GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

· Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Times really are a-changin' at Cadillac
The brand is expanding the CTS range and will introduce an entry-level crossover and a baby Caddy as well
JEREMY CATO

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

May 29, 2008 at 12:00 AM EDT

DETROIT — With Cadillac, as with so much of General Motors Corp., the good times are just around the corner. That's when those new models arrive, when the hot new technologies hit the showroom, and the marketplace recognizes how good the new Cadillacs really are.

What makes all this so different now, 10 years into Cadillac's revival, is that the future may actually be here.

GM's luxury brand, for the first time, has its own global styling director. There are confirmed plans to launch new models below the current CTS, which until now has been Cadillac's entry model.

As well, a hot-shoe version of the CTS called the CTS-V has been blistering Germany's Nurburgring, posting the fastest lap times by a production sedan and breaking the eight-minute barrier. The CTS-V goes on sale in a few months, followed by a stunning coupe version of the CTS shortly thereafter.

Continue reading:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...29.wh-caddyMain-0529/BNStory/specialGlobeAuto

· Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Times really are a-changin' at Cadillac

I love this quote:

We need to get the merger of the STS and DTS done and re-emerge as a solid prestige competitor."

Also on the list is a car sized and priced under the CTS — a baby Cadillac. In a visit to Cadillac's design studio in suburban Michigan we saw hints of it under stretchy black car covers.

"As the CTS moves up to be $30,000 to $40,000 (U.S.), you are creating space for a smaller Cadillac in the $25,000 (U.S.) range. Can we use a vehicle at $28,000 to $32,000 that would address a whole other customer group that would be under the CTS? Absolutely."

Oh, the baby Caddy is more than viable; it's in the works. Cadillac design director Clay Dean, 46, wouldn't show it to us, though he all but confirmed it is coming, and sooner than you might think.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
We kinda know all this already...

But I guess this is my favourite part:
"We cannot compete effectively if Cadillac is one more iteration of the smooth, slab-sided sort of BMW, Mercedes, Acura, Lexus appearance," Lutz said. "We have to be distinctive and boldly American, but in a very good way."

· Premium Member
13,378 Posts
I look foward to the small Caddy. My only concern is will other cars be sacraficed in order for the "BTS" to have success?
Will the new LaX or Malibu be decontented so it does not fight with the BTS for sales? Or will they just leave it to the fact that people will buy a BTS because its a Caddy, and not look at a Malibu or LaX.

· Registered
1,872 Posts
I think for the most part I have nothing to object about regarding Cadillac's direction. The only issue I have is that they're taking very long. Let's just hope that when their new car comes out in 2010, for example, it will be competitive with everything else released in 2010. Because I realize that is why we are impatient: we are afraid it will be irrelevant and outdated by then.

· Registered
10,454 Posts
Uh...it's just one car really. The CTS is a great product, but Cadillac needs the coupe and maybe even a crossover variant yesterday.

When they are done with that, they can put the same great effort into a new full sized sports sedan to compete against the LS450..and after that they can go with a fancy convertible to slot under the XLR.

· Registered
3,516 Posts
Hopefully the baby Caddy will be RWD. If not, then it WILL compete with uplevel Malibu's and Buick LaCrosses. I see Buick especially having a tough time if it's mid-level entry competes toe to toe with Caddy's entry-level.

It's sad that Lexus outsells Cadillac, but I suppose that has to do mainly with ES and RX sales.

· Super Moderator
11,051 Posts

I love this quote:

We need to get the merger of the STS and DTS done and re-emerge as a solid prestige competitor."

Also on the list is a car sized and priced under the CTS — a baby Cadillac. In a visit to Cadillac's design studio in suburban Michigan we saw hints of it under stretchy black car covers.

"As the CTS moves up to be $30,000 to $40,000 (U.S.), you are creating space for a smaller Cadillac in the $25,000 (U.S.) range. Can we use a vehicle at $28,000 to $32,000 that would address a whole other customer group that would be under the CTS? Absolutely."

Oh, the baby Caddy is more than viable; it's in the works. Cadillac design director Clay Dean, 46, wouldn't show it to us, though he all but confirmed it is coming, and sooner than you might think.
I wonder what the time table will be? I've read that Alpha is being pushed back for a bit of reworking - let's hope they get it on line soon so we can get a BLS/BTS here and now.

· Registered
45,625 Posts

Funny. I think I said that back in 2003. Better late than never GM... tick tock...

Though, I must say, $25,000 is a lot lower than I would have expected for the base Cadillac. I would have expected something about $29,995 or something.

But the issue remains, how will Cadillac position the BT3 in the marketplace? And how will the BT3 be marketed? Hopefully performance is on par with G35/37 and the 3-series.

· Premium Member
8,864 Posts
I guess there are some Cadillac reveals coming up at the auto show circuit late this year and early next. Hopefully we'll see the baby-Caddy and the DTS-STS replacement. I do hope it's something akin to the Sixteen, though at 7/8ths size. That would truly differentiate it from the CTS and have a car people want to strive for.

I do like a reasonable price for the entry level Cadillac. Bring them in on price, and only increase it once the reputation is solidly back.

· Banned
36,517 Posts
I guess there are some Cadillac reveals coming up at the auto show circuit late this year and early next. Hopefully we'll see the baby-Caddy and the DTS-STS replacement. I do hope it's something akin to the Sixteen, though at 7/8ths size. That would truly differentiate it from the CTS and have a car people want to strive for.

I do like a reasonable price for the entry level Cadillac. Bring them in on price, and only increase it once the reputation is solidly back.
Next year for products due in 2011? that would be bad. If its due 2011, we should not see it until 9 months before launch. Do it next year and the LS mid life upgrade will incorporate Cadillacs designs

Cadillac also needs to see mid cycle refleshes of Escalade, a new X5 competitor and a new XLR,

· Registered
5,242 Posts

I'm thoroughly confused by this quote. Why does the CTS need to "move up" to be $30k-$40k US... it's already $34k-$45k or so, isn't it? The Alpha at $25k seems like bargain pricing for the segment, which almost always implies cut corners... A base of $28k to $29k with no compromises would be far better, IMO.

""We have our SRX to cover the top end [of crossovers], but we don't have the lower end covered."
Great, so you cover the lower end and give up on the top end... what use is "filling holes" like that :rolleyes:. Imagine if BMW killed off the X5 when the X3 came out...

Fleet sales should boost that number by 10 to 20 per cent, so for 2008 Cadillac should move about 210,000-220,000 cars and trucks this year — a good 100,000 below Lexus and a projected fourth or fifth overall among luxury brands in North America.
Lexus, BMW, Mercedes... who would be fourth if Cadillac were to be fifth? Didn't think Acura, Infiniti, Audi, Lincoln etc. were anywhere close to 200k/yr in sales. :confused:

· Banned
6,587 Posts
What change?

The entire Cadillac range remains VIRTUALLY unchanged. CTS removed and nothing has changed. Even the worst ever Corvette, the XLAX, is near carbon copy of the bad taste by the tens of thousands of dollars. Every other Cadillac is a leftover not even warmed up.

And what about the CTS? It remains blandly styled, unimpressively finished, and prone to significant sticker shock when you find one well equipped. Interior materials, while improved over the prior version, are nothing to brag about. Extensive assembly joints abound in the interior and this is quite distracting. Sitting in the interior is like looking out of a pill bunker in WWII - you have narrow windows that look large on the outside but are narrowed considerably on the inside. Trunk space is unimpressive - access is even worse, and the rear seat comfort is considerably worse than a MKZ.

We are now a decade into the supposed Cadillac revival. Still after 10 years they haven't sold more vehicles than they did in 1990.

Wake me up when Cadillac gets serious. Changing one model after six years is not progress. It's half stepping to progress just like the rest of the messed up GM.

· Super Moderator
11,051 Posts

Funny. I think I said that back in 2003. Better late than never GM... tick tock...

Though, I must say, $25,000 is a lot lower than I would have expected for the base Cadillac. I would have expected something about $29,995 or something.

But the issue remains, how will Cadillac position the BT3 in the marketplace? And how will the BT3 be marketed? Hopefully performance is on par with G35/37 and the 3-series.
Is that what the name is going to be? BT3? I had read that GM trademarked the CT5 and CT6 nameplates as well. Are we going to see new designations just as the carbuying public is getting used to these nameplates?

If this is true, then it lends credibility to the rumor that the DTS/STS replacement was going to be called DT7 or DT8 and that the AWD version was going to be dubbed DTX.

I guess Caddy is looking to keep everything lined up in a row BT-class, CT-class, DT-class for their "Core" products?

I agree - better late than never, but they should have done it in '03.

I think that $25K is too low as well. But something tells me that will be a stripped out model that no one will order. Kind of like the 3-Series. Starts at liek $28K but good luck finding one on the lots.

I'd say we'll see it start at $27K/$28K and top out at nearly $40K for a fully loaded model. That will allow the CTS to eventually start in the $34K-ish realm as other improvements are made and it moves more upscale.

As for a comparison between the G35/G37 and the 3-Series: If any of GM's recent efforts are any indication of where they are going with this product, I'd imagine it will come close. I hope they dont let us down.

· Registered
126 Posts
Can anyone summarize what is known or believed to be known so far about this smaller Caddy? (I haven't been able to keep up on this but am lately more interested.)

Do we know the platform or size? Are any sketches floating out there?

I assume date is unknown (though hinted above as sooner than expected) and then a 25K price is mentioned though this seems awfully low - like someone else mentioned, I'd expect it to start at like 29,9. I suppose this is wanting one's cake and eating it too but a sub 30K price would be nice along with this having the feel of a "true" Caddy.

More and more I am eyeing Invicta as my next car and am shying away from my preferred alternative of a larger car (mainly because of my fear over future fuel prices). CTS would be ideal but quite a stretch, financially...and I don't want to go used again (after a bad experience with an '02 Monte Carlo). So suddenly BTS looks interesting to me.

Malibu, Impala replacement, Invicta, Lucerne, G8, CTS, BTS, upcoming Saabs...these are all on my desirable list...heck, even the Silverado makes it...I'm all over the map. I guess it is good to have so many choices!

· Registered
5,242 Posts

I think that $25K is too low as well. But something tells me that will be a stripped out model that no one will order. Kind of like the 3-Series. Starts at liek $28K but good luck finding one on the lots.
3 series base is $32K+. As you said, good luck finding a base model anyway... and why would anybody want one -- it's just the seats and the wheels, and not the good wheels and the good seats either.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.