GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ive always been a sucker for a clean IROC. nice find.

I still want an 87 with the t5 to sit next to my 89, and would like to find a 90 1le car as well. someday..

But until then i will enjoy the nice cars that people like you present to us:cool:
Have we seen pics of your '89? If not, let's see it!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Doesn't your 3rd gen have a C4 front brake swap? How'd that go and how much of an improvement was that?
Well, it was a massive difference because I also went to rear disk brakes. I purchased the kit drom someone who wanted to go back to stock, so we traded spindles.

Wouldn't be great if the leak was from a loose pan bolt or bad pan gasket!? I suspect it might be a front seal though, which is much more involved.
Front seal is what leaked on my auto.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Wouldn't be great if the leak was from a loose pan bolt or bad pan gasket!? I suspect it might be a front seal though, which is much more involved.
If it appears to be coming from the front seal which due to the age is very possible try adding some seal conditioner like JusticeBrothers has first. It might soften up the seal and for a few $$ it's an easy try.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Very nice! My uncle still has his '87 IROC with the auto/350. He bought it right after he graduated high school. It's sitting in his heated garage with only 27k miles on it right now!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Have we seen pics of your '89? If not, let's see it!
I dont have any online pictures to post. Its just a factory looking black 89, with t tops, no decals, no fog lights, black windows, and the inlay of the wheel is black instead of the factory tan. Has custom SFCs and 6pt roll bar with beard seats on the inside. Was a 350 auto car, but now has a T5 that is crying for mercy. Because it is behind a sb400 with stealth ram, AFR heads, and about 10.5:1 compression :D

Sadly, it doesnt get much love these days, its sitting in my enclosed trailer. Have put about 100 miles on it in the last five years. I dont drive it much because the trans wont last if I drive it the way I want to. I dont have the money to put into the trans yet, and wont for a few more years. Then it will get a lot of attention. It is in dire need of a suspension rebuild. And I want to switch it to a black or grey interior and get rid of the tan. Then it will get a six speed. And more then likely will get an LS3. Be a downgrade on power, but will be a lot more driveable, along with better fuel econmy, but it will still have enough to be a fun drive. I sure miss driving it.
Wow, this became long, real quick, :drive:

That is nice, reminds me of Sinister's car from the thirdgen & iroczone boards.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Hey Z284ever, nice car. It reminds me of the Player's Challenge series cars here in Canada. I used to love going to those races and I love those cars!

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Yup. Came today. I've got it in storage while I move into my new house. It is, essentially as I expected. Maybe afew more stone chips that I expected. It really needs someone to give it some TLC. Needs ALOT of detailing. I need to repaint some of the black trim, and all of those stone chips. Front spoiler has a small crack I wasn't aware of, doesn't run as smooth as I'd want it, and some weird sqealing/howling from the rear drums when I apply brakes. I only looked it over for about a half hour. It's certainly no show car, (yet). But it appears solid, rust free and unmolested. I just need to go through it top to bottom and address it's needs.

BTW, it has a non-posi rear with aluminum drums. Talk about a 1 wheel peel.

Honestly, I can't wait to dig into it. As soon as I get moved in and have a place to work. I've got some cell phone pics I'll post later.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
It's like the beautiful arch-nemesis to my Mustang. It works because they're the same color and a 2001 Mustang has about the same power as a a third gen Camaro. HA!

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
What's it weigh? What's the hp?

Still cool! A real beauty. What did you pay for such a fine rude like that?

Have a great time with it.

I expect you will be having a lot of fun.

Thanks for sharing

Enjoy

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
If we're posting yellow Camaros now - here's mine. This was from way back in the 80s... I used to have good pictures but this is the last one after the rest burned in a fire...

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
That is my favourite Camaro. And still one of the nicest wheels ever on a car.

The lines on the IROC were classic. This car, more than the same era Trans Ams will be worth money in the future methinks. There's just something about it that still makes me smile.

Beautiful car. I could see owning another 3rd gen f-body someday.

I've always said this too: the lines are classic. To me, just a perfect shape. I know a lot of people would laugh at this, but I think it's (3rd gen Camaros and Firebirds) just one of the best looking cars ever.

It always pisses me off when I see some "comedian" making the usual redneck or mullet jokes about these cars. I think the image those created, which was never accurate (f-body buyers were always a broad demographic), still hurts f-bodies to this day. Considering that, while not hugely expensive, they weren't cheap cars (plus insurance costs), you'll find far more rednecks driving Corollas than f-bodies.

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
That is my favourite Camaro. And still one of the nicest wheels ever on a car.

The lines on the IROC were classic. This car, more than the same era Trans Ams will be worth money in the future methinks. There's just something about it that still makes me smile.
I love the Iroc-Z but I had a 1990 exactly like this (pictured) - and it too is very nice...

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
I love the Iroc-Z but I had a 1990 exactly like this (pictured) - and it too is very nice...

That was a beauty Sal. My '90 was a Formula, not a Trans Am. But it was white too, a great color for that body style I thought. Still my favorite of the cars that I've owned. 167K absolutely trouble-free miles.

I'd love to get an '89 turbo T/A. Saw one yesterday for $15K on craigslist...

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/2635729699.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-ft-1989-turbo-trans-am-20th-anniversary.html

·
Premium Member
6,926 Posts
I had a 1988 Firebird Formula 305. Really fun car. And faster than my 90 T/A - same engine - for some reason. I guess it was geared better...

I'd love a nice 3.8 liter turbo T/A...

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
I had a 1988 Firebird Formula 305. Really fun car. And faster than my 90 T/A - same engine - for some reason. I guess it was geared better...

I'd love a nice 3.8 liter turbo T/A...

When the Formulas came out, I know that they were reviewed as being somewhat of a stripped Trans Am. Same mechanicals, less weight without the ground effects. Both of my '90 Formulas (one was bought used in '03) were 305s. Loved those cars.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
I guess that you won't be able to miss me. :D
LOL! No, I don't think so. Course, I have seen other yellow Camaros around, but not that generation recently.... :)

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker | 5 Monte Carlos + 1 Caprice Classic
CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.models.RadioShows.legos.HO.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Looking at me now you might not know it" __ Emerson Drive __ 'Moments'

41 - 60 of 63 Posts