·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holden, Swedish-style
By Hilton Holloway and Joshua Dowling
The Sydney Morning Herald
Wednesday April 7 2004

Saab has built a full-sized model of a potential new flagship based on the 2006 Commodore.
Holden could play a pivotal role in saving its struggling General Motors stablemate, the Swedish brand Saab.

The Australian brand, which clawed itself out of the doldrums and near-bankruptcy in the early 1980s, is now a crucial supplier of large-car expertise to the GM empire.

According to a highly placed source, Saab's design team has completed a new, large sedan based on the 2006 Commodore underpinnings. Internally, the vehicle is dubbed 9-6, indicating that the car is larger than the ageing 9-5 and could be a new flagship model.

It is widely accepted within GM that Saab can no longer build big, powerful executive cars on front-drive platforms.

The 9-5's front-drive layout has reached its power and performance limits. Increasing power outputs oblige makers to use rear- or all-wheel-drive.
http://www.drive.com.au/news/article.asp?a...FXZHBEBQSD.html

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Though the "digital manipulation" of the 9-6 in the article is far from what the car would actually look like, I think this Zeta-based 9-6 is a phenomenal idea! It's no secret I love the Zeta platform, based on what is planned/what we've seen on it, so I think the folks in Trollhattan should wrangle for their own, unique version... of course, sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Does anyone know if there is any truth to the rumor that DORAVILLE Georgia will become a ZETA assembly plant when Minivan production moves to Delta Township Michigan???

Rumor has it that Doraville will get a new CAMARO, Next Gen GTO, and VELITE (To be called Riviera).

Please let me know.

·
Registered
43,886 Posts
Yeaaahh... I had a feeling the rumors were true.

If anything, I think the 9-6 (or 9-6X) would make for a decent "executive" car. HOwever, I'm not quite sure if the 9-6 should be targeting the 5-series as its competitor. That's what the 9-5 is. I see nothing wrong with the 9-5 evolving into a more solid competitor (instead of a solid alternative) to the 5 or E or A6.

9-6 should target somewhere between the 5 & 7 and E & S.

I don't know much about the Holden platforms... so I can't say.

So in 4-5 years time, it's possible to have:

1) A revised, more Saab-y 9-2X.
2) An updated 9-3 with more HP and a wagon and possibly a high-output version
3) A revised 9-5 and wagon.
4) A new 9-6.
5) A revised 9-7X on a different platform.
6) A Kappa "9-X."

That's not bad at all.

That potentially is a lineup that is as strong if not stronger than Volvos, since Ford is reshuffling the PAG group (again).

·
Registered
809 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro@Apr 8 2004, 08:43 AM
Yeaaahh... I had a feeling the rumors were true.

If anything, I think the 9-6 (or 9-6X) would make for a decent "executive" car. HOwever, I'm not quite sure if the 9-6 should be targeting the 5-series as its competitor. That's what the 9-5 is. I see nothing wrong with the 9-5 evolving into a more solid competitor (instead of a solid alternative) to the 5 or E or A6.

9-6 should target somewhere between the 5 & 7 and E & S.

I don't know much about the Holden platforms... so I can't say.

So in 4-5 years time, it's possible to have:

1) A revised, more Saab-y 9-2X.
2) An updated 9-3 with more HP and a wagon and possibly a high-output version
3) A revised 9-5 and wagon.
4) A new 9-6.
5) A revised 9-7X on a different platform.
6) A Kappa "9-X."

That's not bad at all.

That potentially is a lineup that is as strong if not stronger than Volvos, since Ford is reshuffling the PAG group (again).
Sounds like a solid lineup to me! I think Saab will have to go rear-wheel drive if it has any chance whatsoever of being even a viable option to it's BMW brethren.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That picture is just a Commodore with a saab front end.
Zeta has more options then you think. Zeta could bring in a crossover wagon for saab. It would have a more sportier and tighter handling for what Saab needs. The 9-6 and 9-6x will be 2 great cars, and I do see them keeping up with the likes of the 5 and E. The STS is a bit larger, and I think the 9-6 and STS will be almost fighting for the same ground. So the power of Zeta gets stronger.... :frankie:

·
Registered
43,886 Posts
Originally posted by ibechip@Apr 8 2004, 02:47 PM

Sounds like a solid lineup to me! I think Saab will have to go rear-wheel drive if it has any chance whatsoever of being even a viable option to it's BMW brethren.
Weeelll... I don't know
Why does everyone complain that Saab needs to go RWD and move away from FWD? I think Saab can strike a nice balance between FWD and AWD.

No one complains that Volvo is mainly FWD still, with a few AWD exceptions.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Originally posted by GM-10@Apr 7 2004, 07:08 PM
Rumor has it that Doraville will get a new CAMARO, Next Gen GTO, and VELITE (To be called Riviera).

How do you know that it will be called Riviera?

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
GOOOOD I LIKE IIIIIIIIIIIIIT :D

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
A GM suit is a GM suit. Olds is gone and GM makes Saab into Olds so Saab can go bye bye in a few years. They never learn. Ford buy's Volvo, it's a success. GM buys Saab and is trying to screw it up. Volvo had a certain reputation, Ford did not screw with it. Saab had a certain reputation now it's going to become Oldsmobile. A GM suit is a GM suit.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Originally posted by yoblues@Apr 15 2004, 04:47 PM
Ford buy's Volvo, it's a success. Volvo had a certain reputation, Ford did not screw with it.
I agree. I'm glad they kept everything the same!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Originally posted by yoblues@Apr 15 2004, 10:47 PM
A GM suit is a GM suit. Olds is gone and GM makes Saab into Olds so Saab can go bye bye in a few years. They never learn.  Ford buy's  Volvo,  it's a success. GM buys Saab and is trying to screw it up.  Volvo had a certain reputation, Ford did not screw with it.  Saab had a certain reputation now it's going to become Oldsmobile. A GM suit is a GM suit.
How do you figure that? GM is trying to turn Saab into a more exclusive brand. Olds was never exclusive, they were a high end Pontiac.

Saab will be around for a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts