GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to divest General Motors stock?
by Andy Hoag | The Saginaw News

When Timothy M. Riley sold the shares of General Motors that he held for 30 years, he didn't think the price of the stock could dip any lower.

That was more than a year ago.

"Once I retired, I hired a financial planner, and he suggested selling the stock," says Riley, who serves as his township's treasurer. "I would have rather not have had to do it. There was a time when it was real good, up to $70 or $80 a share."

Faced with soaring gasoline prices, showrooms full of fuel-thirsty trucks and a sputtering economy, GM shares slid to a 54-year low last week before rising 66 cents to close at $10.78 in trading Tuesday.

As recently as late January, the stock cost $28 to $30 per share.

The company could lose $6.9 billion this year and $4.3 billion in 2009 before swinging a $2.3 billion profit in 2010, according to JPMorgan Chase & Co. auto analysts.

A predicted rebound isn't enough to encourage buying shares, says Steve Anderson, branch manager at Hilliard Lyons, 4835 Towne Center.

"The keyword is maybe," he says. "You generally want to see a little bit of firm data. At this point, (the prediction) is based on certain suppositions that we don't know how will play out."

And although the stock just hit a low doesn't mean the "buy low, sell high" theory will work, Anderson says.

"Sometimes stocks continue to go down," he says. "People thought Ford was a good buy when it was at $10 a share."

Tuesday, it closed at $4.90 a share.

Edward Jones Investments, which has five locations in Saginaw and Saginaw Township, recently stopped providing opinions on General Motors, officials say. Before the decision, investors at the firm advised clients to sell GM stock.

http://www.mlive.com/businessreview/tricities/index.ssf/2008/07/time_to_divest_general_motors.html

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Seriously, when do you ever hear an analyst say, "Well, the stock is at its 52 week high, and has been going up consistently for the past year and a half. Time to sell." They often guess at lows, looking for a stock to rebound, but just as often you get this kind of thing. "Stock is low. Sell." Where was the analysis at $20-30 that set a price target of $9?

How do you get a job as an analyst, and what does it take to lose your job?

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Time to buy?

I would be extremely hesistant to put any money into a long GM position right now, given the level of uncertainty. I wouldn't want to be sitting on a big pile of worthless GM common stock in the event of bankruptcy.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
The old me is tempted to buy a little for fun.

The new me is afraid it may get cancelled.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Seriously, when do you ever hear an analyst say, "Well, the stock is at its 52 week high, and has been going up consistently for the past year and a half. Time to sell." They often guess at lows, looking for a stock to rebound, but just as often you get this kind of thing. "Stock is low. Sell." Where was the analysis at $20-30 that set a price target of $9?

Go to school at a top university, get top grades, pass 5 rounds of interviews, be willing to work 100 hours a week, and accept abuse by your VP and MD that would violate the Geneva Conventions.

Analysts don't get fired. You get a 3 year contract as an analyst, get your MBA, and get hired back as an associate.

Memories...

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Go to school at a top university, get top grades, pass 5 rounds of interviews, be willing to work 100 hours a week, and accept abuse by your VP and MD that would violate the Geneva Conventions.

Analysts don't get fired. You get a 3 year contract as an analyst, get your MBA, and get hired back as an associate.

Memories...
You just made me cry, poor thing. How about a shot in engineering branch?
All that minus the money and social and corporate respect.
P.S. And abuse from business spin masters how to do your job.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
You just made me cry, poor thing. How about a shot in engineering branch?
All that minus the money and social and corporate respect.
Well, yeah... there's a REASON why I didn't go into engineering. Though, I would only argue that the advantage we have is monetary in nature. Analysts get zero social OR corporate respect. In society, they're money-grubbing fat cat bankers, and in the bank, they're considered lower than dirt.

I try to treat my analysts with some semblance of mercy...

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Well, yeah... there's a REASON why I didn't go into engineering. Though, I would only argue that the advantage we have is monetary in nature. Analysts get zero social OR corporate respect. In society, they're money-grubbing fat cat bankers, and in the bank, they're considered lower than dirt.

I try to treat my analysts with some semblance of mercy...
I wish I would have been aware of that 15 years ago...

...I've kicked around the idea of getting a math teaching degree. 3 year program, math teachers are in demand, its easier, you get summers off. And, my earnings could catch up in 5 years or less & are certain to eclipse anything I will get if I stay an engineer, & I say that being a reasonable distance up the totem pole. I can only imagine where I'd be now if I had known and gone that path back when I was in school.

Where I work, the spouse of EVERY engineer earns more, all with less education. Engineering is so broad that in many cases jumping to other industries is tough unless you are willing to start at the bottom, which is hard after trying to stick it out at one company for 10 years.

It makes me want to get into my little 10 year old Civic and driving myself to the bar...

·
Registered
439 Posts
some ANALYST know what they are talking about,but on the whole most don't have a clue.....you are given X number of companies to monitor,gather info,get sources and most couldn't forecast any better than a local forecaster in real time

·
Registered
522 Posts

Memories...
Being a person with an MBA, I've had that experience too...Tell us you'll sell your mother's soul to the devil and you're in..
That's precisely why I left the financial services business this year.

·
Registered
439 Posts
in regard to engineering ....do some research on the apollo program give good engineers a goal,don't fire them because wall street says cut costs and make sure they are team player ....WITH A GOAL ....and they should exceed yours or anyones expectations ....wall street is into daily knee jerk reactions ...when in fact most businesses should operate on 2-5-10 year plans...and yes with most of the same players....nothing like being part of a team with a goal.....but then again it is up to management to set the right goals

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
I left the insurance business many years ago ,because I wondered how some of the people in that industry could sleep at night
Heh... it's funny that you think we actually sleep at night... that's when we put on the cloaks and have our conspiricy meetings with the Rockefellers and Rothschilds, and plot how to destry the middle class.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I'm actually surprised they are saying sell now when they know most people who own GM stock paid a whole lot more for it. It can't go too much lower without being worthless so I would just hold it and wait for 2010 when they "could swing to a 2.3 billion dollar profit."

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I wish I would have been aware of that 15 years ago...

...I've kicked around the idea of getting a math teaching degree. 3 year program, math teachers are in demand, its easier, you get summers off. And, my earnings could catch up in 5 years or less & are certain to eclipse anything I will get if I stay an engineer, & I say that being a reasonable distance up the totem pole. I can only imagine where I'd be now if I had known and gone that path back when I was in school.

Where I work, the spouse of EVERY engineer earns more, all with less education. Engineering is so broad that in many cases jumping to other industries is tough unless you are willing to start at the bottom, which is hard after trying to stick it out at one company for 10 years.

It makes me want to get into my little 10 year old Civic and driving myself to the bar...
DO NOT GO INTO TEACHING!! Been there, done that. I taught high school, tech school and prison classes when I was an out of work engineer. The prison class were the best to teach. Other teachers there said they'd quit if they had to go back to teaching in the regular schools.

I thought about teaching math or science before I took that job. I'm glad I didn't. it was a real eye opener.

·
Premium Member
35,874 Posts

Perhaps get an MBA like our Fearless Warrior Chieftan, lead your minions into a mentally bankrupt lost cause, declare victory, and retire with your golden parachute?

Frankly I have no use for the corrupt and greedy investment bankers. They have no interest in the United States, their interests end at their bank balance.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Heh... it's funny that you think we actually sleep at night... that's when we put on the cloaks and have our conspiricy meetings with the Rockefellers and Rothschilds, and plot how to destry the middle class.
Call me a paranoid but I think these things are real scenarios behind the curtain just looking around what happened to my Generation X. Maybe you did not reach that high in corporate/businnes ladder to see those late night parties.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Call me a paranoid but I think these things are real scenarios behind the curtain just looking around what happened to my Generation X. Maybe you did not reach that high in corporate/businnes ladder to see those late night parties.
You're paranoid. There is no cabal.

The international banking conspiricy is an office joke, especially here at JPM Chase. Our bank is viewed as the king of the conspiricies, with our connection to Pierpont himself, as well as the Rockefeller family.

Whenever we have a luncheon with the C-Suite, the jokes start flying about the cabal, the cloaked meetings in the secret chamber on the top floor, how we're going to destroy the middle class AND kill Superman, and such. Yes, I have met David Rockefeller, and frankly, at the time, he seemed a bit on the senile side to do much conspiring.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
There is panic in the streets and the market. When everyone says sell, that's usally when you buy. Even the shorts are starting to cover.

I think you could double your money in 2 years if you buy GM today.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts