GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading on MyMonte.com about the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP having the same transmission as the Z34 and SS montes, the 4T65E tranny. All that is done for the tapshift is 2 buttons wired to shift up and shift down to hold a gear longer. I was wondering if anyone has ever done so or thought about making their own tiptronic on their Monte Carlo? I think it would be cool, plus im a huge fan of tapshift. Im assuming that even if you hold a gear too long or the engine is running too low for a gear to operate, the PCM will adjust the gear for you despite the tiptronic.

Would this perhaps damage the engine or tranny more so if its isnt meant for it? If the GTP has the same tranny as my Z34, couldnt it theoretically work?

Just a thought

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I was a big fan of the Tap Shift or Sports Stick (Dodge-Mitsu). In fact, I almost bought the Dodge Stratus coupe (R/T) instead. After a while of playing around with it, the newness wore off and since you're still going through a torque converter, it is not giving you more usable ponies.
So, when the Monte came out and advertised a heavier duty transmission (larger torque converter) and other motor refinements, I opted for the Monte.
Your input does beg the question why GM did not put it into the Monte. But this falls into the theory that they must distinguish the other cars. If they put a bigger motor into the Monte and RWD, the GTO would fall on its face, sales-wise.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Please! The Monte is UGLY!
If I was in the market for a new car. I would buy anything, including a Aveo or a Aztek, before a Monte. But, GM keep taking turds and slapping bowties on them, so the sheep will buy them.........

·
Registered
815 Posts
Originally posted by Maetrix66@Mar 18 2004, 08:05 PM
If I was in the market for a new car. I would buy anything, including a Aveo or a Aztek, before a Monte. But, GM keep taking turds and slapping bowties on them, so the sheep will buy them.........
Ouch!

:Heads:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear from a lot of people that they dont like the looks of the newer Montes...be interesting to see how they think with V8 and RWD under the hood of the oh so "ugly" Montes.

No even better yet...keep the FWD but have a more powerful sixer under the hood and watch it kick some Ford/Linc/Merc V8s

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
But GM knows one thing. The Montes and Impalas sell! And I guess this is one factor that comes up at the boardrooms regarding the question of re-design.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Mar 20 2004, 05:32 PM
But GM knows one thing. The Montes and Impalas sell! And I guess this is one factor that comes up at the boardrooms regarding the question of re-design.
I have wondered if consumers buy the Monte because they see the body style in race cars and assume they have a sports car?

Back when NASCAR started the cars that raced were actually that high performance stock out the show and in your face.

Just curious is all???

:unsure:

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
That was the beauty of the early NASCAR. So many vehicles had to be sold for street use for the car to qualify. This action brought many of the test results from the race track into the public's vehicles. Nowadays, the cars have nothing in common with the production model except for the name.
But GM has the Dale Earnhardt series Monte Carlo as well as the other editions (winners circle, etc) knowing that they are cashing in on the ruboff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts