GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just suppose the "Voltless" was available as a 50 mpg(US) combined average vehicle in ICE mode with a plug-in 4 mile EV range and at a cost below $24,000.

By the way, the "Voltless" should be about 350 pounds lighter than the "Volt", because of reduced battery size and weight, giving the "Voltless" about a 3% better fuel economy in ICE and EV mode.

Sound interesting. And possibly marketable in late 2009. A great opportunity to develop customer confidence.

I guess GM probably would not be willing to take the risk of building and selling 100K units per year of "Voltless" units which could be done because less battery is required per unit.

Interestingly, the "Voltless" could be upgraded to a "Volt" after battery pack technology matured and prices fell.

This would be a great first platform to start with for future development.

But sadly, according to the data available, it sounds like it will be too small for my family's needs.

Just something to puzzle over considering the state of the US economy, OUR current financial crisis, and the state of the domestic auto industry/market.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
First of all, this isn't a news article.

Second, what you're talking about would be a diesel Cruze. 4 mile range is pointless.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That wouldn't make it any better than the Prius. You would still have to rely heavily on the gas engine. The whole point of the Volt is to be able to use no gas at all.
The purpose of submitting this idea was to get over 1 million FUEL FRUGAL units on US roads by 2015.

Based on public statements about "Volt" volume strategies suggest less than 100k units total by 2015.

Further, the "Voltless" provides the opportunity to ship 1.5 to 3 years before the full blown 16 kWh battery pack is sufficiently mature to ship. And it also allows the opportunity to increase battery pack volumes by a factor of 10X.

Sorry, the Cruze has not been on my radar. Appologies.

Is it over 50 mpg combined average? Is that with gasoline or diesel? When will Cruze be available in the US market? What is the expected price range?

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
The purpose of submitting this idea was to get over 1 million FUEL FRUGAL units on US roads by 2015.

Based on public statements about "Volt" volume strategies suggest less than 100k units total by 2015.

Further, the "Voltless" provides the opportunity to ship 1.5 to 3 years before the full blown 16 kWh battery pack is sufficiently mature to ship. And it also allows the opportunity to increase battery pack volumes by a factor of 10X.

Sorry, the Cruze has not been on my radar. Appologies.

Is it over 50 mpg combined average? Is that with gasoline or diesel? When will Cruze be available in the US market? What is the expected price range?
E-Flex intends to sell 1 million units by 2020.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem at all with a small battery Volt if it was capable of nearly 50mpg combined. GM has nothing like that currently. The Cruze will be lucky to hit 35mpg combined even if the hwy rating is 40+ like we're hoping. If the range was even just 8 miles it would allow certain trips to town by us to be done with no gas. Sure most trips would require gas usage but I could go to my childs school and back, the grocery store and back, all on electricity with just a 6-7 mile range. Does the Volt need to be all (40+ mile elec. range) or nothing (can't afford it)?

I think a 20 mile Volt was brought up before but it actually was talked about launching later than the 40 mile Volt. Not sure if it was just discussion or rumor that time, I don't recall GM ever mentioning it.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Maybe GM is keeping their mouth's shut for once? Lets hope BAS+ shows up (and works great) on Malibu and Cruze very soon, perhaps in 2010 or 2011 at the latest? Can a Cruze really average close to 50 mpg? I'd like to think it could but I have my doubts. How good is BAS+ going to be? It would be nice if GM didn't tell the whole world and just came out with these improvements and shocked everyone with great economy at a great price.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
E-Flex intends to sell 1 million units by 2020.
Unfortunately ... WE ... and ... the US economy ... need several million/year 44 mpg combined average or better machines starting NOW!

Any ideas what could fill that gap?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes: 37 mpg Cobalt XFE. Flex Fuel Impala. Drive the speed limit.
Your answer for 44 mpg combined average is

Cobalt XFE rated 30 mpg(US) combined average

Flex Fuel Impala rated 23 (17 with E85) mpg(US) combined average

Suppose I give you the

Hybrid Malibu rated 29 mpg(US) combined average

I agree that the Cobalt XFE and the Hybrid Malibu have better fuel economy than the average domestically built Det3 offerings, however, 29~30 mpg is a pretty LONG WAY from 44 mpg combined average.

Therefore, at best, IF the Cobalt XFE or the Hybrid Malibu replaced ALL ~300 million US vehicles, they could possibly reduce oil imports 60%.

However, 100 million 44 mpg vehicles has a chance of eliminating oil imports completely!

A 44 mpg vehicle consumes about 2.3 gallons of gasoline (or diesel) per 100 miles while the Flex Fuel Impala consumes 0.9 gallons of gasoline per 100 miles. That sounds good, but where do we get the required 5 gallons of ethanol per 100 miles for all those Flex Fuel vehicles?

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Yes: 37 mpg Cobalt XFE. Flex Fuel Impala. Drive the speed limit.
That's crazy talk. You're talking crazy, ya crazy old man.:fall:

j/k Ron..you old Hoosier you (whatever that is)

·
Premium Member
18,180 Posts
Your answer for 44 mpg combined average is

Cobalt XFE rated 30 mpg(US) combined average

Flex Fuel Impala rated 23 (17 with E85) mpg(US) combined average

Suppose I give you the

Hybrid Malibu rated 29 mpg(US) combined average

I agree that the Cobalt XFE and the Hybrid Malibu have better fuel economy than the average domestically built Det3 offerings, however, 29~30 mpg is a pretty LONG WAY from 44 mpg combined average.

Therefore, at best, IF the Cobalt XFE or the Hybrid Malibu replaced ALL ~300 million US vehicles, they could possibly reduce oil imports 60%.

However, 100 million 44 mpg vehicles has a chance of eliminating oil imports completely!

A 44 mpg vehicle consumes about 2.3 gallons of gasoline (or diesel) per 100 miles while the Flex Fuel Impala consumes 0.9 gallons of gasoline per 100 miles. That sounds good, but where do we get the required 5 gallons of ethanol per 100 miles for all those Flex Fuel vehicles?
Same place you get everything else: China.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts