Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thieves drill gas tanks to steal fuel
High pump prices prompt thefts
By Tamara Race
The Patriot Ledger
Posted Apr 17, 2008 @ 12:10 PM

PLYMOUTH -Police say it’s a 1970s crime wave all over again. Only this time, thieves drilled into gas tanks instead of siphoning to steal fuel.

Someone cut through a fence at King Collision on Holman Road, drilled holes into gas tanks on a pickup truck and mini-van, and stole 30 to 40 gallons of gas, police said.

The incident was discovered by company officials just before 9 a.m. Tuesday.

About five hours later, an 80-year-old Duxbury woman discovered that someone had done the same thing to her car.

Police said the woman parked her car on Aldrin Road Monday night with about three-quarters of a tank of gas.

The tank was empty when she returned to the car about 1 p.m. Tuesday. When she filled it up again, the gas ran out through three holes drilled into the tank, police said.

http://www.patriotledger.com/news/cops_and_courts/x2103872274

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Wow people do rediculous things for gas. I wonder if these people are actually trying to sell it after or just use it. Well Im glad my car has low round clearence, plus the fuel door lock, makes me a harder target. :)

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Skidplates :cool:

I guess there wouldn't be THAT much of a risk if its a plastic tank...would they be using a battery drill though? That could get nasty

·
Registered
264 Posts
Only one word comes to mind when I see this.....

BOOM!!!:D:lmao:

·
Registered
863 Posts
A few years ago when gas started to go up we had the gas siphoned from my dads truck twice while parked in front of our house. We now have locking gas caps on all our vehicles. I've never heard of drilling a tank to steal gas, that could cost someone $500-$1000 to repair. I really hope they catch these douche nozzles.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
They're just finding that out now? That's oooooooold news. Years old. lol

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
Didn't this happen last year or the year before too?
What part of the country is Plymouth?
Now we have to add weight to our vehicles by putting steel plates underneath them....Oh...and the extra cost...

·
Registered
944 Posts
www.fueleconomy.gov actually gives you you actual tank size of all cars and trucks sold in the USA. Most automobiles targeted for this crime will be pickup trucks and SUV's they have tanks in excess of 20 gallons with easy access. Minivans and crossovers would also be likely candidates too with relatively big gas tanks and decent ground clearance. The trucks are hit hard because many have 2 big cats with easy access. They usually just use one of those chain pipe cutters. Many people wil have both cats stolen off there trucks and tank siphoned in bad parts of the city over night.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.