GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This C6 Corvette With A C3 Body Is The Perfect Combination of Old And New
BY ANDREW GUTMAN | POSTED ON APRIL 3, 2021

Everyone likes a good restomod. The combination of modern amenities with classic aesthetics is a package that sounds quite appealing. In the case of this C3/C6 Corvette mashup, however, it takes that to a whole new level.

The car was created by a Hungarian shop called Hardcore Engine Builders and was found by the Corvette Forum. However, despite their name, they worked on much more than just the engine. While many restomods typically use the car’s original chassis and add a modern drivetrain, what Hardcore Engine Builders did was actually the opposite: they used the C6’s chassis and drivetrain, then added the C3’s body on top.

As for what exactly comes from the C6, this restomod uses its steering components brakes, 6-speed automatic transaxle with paddle shifters, and engine. That engine is the standard LS3 V8, albeit with a few upgrades. In its stock form, it made 430 hp (436 PS / 321 kW) and 424 lb-ft (575 Nm) of torque, although with its new stainless steel long-tube headers and exhaust system, we’d suspect it makes a bit more. The car also includes some modern electronic amenities such as traction control, ABS, and keyless entry.

After that comes the C3’s contribution: the body. Once all the mechanicals were in place, it was carefully placed atop the chassis, then painted in Nardo Grey and accented with light blue on the mirrors, side vents, and stinger stripe that runs down the center of the car. Those blue accents also appear on the engine cover and in the interior, helping to pull the whole theme together even further.

Lastly, on things that don’t come from either donor car, the restomod features custom wheels with white “Corvette Stingray” lettering on the tires, as well as what appears to be custom lighting, although that wasn’t confirmed. There’s also no word on the suspension, but it would stand to reason that it could either come from the C6 or the aftermarket.

carscoops.com

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
Very cool project.

I wouldn't choose the C3 as my perfect Corvette body. Not that I hate it, but not my choice. If I ever decide to sell my Trans Am, the replacement will likely be a Corvette. Leaning towards a C7 now. But I've always been a big fan of the C4 as well. No bad Corvettes, but it's C4 or later for me.

·
Registered
17,260 Posts
Very cool project.

I wouldn't choose the C3 as my perfect Corvette body. Not that I hate it, but not my choice. If I ever decide to sell my Trans Am, the replacement will likely be a Corvette. Leaning towards a C7 now. But I've always been a big fan of the C4 as well. No bad Corvettes, but it's C4 or later for me.
I love the C4, such a clean design! Doesn't hurt that I was a teen in the '80s, so that's the current style when I became interested in cars and of course has a soft place in my heart. However, if I were doing a conversion like this, I'd go with the C2 body style.

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
I love the C4, such a clean design! Doesn't hurt that I was a teen in the '80s, so that's the current style when I became interested in cars and of course has a soft place in my heart. However, if I were doing a conversion like this, I'd go with the C2 body style.

It's always surprised me how little respect the C4 gets. Maybe it's too recent or because it was around for such a long time. It was such a clean, modern design that has aged really well. The car that truly made the Corvette world class. I was 20 when it came out, so that could be a reason why I've always like it so much too. (I still drive my all-time favorite car from the timeframe - '88 Trans Am.)

I think it was posted on this site a few months back where someone (a Brit) did a recent C4 video review. He was blown away by just how good this 25-year old car is, particulary with the handling. He paid something like $7,000 for it. I forget the mileage on the car. it wasn't particularly low, maybe 60K (guessing). He drove around country for a month, racking up 10,000 miles trouble-free. He'd be hard-pressed to find an English car from the 1980s that could do that.

Reactions: Murrow

·
Registered
8,903 Posts
It's always surprised me how little respect the C4 gets. Maybe it's too recent or because it was around for such a long time. It was such a clean, modern design that has aged really well. The car that truly made the Corvette world class. I was 20 when it came out, so that could be a reason why I've always like it so much too. (I still drive my all-time favorite car from the timeframe - '88 Trans Am.)

I think it was posted on this site a few months back where someone (a Brit) did a recent C4 video review. He was blown away by just how good this 25-year old car is, particulary with the handling. He paid something like $7,000 for it. I forget the mileage on the car. it wasn't particularly low, maybe 60K (guessing). He drove around country for a month, racking up 10,000 miles trouble-free. He'd be hard-pressed to find an English car from the 1980s that could do that.
He must have only driven it on glass smooth roads because they ride worse than an overloaded stagecoach.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Only mistake they made with this was the tire lettering

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
He must have only driven it on glass smooth roads because they ride worse than an overloaded stagecoach.

He drove it over much of the western US.

I've driven a C4. Not sure what your issue is with it. And I lived in western Pennsylvania at that time, on roads that were anything but smooth. It handled like a go-kart. And as for smoothness, you can only expect so much in a car of that type, but it has a four-independent suspension and absorbed bumps reasonably well. Of course, my regular car at this time was a Firebird, so a Corvette would have felt pretty smooth in comparison.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts