GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.leftlanenews.com/thee-row-jeep-crossover-coming-next-year.html

Long overdue. Was it production contraints or lack of clear vision as to what they wanted it to be? Its a no-brainer for THE SUV brand to have a three row offering. With the GC's air suspension and 4WD system it should be fairly off road worthy, even in this larger size.

I really like the GC's styling and interior, so hopefully this is similar. Since most of the large SUV's have been turned into boulevard cruisers, I could see a market for this.

Reactions: cad1cts

·
Registered
846 Posts
An air suspension that has only 5.5 inches of travel.
Yep, that's off road worthy.
Sorry if I don't think much of vehicles that are hamstrung by poor suspensions that have to rely on computer techno wizardry to make the think work off road.
I'd much rather have a suspension that allows the wheels to touch the ground.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
If this.... and the current Durango had a diesel......

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
This is definitely something Jeep should get. On a related note I continue to think there'd be an interesting proposal in having a Ram 1500-based Jeep SUV with an IRS and standard Hemi/8AT. Although it seems more like something Dodge or Ram would sell, Jeep would have potential overseas in areas like the ME and Russia. Plus Jeep can command serious money (40K for a Wrangler, 60K for a Grand Cherokee) already. And once you sit in a new Grand Cherokee Summit and experience that excellent interior, or one in a loaded Ram, I think it'd be something that could easily challenge a Denali in reality and image. Obviously this isn't something Chrysler is likely to do any time soon as that market shrank years ago now, but a person can hope.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
This is definitely something Jeep should get. On a related note I continue to think there'd be an interesting proposal in having a Ram 1500-based Jeep SUV with an IRS and standard Hemi/8AT. Although it seems more like something Dodge or Ram would sell, Jeep would have potential overseas in areas like the ME and Russia. Plus Jeep can command serious money (40K for a Wrangler, 60K for a Grand Cherokee) already. And once you sit in a new Grand Cherokee Summit and experience that excellent interior, or one in a loaded Ram, I think it'd be something that could easily challenge a Denali in reality and image. Obviously this isn't something Chrysler is likely to do any time soon as that market shrank years ago now, but a person can hope.
So can Ram, though. $60k+ for a Ram.

Jeep would be a better small truck.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts

Well, to each his own.

Think that is perhaps a bit big in more than one way - including internal opportunity costs.

Personally think a Dakota II is more the way to go or maybe..... a steelie Wrangler XL PU.

But for a Yukon contender, eh, blow up the Durango just a bit / bring the new 3 row Jeep the right way and well, what more do you really want ?

Taking on the longer wheel base Yukons, Escalades, and Suburban head on might have some strong value - but besides the ifs involved - at what cost ????

Also do not think the market wants expansion for these per se ie there is like so many other segments only so much room; bring a strong second and both lose out.

FCA is not out of the woods yet as you know not by a longshot - the storm clouds continue to gather so the nice to haves are something for later - perhaps.

Unless you can really catch a cost / mpg boost somehow.

Whoever figures out some sort of much smaller but highly useable V8s .... gasser and TD alike.... is going to have a win assuming all the rest is nominal.

A 3.2 / 3.6 V8 TD would be in future terms of special interest here.

Especially with more advanced EM kit.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
But for a Yukon contender, eh, blow up the Durango just a bit / bring the new 3 row Jeep the right way and well, what more do you really want ?
Certainly a more likely solution. They're sure to maintain the Durango as it is now and have it compete with the crossover crowd. I'd think the Jeep version should keep the wheelbase and go a few inches wider but have a bit more ground clearance and use all the awesome off-road features that the Grand Cherokee already offers (hill decent, adjustable height). Even factor in the approach/departure angles. Grand Cherokee-izing the Durango essentially. Skip the Grand Cheroke's base Laredo and start with something like the GC Limited's equipement and you're already in Enclave/MDX/QX60 territory. A loaded one should be comfortably into the 60s considering a GC Summit 4WD EcoDiesel is already nearly 60K.

Think that is perhaps a bit big in more than one way - including internal opportunity costs.
It probably doesn't cost that much to develop though. It's an SUV exterior over a Ram with a different interior. All of the tech and 97% of the mechanical bits all just carry over. It's a margins vehicle, rather than volume. If they sold 35,000 annually (similar to an Expedition at present), it'd basically be a win.

Personally think a Dakota II is more the way to go or maybe..... a steelie Wrangler XL PU.
Those should happen too. I wouldn't say this is the only utility vehicle they need at this point, but just one that could be profitably effective.

Taking on the longer wheel base Yukons, Escalades, and Suburban head on might have some strong value - but besides the ifs involved at what cost ????
Eh, even in my proposal I wouldn't offer a LWB version initially. If the sales were there as well as determined demand then yes.

Unless you can really catch a cost / mpg boost somehow.
EcoDiesel! I wonder what the take rate for such an engine would be for large SUVs.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An air suspension that has only 5.5 inches of travel.
Yep, that's off road worthy.
Sorry if I don't think much of vehicles that are hamstrung by poor suspensions that have to rely on computer techno wizardry to make the think work off road.
Compared to a Tahoe with 8in max of ground clearance? WTF you talking about, its not a Wrangler, this would be class leading.

They said supposedly it's their most luxurious vehicle ever, so it'll be interesting to see why they said that.
I'm interested in the styling.
said link tells Range Rover is successful in that field, why not the same for Jeep?
IMO Jeep will sell well the new vehicle.
Based on how well they've done with the GC, I have all the confidence in the world they will nail this. I think it will be very well received as well. If you can get 90% of a RR @ 60% of the price with Jeeps reputation, that bodes well.

If this.... and the current Durango had a diesel......
One can only hope. I think its more a constraint than demand problem right now. I just read the other day they did some things to increase ouput at VM Motori.

On a related note I continue to think there'd be an interesting proposal in having a Ram 1500-based Jeep SUV with an IRS and standard Hemi/8AT. Although it seems more like something Dodge or Ram would sell, Jeep would have potential overseas in areas like the ME and Russia. Plus Jeep can command serious money (40K for a Wrangler, 60K for a Grand Cherokee) already. And once you sit in a new Grand Cherokee Summit and experience that excellent interior, or one in a loaded Ram, I think it'd be something that could easily challenge a Denali in reality and image. Obviously this isn't something Chrysler is likely to do any time soon as that market shrank years ago now, but a person can hope.
Unfortunately, I think that ship has sailed.....

I don't see why or how a Wrangler Unlimited frame minus the back seat and rear doors would be terribly difficult to do for a small pickup.
Its not. I know you can get conversion kits, but the cost doesn't really justify doing it. I think its kind of a no brainer to add it to the portfolio, to be honest.

Certainly a more likely solution. They're sure to maintain the Durango as it is now and have it compete with the crossover crowd. I'd think the Jeep version should keep the wheelbase and go a few inches wider but have a bit more ground clearance and use all the awesome off-road features that the Grand Cherokee already offers (hill decent, adjustable height). Even factor in the approach/departure angles. Grand Cherokee-izing the Durango essentially. Skip the Grand Cheroke's base Laredo and start with something like the GC Limited's equipement and you're already in Enclave/MDX/QX60 territory. A loaded one should be comfortably into the 60s considering a GC Summit 4WD EcoDiesel is already nearly 60K.
Thats pretty much what I envision as well, I would just like to see the dimensions increased a bit from the Durango, but I know you start running into problems with incline/departure angles, etc....

·
Registered
525 Posts
This is long overdue and GM needs to take a serious look at Jeep and emulate a similar strategy that Sergio is implementing for Fiat Chrysler and do the same for GMC. Now that Cadillac is being moved and treated as an in house automaker with some ties to GM's lower brands the Same should be done for GMC. Why can't GMC be a global brand? I ask myself all the time, what is GM doing? Chevrolet is no longer in Europe and they have already allocated serios money to sponsor Manchester United. Why not change the Chevy to GMC and Sell GMC/Cadillac as a two prong strategy for Europe. Especially since Caddy is going to need some Diesel motors to be considered in Europe. Let Pandora(GMC) out of the penalty box!

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 20 of 38 Posts