GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen yesterday that Ford has introduced the new redesigned 2016 raptor, And today I seen RAM has introduced the 1500 rebel trim in its line. Both of these is are off road type pickups that has higher bumpers and more ground clearence and other features such as a bold apprence from their other versions of their pickup, Also Toyota has the TRD Pro package in the Tundra.
So the question is where is the Silverado ultimate off road pickup truck? And yes there is a version out there called the Reaper but its not something from the GM factory and also the trucks front especially the grille don't fit the Silverado look. Anyone know if gm is in the process of developing a truck like this of their own? or do they think its not worth while?
It would be really nice if the Colorado ZR2 concept could go into production and also make a Silverado 1500 ZR2 to go with it.

But do Anyone think gm should build a ultimate off road Silverado and call it ZR2? If so what would you expect to see?

·
Registered
5,366 Posts

Something like this.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
I just came across this article on Jalopnik about the Ram Runner, GM should listen to this guy too.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/ram-runner-developer-calls-chrysler-out-for-half-assed-1558444887

This is a quote from Kent Kroeker, the developer of the Ram Runner:

"The Ram is a great platform, but Chrysler would rather spend their government money jargoneering than invest in off road racing and vehicle development like Ford has done.

Getting in the arena takes strong leaders who are willing to take risks. I had a bunch of meetings in Detroit about production Ramrunner possibilities and all the Head Shed kept asking was, "couldn't we get away with a moderate shock and sticker package?"

Encouraging Chrysler to butch up and do it right was like asking a group of mouth-breathing DMV employees to stay 30 seconds after coffee break starts.

This sharply contrasts Ford's people - people who refused government money, released the expensive, gas-guzzling Raptor in a faltering economy, and still hit it out of the park. This is Corporate Ballsack we hardly see any more in America.

At this point, comparing a stock Raptor to a Ramrunner isn't valid. One is stock, one is aftermarket. With some extra money you can modify a Raptor to handle like a Ramrunner, but you can't purchase a new Ram truck with the word, "Ramrunner" on the Monroney.

Raptor wins. Ford wins.
"

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have a couple trucks and I off-road more than many people drive in a year.

A midsized is a great moderate trail truck. The ZR2 is a good mark to go after the Tacoma TRD PRO. Midsized trucks fit narrow trails better, are better for urban commutes and suburban garages. The Raptor and Power Wagon are excellent, but very large. The two segments don't pull much from one another and GM has a ton of ground to make up before they will beajor volume sellers.

A sticker and shock package (Z71) won't due and has damaged GMs credibility in the segments.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A Compact Off Road Truck won't cut it, it has to be Full Sized.[/QUOTE]

Well a compact off road truck is better than nothing....If the Colorado ZR2 is all what GM has to offer its better to take it than have neither off road truck from this manufacture.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Same old story time and again. Yes, you can buy a GM truck and do your own modifications to it, but today when you can go to other competitors and buy one already modded AND keep your factory warranty at the same time, that's a winner.

The amount of money these trucks are commanding, there's an awful lot of people not willing to risk a voided warranty, and will buy the Raptor or Power Wagon.

Just my $0.02

Again...... GM are you listening?

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
OK 1 Question. "Do you even own a truck?"

A Compact Off Road Truck won't cut it, it has to be Full Sized.
Ideally GM should have both a full-size and compact off-roader.

Reactions: SDRacing

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
This has been brought up many times, but always dies out. I was hoping to see something from Chevrolet at the NAIAS in the form of a Silverado ZR2, something to compete "head to head" with Ford (like mustang vs Camaro). Ford has proven there's a market for this truck, and as some of you may know, the after-market is a multi-billion dollar/yr industry. Offroad racing is a huge sport, and continues to grow throughout the U.S.

One thing I've always noticed with these GM prototypes (until the new Colorado ZR2) is they always look like "mall crawlers" or "trailer queens". The rule of thumb for offroading is the rim is usually half the diameter of the tire. You never see a short/stiff sidewall tire do well offroad, and this also attributes to a harsher ride as well. All GM has to do is research!!.

The Silverado ZR2 that was at SEMA a few years ago, was not too bad, but they could've done it right:

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

- The extended cab with shortbed was very nice, and fits in with the offroad crowd (think nimble/quick). But, they did away with the extended cab anyways........:tdown::(imho).
- rims too big
- The Silverado already had built in fender flares, all they had to do was rework them somewhat, not add extended flares.
- but it has 500 hp they said!!! :whoa:. All the hp in the world wont matter if you cant keep the tires on the ground...which brings up the last point.
- no true long travel suspension to soak up the bumps (a la raptor/ram runner). Just a bolt on lift kit..... yeah they look pretty ....but.....

Don't get me started on that reaper......lol.

Sorry guys, its late, and im rambling.....but if you're into offroad, check out my offroading page in my sig!! giggity...

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
I just came across this article on Jalopnik about the Ram Runner, GM should listen to this guy too.

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/ram-runner-developer-calls-chrysler-out-for-half-assed-1558444887

This is a quote from Kent Kroeker, the developer of the Ram Runner:

"The Ram is a great platform, but Chrysler would rather spend their government money jargoneering than invest in off road racing and vehicle development like Ford has done.

Getting in the arena takes strong leaders who are willing to take risks. I had a bunch of meetings in Detroit about production Ramrunner possibilities and all the Head Shed kept asking was, "couldn't we get away with a moderate shock and sticker package?"

Encouraging Chrysler to butch up and do it right was like asking a group of mouth-breathing DMV employees to stay 30 seconds after coffee break starts.

This sharply contrasts Ford's people - people who refused government money, released the expensive, gas-guzzling Raptor in a faltering economy, and still hit it out of the park. This is Corporate Ballsack we hardly see any more in America.

At this point, comparing a stock Raptor to a Ramrunner isn't valid. One is stock, one is aftermarket. With some extra money you can modify a Raptor to handle like a Ramrunner, but you can't purchase a new Ram truck with the word, "Ramrunner" on the Monroney.

Raptor wins. Ford wins.
"
Yeah some balls putting a Ecoboost V6 into the next Raptor. Thats spells weaksauce. No guts at all, just go along with what CAFE and the GOV wants, no bucking the trend there.

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Yeah some balls putting a Ecoboost V6 into the next Raptor. Thats spells weaksauce. No guts at all, just go along with what CAFE and the GOV wants, no bucking the trend there.
What's Chevy or GMC got? They don't even have a V6 off road truck. The Ram Runner isn't produced anymore, Toyota doesn't have anything that can compete. Ford has more balls than any of the other makes when it comes to factory built off road trucks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts