GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
...but why do all SUVs have rear windshield wipers and most cars (barring the Mazda6 and others I can't think of right now) don't?
Many station wagons, minivans, SUVs and hatchbacks had them because of the natural accumulation of road grime, especially in rainy or wintry conditions!

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
Many station wagons, minivans, SUVs and hatchbacks had them because of the natural accumulation of road grime, especially in rainy or wintry conditions!
:yup:

And when you think about it, a car (like a Malibu or Impala) doesn't exactly have room for a rear wiper. There's nothing but a trunk beneath. I don't know if that's an actual reason, but it seems as if every vehicle with a rear wiper has something beneath it to support it, like a tailgate or something.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
And plus the airflow over/around an SUV will actually cause rain to stay on the rear window whereas the air flowing over the roof of a car will help to push the rain down the rear window.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
And plus the airflow over/around an SUV will actually cause rain to stay on the rear window whereas the air flowing over the roof of a car will help to push the rain down the rear window.
Exactly. I wish rear wipers were legally required on ALL vehicles. Heated side mirrors too!

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Previous gen Lancer Evolution had a rear wiper.

I am sure there are more sedans and coupes with rear wipers than you think.

People (including me) just tend not to notice it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
It would be nice to have. One great reason I can think of is in the morning when there is dew on the back window, you don't have to wipe it down or use the rear defroster. Also when you are backing out somewhere and it is raining hard.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I've owned three vehicles in a row with rear wipers, but I don't find them useful enough to use that often. I can usually see out fine, and they often aren't adjustable enough to fine-tune the wiper speed to the amount of rain.

I was helping someone car-shop, however, whose early requirement was rear wiper. She didn't like any of the cars with rear wipers in her price range, but she considered it "settling" for something without one.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
Yeah, we have one on our Caliber. I really don''t use it. The wiper is small and doesn't clear much of the window. Plus he wiper blade is already permanantly bent on one side so it doesn't clear too well.

I could do without it, but to each their own I guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts