsibility to point that out.

·
Registered
21,315 Posts
Drive in reverse for 226 miles, and the memory in that tire will be erased, however now the other 3 will be ****ed-up............ for that, I can't help.

:lmao:

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I had a bike shop mount my rear motorcycle tire backwards. Glad I checked before I left. Worst part was I made sure to point out the rotation when I dropped the wheel and tire off and they still screwed it up.

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ALWAYS CHECK WORK!!

I don't know how many tales of woe I've seen on the net over the years. Oil plugs loose. Oil filters not tight. Oil underfilled or overfilled. Tires at four different and wildly stupid pressures.

Trust but veryify, as RWR said once or twice.

The worst part is I now have to tire shine the REAL outside of the tire.

Life is tough, gentlement, life is tough! :drive:

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
The second time it happened to me at Firestone, I actually did tell the service manager when I brought the car in to remember that the tires (Firebird) where directional. They were still mounted backwards.

Most recently at my Cadillac dealer: My CTS Coupe has different size wheels front and back, so there were only two choices for each wheel. These were new tires that I was getting mounted, not a rotation. I did not point out beforehand that they were directional, but maybe I should have. All four were rolling the wrong way.

I had another fun mishap at Firestone. My '98 Trans Am had a large bolt sticking in one of the tires. I ran over it probably 100 miles from home and I was lucky not to have a blowout or lose any air. Brought the car to Firestone, showed them the bolt buried in the left rear tire. They mounted a new one; the tires were very new and I only needed to replace one, not both on that axle. I started driving home and heard the familiar clicking sound. They replaced the wrong tire, removing a perfectly good and virtually new tire and throwing it into the trash.

·
Registered
21,315 Posts
ALWAYS CHECK WORK!!

I don't know how many tales of woe I've seen on the net over the years. Oil plugs loose. Oil filters not tight. Oil underfilled or overfilled. Tires at four different and wildly stupid pressures.

Trust but veryify, as RWR said once or twice.

The worst part is I now have to tire shine the REAL outside of the tire.

Life is tough, gentlement, life is tough! :drive:
I know exactly how you feel; it drives me nuts, I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I usually do what I can myself, and when I can't do it or don't have the time, I hire it done, and end up pulling at my thick brown hair.............. :eek:

My most recent "attempts" at hiring something done:

1) I took my M-I-L's Jeep to get the oil changed, I'm biting my lip the entire process, when the guy that seemed to have a clue (working on top) yells to the guy in the pit, "remember righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" I'm thinking to myself, "WHAT"!?
(I checked the drain plug, filter and oil level before I pulled out of the parking lot)

2) Had my roof replaced, clearly the cheap builder grade shingles weren't going to last forever, but more ventilation would have helped, so I had extra vents installed, I had to practically hold their hand to cut the holes the size of the vents.
(2-story house with a walk-out = A LONG WAY DOWN) I was watching through the bedroom windows.

3) Had my living room / dining room painted.... huge, vaulted ceiling, etc. by the time he was "done" I didn't want him to paint the trim or apply the second coat. (note: the wife and I painted every other room in our house over the last 4 years)
(Guess he really wasn't $200 cheaper, but the hassle was worth it, now I know who isn't going to paint the outside of my house.)

After watching my neighbors get their deck stained.............. Yeah, I'm just doing it myself, started Labor Day, should finish-up this weekend. :clap:

Reactions: sfbreh

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder if that guy with the FAAAHRSTONE advertising voice knows about this?

send them a cd with Leapy Lee singing Little Arrows.
What would happen if they put the CD in the machine inside out?

The second time it happened to me at Firestone, I actually did tell the service manager when I brought the car in to remember that the tires (Firebird) where directional. They were still mounted backwards.

Most recently at my Cadillac dealer: My CTS Coupe has different size wheels front and back, so there were only two choices for each wheel. These were new tires that I was getting mounted, not a rotation. I did not point out beforehand that they were directional, but maybe I should have. All four were rolling the wrong way.

I had another fun mishap at Firestone. My '98 Trans Am had a large bolt sticking in one of the tires. I ran over it probably 100 miles from home and I was lucky not to have a blowout or lose any air. Brought the car to Firestone, showed them the bolt buried in the left rear tire. They mounted a new one; the tires were very new and I only needed to replace one, not both on that axle. I started driving home and heard the familiar clicking sound. They replaced the wrong tire, removing a perfectly good and virtually new tire and throwing it into the trash.
At least they were consistent.

I had my GP GXP (staggered wheel/tire size, fronts larger) in for something a few years back. Idiot Buick dealer sent it out to Les Schwab for some minor stuff.
"Guess what! You had the tires on the wrong ends! Les Schwab fixed it!"
Dumb pucks.

That takes a pretty accomplished moron to miss a bolt. No shortage of morons.

I know exactly how you feel; it drives me nuts, I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I usually do what I can myself, and when I can't do it or don't have the time, I hire it done, and end up pulling at my thick brown hair.............. :eek:

My most recent "attempts" at hiring something done:

1) I took my M-I-L's Jeep to get the oil changed, I'm biting my lip the entire process, when the guy that seemed to have a clue (working on top) yells to the guy in the pit, "remember righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" I'm thinking to myself, "WHAT"!?
(I checked the drain plug, filter and oil level before I pulled out of the parking lot)

2) Had my roof replaced, clearly the cheap builder grade shingles weren't going to last forever, but more ventilation would have helped, so I had extra vents installed, I had to practically hold their hand to cut the holes the size of the vents.
(2-story house with a walk-out = A LONG WAY DOWN) I was watching through the bedroom windows.

3) Had my living room / dining room painted.... huge, vaulted ceiling, etc. by the time he was "done" I didn't want him to paint the trim or apply the second coat. (note: the wife and I painted every other room in our house over the last 4 years)
(Guess he really wasn't $200 cheaper, but the hassle was worth it, now I know who isn't going to paint the outside of my house.)

After watching my neighbors get their deck stained.............. Yeah, I'm just doing it myself, started Labor Day, should finish-up this weekend. :clap:
If you want something done right, do it yourself.

Go back and bust some skulls. Drop a lift on somebody! Break some kneecaps!

Go on a backwards-tire-placement-induced rampage.
Watch the 10 o'clock news for film of the smoldering pile of rubble that used to be a tire store. :fall:

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you want something done right, do it yourself.
This! That's why I always do my own oil changes, tire rotations, brake jobs, and anything else I can on my Camaro and my wife's minivan. She used to have a Ford Focus a long time ago that totally lost its transmission within a day after having the trans. fluid replaced at a Jiffy Lube. :( Of course, they wouldn't accept any of the blame even though there was nothing wrong with it before I took it there. That's one time the extended warranty paid for itself. Never been back there or any other place like that since then. I've found that the brakes on newer cars are easier to work on, especially when rotors need to be replaced, since the wheel bearings don't have to be repacked or messed with. However, those seals bearing hub assemblies are expensive to replace when they go...

Greg

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On that example, "Outside" is stamped on one side of the tire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.