GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Bloomberg

Will Another Five Years of Tiger Woods Save Buick?: Doron Levin
Feb. 12 (Bloomberg) -- The world's most recognizable male athlete drove to the Torrey Pines Golf Course near San Diego on Monday in an unrecognizable new Buick.

The prototype of a future convertible that General Motors may or may not build drew attention and stares -- or maybe it was the driver, Tiger Woods. GM public relations people hoped the stunt might generate some buzz for Buick, a division that has just limped through its worst sales year in half a century.

Woods, who has been under contract to General Motors Corp. to promote Buick since 1999, was scheduled to tee off this morning at Torrey Pines in the Buick Invitational, which he won last year.

Woods has been rated the world's No. 1 golfer for 235 straight weeks. Yesterday he signed for another five years with GM at an undisclosed sum, which advertising professionals estimate could be more than $25 million.

Last week in Chicago, Gary Cowger, GM's president, announced that the No. 1 automaker will invest about $3 billion over the next five years for new Buick models, perhaps including the convertible.

Declining Sales............Full Article

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
I can recall seeing the Buick Bengal several years back at the New York Auto Show, and I was amazed at how well the car looked in person (as opposed to its somewhat awkward appearance in photos). I also thought this car, or something similar to it, could do wonders for Buick. The reason: I don't recall seeing so many young people (from all races, mind you) around a Buick in... forever. In fact, there were a few guys in their early 20's somewhat "guarding" the concept so that other show-goers had to excuse themselves and squeeze by them just to get at the car. While these guys may not have had the greenbacks to purchase one of these cars, it sure was refreshing to see this demographic lusting for a Buick.

I personally would be satisfied to see Buick buidling a reasonably affordable "Dr's car" again. Somehow, there seems to me to be more cachet in the Buick name than Honda or Toyota. Buick definitely has demonstrated that it can build high-quality, reliable cars. They just need to shore up some weaknesses in the design and engineering departments.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE+Feb 15 2004, 04:22 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TaHoE @ Feb 15 2004, 04:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-chicubs@Feb 14 2004, 10:59 PM
a little late on this one...too bad no one had a camera around.
Huh? :huh: [/b][/quote]
Its just that other sites had it up way before and usually you guys are first...doesnt matter, though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Originally posted by chicubs+Feb 15 2004, 11:14 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chicubs @ Feb 15 2004, 11:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2004, 04:22 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-chicubs
@Feb 14 2004, 10:59 PM
a little late on this one...too bad no one had a camera around.

Huh? :huh:
Its just that other sites had it up way before and usually you guys are first...doesnt matter, though. [/b][/quote]
We normally don't check Bloomberg for auto news

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
dayum, 3billion? Ouch, that takes a big chuck out of someone. I hope that 1 billion goes into a mega Zeta chassis factory. Think about how many cars can be made off this chassis!! This plant is gunna be megggga huge. at least 5 cars off this chassis. And this droptop is a concept or a production car? pics? embargo?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I believe that the $3 Billon to be spent on Buick, will enhance its model lineup, with replacements and I have HEARD that a new auto plant is being built in Lansing, MI maybe for a new Buick model

Here's how the production plants of current Buicks go: NOTE SOME MODELS WILL BE GONE BY 2005
LeSabre- Lake Orion, MI, USA
Century- Oshawa, ON, Canada
Regal- Oshawa, ON, Canada
Rainier- Moraine, OH, USA
Rendezous- Ramos Arizpe, Mexico
Park Avenue- Lake Orion, MI

FUTURE LINEUP-
Terraza- Doraville, GA
Lacrosse- Oshawa, ON, CANADA
Convertible- ? Maybe Lansing, MI?
LeSabre replacment- Lake Orion
PA replacement- Lake Orion
new Sport Wagon- (2007) ? I am guessing Lansing, MI

·
Registered
459 Posts
Originally posted by Hwood@Feb 16 2004, 12:54 AM
I thought Lake Orion was switching over to Epsilon for the G6.  I could be mistaken though.
Your right, it quit producing the Bonneville and Aurora months ago as of January they were still building Buicks there. They were moved to the Detroit Cadillac Plant for 04 models, except for the Aurora which was discontinued.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Theres no pics out there, it sounded like GM pulled a big suprise on us with this one, even on the major press sources (who didnt have a camera at that time).

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
Could it have just been the Buick Blackhawk concept car from a few years ago? The one that looks like a 1939 Buick? It's a convertible and fully roadworthy.

I dont know if GM and Buick would take the chance of letting someone see their new concept car before the official introduction at the NY auto show, but since no one seems to have a photo of the car, maybe it was not such a bad idea.

If it was the new NY concept car, then the Buick convertible has to be closer to production that most people think, I dont think that Buick would take the chance of letting someone drive a concept car to a press event like that and then take the chance that the car could breakdown or something, the press would have a field day with something like that, especially since it was another chance to spread egg all over GM's face.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Originally posted by TransAmChic@Feb 15 2004, 05:22 PM
We normally don't check Bloomberg for auto news
Car sites had it up first too, but like I said it doesnt matter. I was just surpised gmi wasnt first as they usually are. :p

·
Registered
524 Posts
Originally posted by MCGARRETT@Feb 16 2004, 01:06 PM
Could it have just been the Buick Blackhawk concept car from a few years ago? The one that looks like a 1939 Buick? It's a convertible and fully roadworthy.
Now that was a concept. Fuel injected 455. drool.

-T

1 - 20 of 35 Posts