GM Inside News Forum banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
OMG guys I'm talkin supercharged! I don't think I even seen the turbo model yet!:fall:
But in what I quoted earlier you said there was no way his times for the turbo model were correct, and that they couldn't be that fast. I was just pointing out that they were in fact realistic times for that vehicle.

As far as the other BS on this thread, I could care less, I don't have a dog in this hunt, I can appreciate all vehicles, especially GMs.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I will do that just for you. I live in PA never raced in winter but I don't think it's open till spring time. I will check though. I'm a member of this site for the long haul. I'll be here when I do and I'll post it ok?:drive:
I'm just as intrigued as my younger brother is on your 1/4 mile time. Especially since I happen to own a car with a GM 60 degree V6 (though mine is the 3.1 LG8 variant) and not the 3.4 that is in your car. While It's fairly impressive that you claim to have 264 horsepower on tap (especially since the Z34 engine is not easy to work on due to the cramped nature of the engine bay) I would like to see a dyno slip or graph as well because It would be fairly interesting to see how much of those 264 horses is actually going onto the road. Of course it is still winter so there's no rush. Also the heavy weight of your car will be a disadvantage when going up against the likes of GTI's and L67 equipped cars.

Either way the 60 degree engines are torquey engines but there is no way your Lumina can possibly beat a Cobalt SS Turbo (maybe the 173 horsepower SS or the supercharged model) but I suspect it would have a hard time against a turbo cobalt especially since that cobalt has better fuel injection (direct injection is better performance wise than your luminas sequential injection) among other things

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm just as intrigued as my younger brother is on your 1/4 mile time. Especially since I happen to own a car with a GM 60 degree V6 (though mine is the 3.1 LG8 variant) and not the 3.4 that is in your car. While It's fairly impressive that you claim to have 264 horsepower on tap (especially since the Z34 engine is not easy to work on due to the cramped nature of the engine bay) I would like to see a dyno slip or graph as well because It would be fairly interesting to see how much of those 264 horses is actually going onto the road. Of course it is still winter so there's no rush. Also the heavy weight of your car will be a disadvantage when going up against the likes of GTI's and L67 equipped cars.

Either way the 60 degree engines are torquey engines but there is no way your Lumina can possibly beat a Cobalt SS Turbo (maybe the 173 horsepower SS or the supercharged model) but I suspect it would have a hard time against a turbo cobalt especially since that cobalt has better fuel injection (direct injection is better performance wise than your luminas sequential injection) among other things
First of all thats 264 whp. Also mine has MPI (MULTI PORT INJECTION) not sequential! Second the larger in jectors sit just out side the intake opening on the heads. Third I missquoted I was Talking about the supercharged Cobalt. 264whp puts my engine north of 300hp at the crank. Sequential injection was'nt even an option in Lumina till after 94', when the body style changed. The Cobalt I raced had me to "about" 150ft or so. I almost certain the Cobalt "SUPERCHARGED" can't turn 7200+ rpm. NO factory Cobalt has a supercharger makeing useable boost past 4500rpm I'm guessing! Yes it is heavy and the engine compartment is tight. Also as for your bros 3.1 you might look into a turbo for it. There was 2 years in late 89'- early 90s' that Pontiac offered a 3.1 turbo Grandprix. My 3.4 dohc had to have a lot off "one offs" built in my shop. The after market is very limited for that engine config.
I have the dyno slip I will post for eveyone to see in my profile. My account dont permit me to post atachments!:drive:

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
First of all thats 264 whp. Also mine has MPI (MULTI PORT INJECTION) not sequential! Second the larger in jectors sit just out side the intake opening on the heads. Third I missquoted I was Talking about the supercharged Cobalt. 264whp puts my engine north of 300hp at the crank. Sequential injection was'nt even an option in Lumina till after 94', when the body style changed. The Cobalt I raced had me to "about" 150ft or so. I almost certain the Cobalt "SUPERCHARGED" can't turn 7200+ rpm. NO factory Cobalt has a supercharger makeing useable boost past 4500rpm I'm guessing! Yes it is heavy and the engine compartment is tight. Also as for your bros 3.1 you might look into a turbo for it. There was 2 years in late 89'- early 90s' that Pontiac offered a 3.1 turbo Grandprix. My 3.4 dohc had to have a lot off "one offs" built in my shop. The after market is very limited for that engine config.
I have the dyno slip I will post for eveyone to see in my profile. My account dont permit me to post atachments!:drive:
Before I go any further I think you got me and my bro a tad mixed up (454 has the riv coupe and my car is the Malibu with the 3.1 LG8) Anyway The tight engine compartment statement was actually a compliment (they are a pain to work on) and the 3.1 in the Turbo Grand Prix is alot different than the 3.1 in my car not to mention that they are on two completely different platforms (W body for the GP and the N body for my car) If you want to post the dyno slip do what i do when I post spy pics here. Take a picture of it with a digital camera (in such a way so the text is readable) set up a photobucket account, post it on there and then post the IMG code in a new post Happy posting :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I stand corrected that's pretty impressive numbers It must have been pretty pricey getting the parts and the materials for some of those "one off parts you made in your shop. I'm actually studying to be an automotive technician when I'm not behind the lens shooting test cars for BP GMI and Fomoco news. Anyway sorry for my initial doubt Again i stand corrected

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Okay, mines seventeen years old no real trouble though. I guess some are good and some were not so good. Also parts are not that pricey. But I would'nt expect a Ford junk owner to understand! Just pokin you. My father inlaw has a Ford Ranger he say's it's the worst Ford he's ever had. He hardly drives the thing and it's always got something wrong or something breaks. He especially enjoyed the $300.00+ GEM or JEM sensor going out, causeing his windsheild wipers to constantly turn on by them selves and the ignition buzzer to buzz out off nowhere! The cab lights would turn on and off when they wanted to aswell. He used to get so mad at the time cause I used to say "Dont have that in my chevy!" LOL He left it here once to go with my wife out to eat and its alarm started to go off I called my wifes cell had them turn around to come back. Funny part was as they were pulling up it just turned it's self off LOL. Never will there be a Ford sitting in my lot! But to each his own I guess.:lmao:
Actually the Ranger is a really reliable truck overall, especially if you stay away from the 4.0 SOHC and 2.9 Cologne motors. The lights turning on and off thing can easily be solved with a little WD-40 in the door jam sensors (mine started to do the same thing, now fixed). Mines (97 2.3L 4 cyl) got 100k on it and in the time I've had it, the only thing I've had to replace is the starter relay. It's never done anything weird like you speak of, and averages 24 mpg to boot. Go on some Ford/Ranger message boards some time and go look up all the people with 200k+ miles with little to no problems at all.

I can understand you trying to give your father-in-law some crap, but Chevy or Ford fan, Ranger's as a whole are hardly "junk".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ive had it, this is the last straw (this is going to be a rant, just to let you know.) Im a college student at the age of 21, Ive had my pickup (God bless that thing) since I could drive. I got this 1995 Monte Carlo 3.4L DOHC this past summer becasue i needed better fuel mileage, truthfully my mom bought it without my consent or checking it out, so I was hosed, and now im out $1500.00. What a great wrapup to 2006 and a sh*thole start to 2007 :

Ive replaced a camshaft sensor($95), 2 O2 sensors($50, second one was under warranty), 3 vaccum lines ($5), an intake gasket($20), a fuel regulator($50), PROM chip(#75), and an injector($90). This car has been nothing but trouble.

Ive been battling an idel issue with this car that is known with this engine. I solved the problem today, after 3 months of testing it. The O2 sensor went bad for the second time, and I had to update the prom chip. From what Ive read online and through many forums I am a member at, I am the only one whos solved this problem, for that I am very proud. But today a plate in the tranny went out. I cannot afford nor do I want to put any more money into this car. I was planning on getting it running and selling it this summer.

The 3.4 engine is the worst engine GM has ever built, and the T4 transmission paired with it is the weakest too. This car does not deserve the bowtie. Im so sick of this POS monte carlo.

I am a huge GM/chevy fan, I have a bowtie wrapped in barbed wire on my arm, but this series car/motor/tranny is the wost I have ever come across.

Im attending college right now, i have no money, i cant afford a new car. I have to drive the truck, at 11-13mpg im going to take a hit in gas during the school year and in summer when i drive 40miles a day roundtrip to work. 2007 is becoming 2006, a horrible year. My parents are going through a divorce, its dragged on for a year, the house is going to be sold.

this is an old thread, but let me say you are totally WRONG about that. You're problem is, you don't have any money, to drive any car and repair/maintain it.

The 3.4 DOHC was the BEST V-6 engine that GM ever made, up to the time they released their "new" DOHC V-6 engines recently. I drove my 1995 GTP to 180,000 miles and just sold it for $1800- and it would run rings around the 2001 Monte SS I bought to replace it with. The 3.4 DOHC is way better than the POS 3800 series II engine, which I consider a DOG. There are a few issues that need attention with a 3.4 DOHC, i.e. change the timing belt and fix the distributor plug oil leak- but beyond that, the 3.4 DOHC is a powerhouse. If I could find another one with low miles I'd buy it and sell this Monte SS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not to sound like a troll, but if you're buying a used car, especially one that old, buying a japanese marque is really the better choice reliability wise. I personally wouldnt have even considered that car if i were buying a 1995 used car. Id get something like an accord.

are you freakin' nuts ? I would not be caught dead in a Japper car, or any foreign car for that matter. As if a Japper car never breaks down...they rot out from under you in 10 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Those 3.4 are total crap stick with something with a3.8 with that mileage. My father in law had one from brand new for 6 months, Ran like crap a real turd got traded in .

wrong- I have a 3800, my old 3.4 DOHC would run rings around it. No comparison, the 3.4 DOHC had way more power. Rated at 15HP more, actually felt like 50HP more.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Sounds like someone has issues and decided to join GMI to take care of them. Better cool it, bud, or you won't be here long.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
this is an old thread, but let me say you are totally WRONG about that. You're problem is, you don't have any money, to drive any car and repair/maintain it.

The 3.4 DOHC was the BEST V-6 engine that GM ever made, up to the time they released their "new" DOHC V-6 engines recently. I drove my 1995 GTP to 180,000 miles and just sold it for $1800- and it would run rings around the 2001 Monte SS I bought to replace it with. The 3.4 DOHC is way better than the POS 3800 series II engine, which I consider a DOG. There are a few issues that need attention with a 3.4 DOHC, i.e. change the timing belt and fix the distributor plug oil leak- but beyond that, the 3.4 DOHC is a powerhouse. If I could find another one with low miles I'd buy it and sell this Monte SS.
Wow really? What planet are you from? Ask anyone around bud...... the reliability of this engine is..... terrible. The power on the other hand... is good.

I dont have any money to fix it? Sorry that I don't want to throw money at my car, I shouldn't have to other than regular maintenece.

I have been driving the other 1995 Monte Caro Z34 that we have. (I've become the owner.) This car has been pretty good. A water pump and idler pulley at 188,xxx. I put a cold air intake on it, and made a custom hot air deflector for it. The car is pretty decent. It gets around 24mpg (in the winter.) This particular car was manufactured in Canada. I think that may make a difference.

The 3.8L engine is one of the best engines GM has ever made (IMO.)

The 3.4L is a nightmare to work on. I've done so much to it, I know so much about it. It took myself and a buddy 4 hours to change the plugs/wires!!! I had to unbolt the intake plenum and run the wires underneath! Are you kidding me? Yikes.....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Chevrolettough: you are right and he's wrong.
IMO ANY engine derived from the 2.8L is probably gonna be crap.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts

oh my God...not just "omg"

I wouldn't call it a complete piece of garbage, but it doesn't deserve to be on any "best" list

·
Registered
1 Posts
being a employee of gm for 15 years I have to tell you that your wrong. the block used for the 3.4 is the same as the 2.8, 3.1, and 3.3. the stroke is the same and the bore is different

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
My personal history of buying used-I went 50/50 with my daughter on a Honda Civic (3 yrs old-20,000 miles) and she went off to the great state of Alabama for grad school (6 yrs ago). She is now married and has traveled over the USA with that little hummer which now has 140,000 miles and, until now, has needed nothing more than oil changes, a battery, tires,....the usual maintenance stuff. It has a tiny, tinny feel versus my 2004 Monte but I can say nothing bad about their reliability. And, no matter what every else says, realibility only is defined by what you experience (unlike my 79 Iron Duke Sunbird that needed a motor rebuild at 50K miles and of which the trans would not ship as delivered from GM. But like my 89 Caravan which was solid for the first 110,000 miles).

·
Banned
2,178 Posts
The Twin Cam 3.4 was an awesome engine for the enthusiast; it sounded great, was very smooth, and loved to wrap out. Unfortunately it was rather high maintenance.

The 3800 was a great engine for a soccer mom or the elderly; it had good low end torque, good mileage, and decent long term reliablty. Unfortunately it ran like an old porch dog.

·
Super Moderator
21,409 Posts
The 3800 was a great engine for a soccer mom or the elderly; it had good low end torque, good mileage, and decent long term reliablty. Unfortunately it ran like an old porch dog.
I love the 3800, but towards the end of its life, it became, well, geriatric.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
I think maybe the 3800 is more of an internet meme than anything else... just the intake manifold gaskets alone make its reliability pretty mediocre at best. Sure, it is way better than a Ford Vulcan overall but compared to competitive engines, "wow I drove it for 200 000 miles" doesn't mean much on an engine made in the 1990's or more recently.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

121 - 140 of 150 Posts