GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$4k in price, outside is very close to pristine with a couple of things abused in the interior.

I saw a couple of recalls on the net, but nothing too major and all have been fixed on this car. Anyone have any insights into common problems with this car?

I need a cool SUV that runs and I can trash for another 100k, is this it?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Looking for something to put a lot of miles on, reliable, easy and reasonable to fix, and an suv type 4x4. Get yourself an xj if you are looking for a good reliable suv type. Jeep stopped making them in 2001 but there are a lot of them around. It will have the 4.0L motor which last and last and the aw4 bullet proof tranny. If you can find one with the selec-trac t-case you will also have full-time and part-time 4wd. My son has one with 200,000 miles and the original drivetrain. It just keeps going and going.

I would be leary of a lr with that many miles, especially if something went wrong with it, parts will be $$$$. If the lucas electronics gets a gremlin it's a $$$$ pain. My buddy has one. He is on the phone with the dealer service dpt. all the time.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My gf used to have a 96 4.0 Cherokee thing was great, I drove it a lot. But Jeeps are expensive especially older ones with 4.0s I see used prices going up to because GM will only **** it up.

Thing about the LR, I love that old notch up roof, like on the old Nova wagons. If I can find a two door 4.0 Cherokee for the same or less than yeah but this car is in a dealer's lot.

EDIT: Damn electric problems are easily fixed, not that scary all you car guys but LR boards probably are a bit expensive.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I saw a couple of recalls on the net, but nothing too major and all have been fixed on this car. Anyone have any insights into common problems with this car?

I need a cool SUV that runs and I can trash for another 100k, is this it?
Here's an alien perspective :D

Apparently the bits which do rust are the roof, the wheel arches on the rear doors. If the seals around the alpine windows are dried out and they collect water then eventually they will rust out. Also when you open the rear doors check the wheel arch next to the seat for signs of rust. I think the bonnet is steel (?) but the rest of the panels are alloy.

Besides that check the chassis, bushes, shocks, swivel houses and the hoses are usually dried out. Nothing unusual for a 13 year old 4WD

I haven't owned one. A work colleague who's handy with cars bought a well-kept D1 two years ago (V8 auto) and its been great - just some thorough initial maintenance to bring it up, and no dramas since. In comparison to a Cherokee its not especially fast or economical but the V8 sounds very mellow and the ZF auto is a good unit. Class-leading offroad credentials and yet its a surprisingly comfortable vehicle. With a bit of care these things are a strong BOF 'genuine 4x4' and intrinsically built to last - just find a good 'non Monday build' example

I know a few people who've had the older Cherokees and all have had problems, mainly electrics, plus related to their typically chintzy construction. Maybe unlucky but herabouts they dont have the reputation for H/D design & extreme service life that Land Rovers do, nor a good rep for reliability. But of course it very much depends on the particular L/R example you get, and subsequent care you give. Because any vehicle can be trashed. For more info you might wish to visit aulro.com (AU forum)

Personally I'd risk owning a well-selected Discovery over an 'equivalent' Cherokeee any day of the week

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
My favorite LR Disco are the ones from 1999 to 2003 and those new Range Rovers but they are out of my league for now hehe

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
My friend had a '95 Disco for about a year with around 120k miles I believe. He didn't have much trouble with it but that thing DRANK gas like no other

1 - 14 of 14 Posts