GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phoebe Wall Howard
Detroit Free Press

An estimated $1 million worth of new 2022 Ford F-150 Raptor pickup trucks were stolen from a Dearborn Truck Plant storage lot, a Dearborn city official confirmed to the Detroit Free Press.
Ford on June 10 reported the missing high-performance trucks, which have a base price of $69,905, with multiple calls to police during that weekend, said Bilal Baydoun, Dearborn city spokesman.
Theft of brand-new vehicles from factory lots is surprisingly common. Earlier this year, a few high-end vehicles were stolen from Stellantis lots around Detroit. In May, a Chevrolet Camaro theft from a Lansing plant led to a high-speed chase. In 2018, nearly a dozen Ram pickups were stolen in a fashion similar to this month's Ford theft.
COLA costs:Will cost-of-living raises push inflation even higher? Maybe, but the effect is small.
Inflation fights:OK, boomers, we worked hard. But does that matter now?
The base price of a 2022 Ford F-150 Raptor pickup starts just under $70,000. Police recovered 13 trucks reported stolen in June 2022 from the Dearborn Truck Plant.

Police find some of the trucks, stripped and damaged
Dearborn police have recovered 13 vehicles over the last week, mostly in Detroit and a couple in Dearborn, he said. Dearborn is immediately west of Detroit and is home to a large F-150 factory.
"There was evidence of fences being rammed," Baydoun said. "When they (trucks) were recovered, you could see signs of damage and some things were stripped away, tires, that kind of thing. They were in various states of disrepair."

One arrest has been made and the investigation remains open and active, Baydoun said.
Raptor is a more powerful F-150
The Ford F-150 Raptor is wider, taller and more powerful than the standard F-150.
Car and Driver called the F-150 Raptor an "off-road trophy truck living in an asphalt world. It wears extra-wide fenders, long-travel suspension, big tires and the high-performance demeanor of a Baja-bashing race truck."
Kelli Felker, a Ford spokeswoman, said Friday the company is cooperating with police on the investigation.

Contact Phoebe Wall Howard at313-618-1034 or[email protected].Follow her on Twitter@phoebesaid.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Not sure if just the thieves have gotten this much better... or modern theft deterrents just haven't.

Have read stories on 'wrap you vehicle FOB in aluminum foil at night; thieves walk around your house and read the transmitter code off it, then go start your vehicle and drive off.'

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I'm constantly surprised how easy it is to steal some vehicles. There should be a class action lawsuit against the OEMs to improve security of modern vehicles. There's no excuse. You shouldn't be able to unlock or start a vehicle without the approved key. There are simple, enhanced security features that could be employed.

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
585 Posts
in a country where so many innocent people get killed in shootings, why can't thieves be shot? I don't get it. There's no security to let them steal because of somekind of insurance benefits?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I'm constantly surprised how easy it is to steal some vehicles. There should be a class action lawsuit against the OEMs to improve security of modern vehicles. There's no excuse. You shouldn't be able to unlock or start a vehicle without the approved key. There are simple, enhanced security features that could be employed.
The reason that carjacking became more common as a crime a few decades ago was because stealing cars while unoccupied and parked had been made much more difficult.

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Not sure if just the thieves have gotten this much better... or modern theft deterrents just haven't.

Have read stories on 'wrap you vehicle FOB in aluminum foil at night; thieves walk around your house and read the transmitter code off it, then go start your vehicle and drive off.'
They make faraday pouches to protect your signal. If your car has a proximity sensor and you leave your car outside there are signal boosters that can send the signal from your fob.

Basically your fob is alway talking to your car but you have to be very close to the car for the door to unlock and inside the car for it to start.

If a guy with the booster follows you into the hardware store, restaurant, etc. he can boost your signal to his accomplice who is standing outside of your car in the parking lot. He can then jump in your car and start it like the fob is within the vehicle because the boosted signal fools the car into thinking the fob is in the car since the signal is so strong.

I use this one.

It drives me nuts that the manufacturers haven’t come up with a good solution.

·
Premium Member
37,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
The reason that carjacking became more common as a crime a few decades ago was because stealing cars while unoccupied and parked had been made much more difficult.
Correct.
These days, car makers insist on provisions for remote unlocking and starting of the vehicles once a code is transmitted, capture those codes and you’re in…

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Sounds like most of the Raptors have already recovered…..
More Fords still getting stolen from Ford plants later on in the week...

Suspect leads police on chase after 6 Ford Mustangs stolen from Flat Rock assembly plant
3 Ford Mustangs still missing

FLAT ROCK, Mich. – Officials say a suspect led police on a chase after six Ford Mustangs were stolen overnight from the Flat Rock Assembly Plant.

The Flat Rock Police Department said that the vehicles were stolen Thursday at 3:19 a.m. near Gibraltar Road and I-75.

Initially, officials said that five Ford Mustangs were stolen from the plant as the thieves drove passed a Ford Security Guard that was guarding the gate.

It was later determined that the final number was six after the Michigan State Police located one of the Mustangs driving northbound on I-75, which resulted in a pursuit, officials say.

After the short-lived pursuit, the suspect was taken into custody, authorities say.
The Detroit Police Department say they recovered two other Ford Mustangs unoccupied in the areas of 23rd Street and Warren Avenue and Springwells Street and I-75.

Police say that three Ford Mustangs have been recovered so far.
The other three remaining are Brittany Blue and Grey in color.

LINK

Some of the 15 raptors that were stolen have been stripped of parts, they probably can be refurbished with the parts nobody would ever know the difference, 6 Mustangs were also stolen from another Ford plant later on, police caught 3 perpetrators as the idiots never looked at the fuel gauge they were caught arrested when they run out of fuel.

Must be an insider job both Raptors/Stangs were stolen at Ford plants, because they were new vehicles "Ford pass" security parameters were probably not have been set-up, not all Ford cars have the tracking system fitted. If the car thief wanted to steal them, they would disable the location on FordPass GPS first, open the FordPass app and go to the main menu. Then, select the “Vehicle” option and choose the “GPS” tab. Toggle off the “Location” setting and you shall have disabled the location services for your FordPass GPS, any bright young computer savvy 5 year old kid will be to disable Ford Pass tracking system in seconds for his Dad, wonder why they never stopped at Fords security at the Ford plant, probably like the good ole days when you just flashed a cigarette packet as a security pass or maybe stolen pass or insider job.

Ford Pass tracking systems seems garbage if you can just go into the menu and disable it, you would have thought a better system would be you have to go to contact Ford pass subscription services and be required to give a weeks notice for them to disable it, as these are stolen new cars they had not been set-up yet.

Lucky that 3 of the idiots that stole these vehicles were caught out by their own stupidity they simply forgot to look at the fuel gauge they were caught when they run out of fuel LOL...

·
Registered
22,419 Posts

·
Premium Member
37,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not clear on this. Don't factory storage yards have the ability to build fences and gates? Maybe hire a night watchman or two ?
So you're saying you don't believe in Trust Thy Neighbor? That is soooo rad! Can't we all just get along?

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I always left the key in the ignition on my old Elantra beater. I figured if someone stole it they really needed it worse than I did. To my embarrassment, there were never any takers. I finally gave it away to a charity who fixed it up and gave it to a non-thief. I feel so noble.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts