GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recent announcement that Ford would stop production of its full size SUVs for 5 weeks at Michigan Truck in Wayne, Michigan, it begs a question:Should Ford move production of the Expy/Nav somewhere else. As it stands so far this year, they are on there way to sell less than 80,000 units this year. The profitability of the plant is coming into question. No plant such as this can keep a good profit with such low numbers sold. We all do not want Michigan Truck to die. There is a light at the tunnel though. With the F-150 sales going down as well, there are going to be openings at the Kansas City Plant which could easily have the Expy/Nav built there. Now with the Focus, which is built across thr road more or less from Michigan Truck, ramping up sales, Wayne Assembly is running out of room. This will get even more serious when we get the new world Focus in MY11 and new C-Max in MY12. Ford should refit Michigan Truck to built the C1s. I know, this will cost millions of dollars to refit it, but Ford really doesnt have another plant online that could do it. With the extra room still at Mi Truck even with these Fords they could easily build the low-profit Volvo C30 and C70 here and ship them across the world to boost up the profitability of the two.

Now there still stands the problem of slowing Expy/Nav sales. When the next generation comes out, Ford should give both of them a SUT model to compete better against the GM models and build a 2 door for the Expy to give the Bronco fans a true full size "Bronco." This of course would not cut into planned compact Bronco based on the concept in MY11 or 12.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
imho if a Ford-BRAND vehicle isn't selling in volume, they're building the wrong thing!
(Lincoln-Mercury is a nother matter)
so
imho the Expedition is already dead
unless
they make major changes or put it on a different platform
linkage & T6 examples

the 3rd one's what I'm calling 'Expedition'

&
think my definition of flexible assembly is a bit different from Ford's (so far)
ie able to build different platforms on the same assembly line
so even if they built ^these^ 4 trucklets on the same line,
I wouldn't consider it flexible

·
Registered
264 Posts
Does the Focus STILL loose 4,000 per car?

Sorry folks but building even MORE of a looser is just gonna kill Ford. I have NO idea why the Focus was even MOVED here.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Does the Focus STILL loose 4,000 per car?

Sorry folks but building even MORE of a looser is just gonna kill Ford. I have NO idea why the Focus was even MOVED here.
Im pretty sure that the new focus is actually making money per car.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
No thats Dearborn Truck thats getting the F-100 and Bronco. Dearborn is where the F-150 is made.
nope the F100 starts production during the first half of 2011 at Ford's Michigan Truck Plant

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
^^Correct.

One thing with MTP is that its shift will go over to WAP to help out on the Focus - WAP is going to overtime within a month. The two plants are so close, they can do there.

Igor

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nope the F100 starts production during the first half of 2011 at Ford's Michigan Truck Plant
Its been said that the F-150 and F-100 will be built along the same assembly line. The F-150 is built at Dearborn Truck and Kansas City Assembly. Dearborn Truck also makes the sonn to be discontinued Mark LT and Kansas City also makes the Escape triplets. Now with the Mark LT leaving and Escape triplets numbers going up, which plant do u think the F-100 is going to. Its going to be Dearborn Truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts