GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a Pontiac Torrent or possibly the Chevy Equinox.
What are people thoughts on these. I prefer the look of the Torrent.
Are there any problems to be aware of? I am looking at getting a used 2006 model opposed to a brand new one as they are out of my price range.

All help or info appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
They're pretty good cars...as long as you don't end up with nsap's Equinox.
I prefer the Equinox more myself, partly since it's the original. But to each his own.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
You can get alot more "SUV" in other vehicles. Not to say the Torrent is bad. It's comfortable and spacious and is a decent daily driver. On the down side the drivetrain is dated and not as efficient as many others out there. Also, reliability is kinda spotty. A 2004 or later Saturn Vue with a V6 would be a much better alternative. The Honda drivetrain is bulletproof and prices are about the same as the Torrent or Nox.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I have a rental one today while my LaCrosse is the shop getting some warranty work. (Will post outcome and observations later.)

What I can say so far is that I like the Torrent. I found the 3400 engine to be more than adequate for merging onto the highway and cruising at 70 MPH. As this is a bit of a stripper model, I did not have a full DIC to tell me fuel-efficiency numbers or anything. I found the interior to be less cheap feeling than the Vibe I was in a few weeks ago. The visors are pretty flimsy in my opinion however. It had a cloth interior. I would go with leather if you can spring for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I currently have an 04 Santa Fe. It doesn't have any safety features like abs or traction control. Needless to say winter driving is an adventure in itself.
I had a grand am before which was a great car. The Santa Fe has given me more trouble then I want to deal with and I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't mind continuously paying expensive repair costs.
I test drove a Torrent and was surprised at how much space it had in it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Even though the differences are slight, the Torrent carries the design to a higher level then the Nox. IMO go for the Torrent--its sportier (at least in looks) and a bonus is that you can find it in a parking lot :)

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
They're pretty good cars...as long as you don't end up with nsap's Equinox.
I prefer the Equinox more myself, partly since it's the original. But to each his own.
The VUE was the original, actually. :eek:

Don't count the VUE out of your search as others said. I think the Honda 3.5L V6 didn't come in until 2005 tho. The previous 3.0L Vauxhall engine wasn't great and neither is the 3.4L unit in the Equinox or Torrent. But I do agree the Torrent is the best looking of the bunch. :yup:

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
The VUE was the original, actually. :eek:

Don't count the VUE out of your search as others said. I think the Honda 3.5L V6 didn't come in until 2005 tho. The previous 3.0L Vauxhall engine wasn't great and neither is the 3.4L unit in the Equinox or Torrent. But I do agree the Torrent is the best looking of the bunch. :yup:
Well yeah, I meant of that body style though. Since the Torrent is basically just an Equinox with red darts all over it.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Well yeah, I meant of that body style though. Since the Torrent is basically just an Equinox with red darts all over it.
The Red Dart is a fine emblem and I would have no problem having one on the front of my next vehicle as long as the product is worthy.

I am sure you could pick up a slightly used Torrent pretty cheap right now too.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
The Torrent is a lot more thought out design than its Chevy counterpart. The Equinox looks down right flea market cheap to me. If I was considering these two, I'd pick the Torrent handsdown.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Are there any real differences between the years 2006 and now for the torrents besides colours?
Also I thought I read somewhere about 2006's having some issue with the antenna being loose or coming loose?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can someone also tell me what the gas mileage difference would be between an all wheel drive and front wheel drive?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Can someone also tell me what the gas mileage difference would be between an all wheel drive and front wheel drive?
FWD:
City 17
Combined 19
Hwy 22

AWD:
City 16
Combined 18
Hwy 21

Pretty average for a 6 cyl. SUV....if you want less look for something with a 4 cyl.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
my mom has a 2005 equinox it has almost 70k on it and it has not had any proplems. the 3.4l like said in older post does have very good passing power. give it some gas and it takes off and gives a nice little exhaust sound to. my moms is awd and she gets about 20-22 city driveing and on long highway trips about 24-27mpg. the inside is cheap thats the only down fall on this car. but the outside if very nice looking. hers is that purple/blue color and when i detail it for her it stand out big time.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I wouldn't let a loose antenna determine my purchase decision :)

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Isn't the "red dart" an arrow head?? lol
It sure is. One thing that Pontiac should do is make sure that it is a fade proof emblem. Nothing worse than seeing your red "Arrow Head" fade to pink. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts